• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VANCE - Facts about Primary?

Saluki

Aside from the strike which is currently in progress, can somebody give me some hard facts about primary at Vance? All I have heard about Vance is to avoid it like the plague! I just checked in to P-cola recently and in the check-in brief they said that if you volunteer for Vance you will class up for API in about a weeks time. That sounds very tempting and all (better than 18 week wait to class up), however, I have not talked to one person that has said anything good about the place... (Mainly lower grades, lots of required study hrs on base, AF training, shitty living, etc..) I do not want to go in and ask the LT for info on it and end up getting voluntold to go there. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It's a simple choice:

Choose vance and class up in a week. You'll hate life with "mandatory study periods" and having the AF breathe down your neck 24/7 and get fvcked over on the grading system.

OR

Choose Whiting or Corpus and do the more laid back "big boy" Navy program, and in the meantime get 18 weeks off to party, drink, relax and get paid?

Why would you WANT to class up quickly? You're getting paid to party in A pool..

You decide....

McBuff

Sees the light
FYI, assuming you don't need IFS, the class up times are much quicker than they have been. 8-10 weeks maybe? Have fun enjoy the town and play some cheap golf.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I remember when I first got here I was frustrated as hell for waiting (I was told 24 weeks when I showed up in January). I was thisclose to volunteering for Vance, especially after all the A-Pool shenanigans and inspections and stuff. But I'm glad I didn't. I ended up classing up after 18 weeks and more than enjoyed my free time off. It kind of sucked in the winter months, but when March rolled around and the weather got good Pensacola really started to grow on me. The place really livened up and the beach is great. If you want to volunteer it's up to you. But summer is here and the place is starting to get real fun.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I was told I'd class up early if I volunteered. I fell for it. I didn't class up earlier then the people I checked in with and I did go to Vance. Hopefully that's changed. Facts about Vance that I remember:
-Mando 12 hr days until informal release (usually towards the end of the program, sometimes taken away for real or manufactured reasons)
-You do their version of API before you start "primary" (they call it phase II I think), but its T-6 specific
-Enid is really small. It has one club and save one or 2 DD's I don't think anyone in the military has ever gone there sober. It isn't a place you want to go sober. It will frighten you. Then again, if you go too drunk, you may find yourself even more frightened the next morning.
-The best restaurant in Enid is a tie between Western Sizzlin and The Golden Coral. (There is actually one small place with a small menu that makes a good steak and has horse shoe pits, but the name escapes me)
-Minimal at best EP training in the aircraft. They do them in a formal brief environment with you standing at attention while discussing what you'd look at and how you'd handle the situation. (I think this is probably one of the things people really don't like about the AF way).
-You often get pretty tight with the guys in your class since you're forced to spend so much time together.
-You are (at least were when I was their) compared to other Navy stud's at Vance for NSS purposes, so getting fucked over on the grades is only a concern if you end up with jerk off IP's (which can happen anywhere).

There are some that I remember. I was 07-04 so it?s been a few years. If someone sees something that's changed let him know. Hope this helps. Good luck, fly safe.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Enjoy PCola. I didn't volunteer to go to Vance until after I was IFS complete and knew I'd be classing up the next week anyways. If you get it you get it, if not, no big deal. Poke around here, as there are some informative threads on the 'nid experience, not secondhand nonsense from people who haven't been there.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
Yeah, I'm thinking about Vance myself, but still have to make it through IFS. I'll make the call when I class up for API. BTW, Godspeed, thanks for detailing your perspective on Vance - it's certainly provided me with a more balanced image. Anyway, I agree that getting paid to sit arouind and party it is a great deal while you wait to classs up, but ultimately, that ain't why I'm here...

Saluki, I too have met the Snookie...anyone else?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Anyway, I agree that getting paid to sit arouind and party it is a great deal while you wait to classs up, but ultimately, that ain't why I'm here...

You will have plenty of no time off in the future. Enjoy time off when you can it. This is the time and place to do it. Some of you are so worried about when you're going to start, where to go, etc, etc. You're not even in a place to worry about it. Let it flow, stay Navy, enjoy the beach, enjoy your time.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
Well put. Pretty soon you will start losing leave because you won't be able to use it in time. This is a great opportunity to catch up with family and/or work on obtaining meaningless sex.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
There is a RUMOR that the T-6 may return to Moody AFB in GA. Anybody know if the Navy will send studs there again???

torpedo0126

There is a RUMOR that the T-6 may return to Moody AFB in GA. Anybody know if the Navy will send studs there again???

I don't think the Air Force uses Moody for UPT anymore. I believe training bases are:

Randolph, Vance, McLaughlin, Columbus and Sheppard