• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vance Info?

colkruk951

pilot
I know what everyone is thinking, why is he bringing up Vance when all he needs to do is look at all of the old posts. Well, I have gone through every post on this site and I noticed that there are not that many current posts.

Here is the thing - I am going to Vance after API some time in November and I was wondering if anyone who has been there has any current advice regarding what I should expect in terms of anything from housing to flying to nightlife.

I know some of you are prone to trash talking Vance and I understand that your opinions may very well be the truth, but I do not really have a choice. Therefore, I ask that you might leave comments that are going to be helpful. Thanks guys and I appreciate your insight.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Read my old posts. They are still accurate

All the old posts are still accurate.

As for housing, they are now requiring everyone (including us of the Maritime Mafia) to live i nthe dormitories, unless you have a family here. Expect a 4 week wait to class up, then about 4 weeks of academics (think API, but without an instructor... it's all done on computer).

When you hit the flightline, your world will end. Tomorrow is day Eleven of the "Fifteen Day Program" for my class. We arrive at the ready-room every morning at about 0515. we then set the room up for FORMAL BRIEF. During formal brief, you sit at attention for 45 minutes... while your class assigned "Weather Officer" gives a short formal weather report, then you go around the room reciting NOTES WARNING AND CAUTIONS that you memorized the nigh before. Expect between 12 and 20 of these that you must memorize VERBATIM and be able to say while standing at the POA without any hesitation.

After NOTES WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS, you will be asked random questions about your excessive reading assignment from the night before. After you go through these questions, one of your lucky classmates (or you!) gets to stand at the POA in front of the IP and the class and go into insane detail about how you would recover an aircraft given a set-up and Emergency Procedure that the IP tells you. "I will then use my left hand to retard the throttle at a quick rate. When it is in IDLE, I will then use my Pointer and Middle fingers of my left hand to raise the PCL Gate approximatly one inch. Then I will move the PCL all the way aft. I expect this will shut down my engine. I will then watch for a fall in N1. I will see my NP begin to fall, as well as my ITT. My Master Warn and ....." etc.

You will fvck it up. They will make you feel like an idiot.

On average, My days so far in the 15 day program have basically stood like this:
*0500 - 1700 in the flightroom, flying, sims, or studying. You cannot leave for meals.
*1700 - 1900 Dinner, and Study NOTES WARNINGS & CAUTIONS
*1900 - 2200 Studying/Reading the assignments for the next day
*2200 - 0345 BEDTIME (I'm lucky, I know of a few guys that dont allocate even 5 hours to sleep a night)
*0345 - 0445 Shower, Review that days Emergency Procedure, Eat Breakfast, last minute studying of NOTES WARNINGS & CAUTIONS
*0445 - 0459Drive to the base, park, and get to work!

And the rest depends on your Flight Commander. I'm not saying any names, but some of the AF Captains here lhave their ENTIRE flights on CAP, (Commanders Awareness Program) and also requires the class to come in on Saturdays for 12 hours (Half my class is in a flight like this).

Welcome to Pilot Training. Welcome to Vance. Prepare to miss Pensacola.

The T-6 is fun... There is not much recreation to be had here. You will probably have NO social life until your classes start, and then your class will become your social hub. You will study with them at a coffeeshop in the evenings, you will see them during the day, you will go to that one guy who's offbase house on the weekends with a keg and a deck of cards. And that's about it. Especially while you're fresh to the flightline, don't expect to have time to do much other than study. I know you've heard that before... and if I was in your shoes, I wouldn't take what I'm saying as serious as I should. But you WILL study harder here than you did in Pensacola. You will work harder, and study longer, and perform worse on tests than you EVER have before. That's just how it works when they give you a 5 pound bag and 15 pounds of sh!t.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
In my experience the trash talking is justified. I finished up there in July and wasn't very pleased. It's not all bad though. The T-6 is awesome so you got that going for you. Enid doesn't have much. You'll probably split your time between Scooters and the Super Wal-Mart. In both cases you should see some extremely interesting people. For night life, going to OKC or Stillwater were always good options but kind of an expensive pain. In Enid, Callahan’s is ok, it's downtown. Scooters you just have to see to believe. Don't go until you are drunk or you won't enjoy it nearly as much. Chicarro's is ok once in a while. You can throw horse shoes and get a decent steak. That's about it. As far as what to expect in general I'm not sure what to tell you. If you have specific questions let me know. I'm one of the many guys who didn't like Vance, but I'll be as unbiased as I can.

Jay

You guys make me laugh when all I hear is how bad Vance is, yada yada yada. Hate to break the news to you, but for all you Jet hopefuls, I can almost guarantee you that Meridian is worse than Enid. What, you're naming just a couple bars you go to in Enid? Oh, I'm sorry, did I not mention there isn't ONE worthwhile bar to go to here? The biggest parties I've gone to are on my back porch, and you have instructors yelling at you? Sounds like you'll be well prepared for Jdizzle.

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
I'll second the meridian comment. I was happier at vance than in meridian, that's for sure. Enid might be a miserable little town, but at least the residents speak a form of english that you can understand. I don't think I can say the same about meridian. If you are into hunting or fishing there are some places pretty close to go for this. There is no beaver season, but you can shoot them year-around. My class got together on weekends and shot trap and stuff like that.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
"I will then use my left hand to retard the throttle at a quick rate. When it is in IDLE, I will then use my Pointer and Middle fingers of my left hand to raise the PCL Gate approximatly one inch. Then I will move the PCL all the way aft. I expect this will shut down my engine. I will then watch for a fall in N1. I will see my NP begin to fall, as well as my ITT. My Master Warn and ....." etc.

You have got to be f_cking kidding me.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
You have got to be f_cking kidding me.

Oh... that's not even close. Look at it this way:

Tomorrow's EP is an Engine Failure in flight. I Chair-Flew the EP this evening, exactly as I plan to do it tomorrow if they call on me... and I think it took me a good twenty minutes.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The T-6 is fun...

So is the T-34....:p

Sorry guys...I feel like I can say this cause one of my best buds is up there right now...There are upsides to Air Force training....I just can't think of any....time for another beer!

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
You guys make me laugh when all I hear is how bad Vance is, yada yada yada. Hate to break the news to you, but for all you Jet hopefuls, I can almost guarantee you that Meridian is worse than Enid. What, you're naming just a couple bars you go to in Enid? Oh, I'm sorry, did I not mention there isn't ONE worthwhile bar to go to here? The biggest parties I've gone to are on my back porch, and you have instructors yelling at you? Sounds like you'll be well prepared for Jdizzle.

^^^^^:weeping_1^^^^^

You kids kill me.

Ralph

It must suck being a single IP in either Meridian or Vance. Guess you go on lots of CC's or drive to a big city hopping to hook up.

Strobes

pilot
Vance isnt that bad

First off, Vance is not that bad, I've been here since April and I'm almost done. I've had nothing but fun since I've gotten here. If you want to have fun, you can. You can be miserable anywhere, people said P-cola sucked but it was a blast. My class up here bought an old school bus and turned it into a party bus with a stereo and bar in it and we take it everywhere and party all the time. Every weekend up here is a great time. If you havent been here, dont post anything.

Second, the whole standup thing and formal release is annoying but guess what? YOU ARE A ****ING STUDENT PILOT, don't ***** about learning to fly. The T-6 is a badass brand-new aircraft that totally outperforms the T-34 and you will love flying it.

All the Navy guys that I hang out with up here love Vance and we party like Rockstars every weekend. Its all about your attitude. Every one of us can't wait to get back to the Navy, but we all would choose Vance again, despite all the BS.

Bottom line, if you come up here with the right attitude, you will love it. If not, you will hate it.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I will say those guys with the bus seemed to be enjoying themselves more than my class.

PURower

pilot
I have really enjoyed flying the T-6. It is alot of fun to fly. The housing situation seems to change from week to week. A friend of mine who is in 07-15 was able to live off base no questions asked. SO it really depends on who you meet first when you get here and the current housing situation. I personally was told I had to take a place in one of the on base dorms.