• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vance afb ip

FLY_USMC

pilot
Actually I'm pretty sure you could...at leat when I was there, take a jet(at the time) anywhere you wanted with another IP. It was like proficiency training flights, and you got so many of them a month. We had some meet us at S. Padre Island which was an impressive haul 2 leg in the Tweet back in the day.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Right now money is ridiculously tight and the student load is pretty high, so there is not a whole lot of non-student-training cross country flying going on.

But, the system is set up so that IPs can get the "keys to the airplane" on the weekends when funds allow. It is not quite as permissive as I hear it is with T-34 guys (with respect to where you can go and how often you can go there), but it's still a crapload more permissive that anywhere else I know of in the AF. One of the few good deals available.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
the system is set up so that IPs can get the "keys to the airplane" on the weekends when funds allow... One of the few good deals available.
Exactly. When I was going CCX with a student, I would try to hit the typical "local" spots (Texas tour, Colorado, NM) with the best weather so that we could get multiple instrument approaches on each IFR leg and make some money. But when there was enough cash for IPs to go on CT (Continuation Training) CCX, we could get more creative with our locations and distance from Vance. AETC put out a list of approved civilian airfields where the RON security and services were certified and we'd go from there.

Best deal ever? One year we had so much money in September our DO (kind of like a Navy XO) gave us the green light for SOLO CCX. I jumped on that like a fat kid on cake. I flew solo in formation with a buddy VFR to Albuquerque for gas and right around sunset, he took off for parts unknown and I flew to Salt Lake City. Saw some friends, got a chocolate belgian waffle on Saturday for breakfast, and flew IFR back to Albuquerque for gas then VFR through the Rockies into Denver. Went to a Rockies game Saturday night and 2 hopped it back to Vance on Sunday. Gave me a true appreciation for the workload all my single seat bretheren deal with.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
I flew solo in formation with a buddy VFR to Albuquerque for gas and right around sunset, he took off for parts unknown and I flew to Salt Lake City. Saw some friends, got a chocolate belgian waffle on Saturday for breakfast, and flew IFR back to Albuquerque for gas then VFR through the Rockies into Denver. Went to a Rockies game Saturday night and 2 hopped it back to Vance on Sunday. Gave me a true appreciation for the workload all my single seat bretheren deal with.

The general aviation dream when you have a fast plane (and the money to fuel it)...the reason I live for flying. Nothing compares to a weekend like that...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Holy thread resurrection, Joboy! Anyone have any gouge on the local housing market in Enid (or parts nearby). Where to live? Prices? Realtors? BAH?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Say it ain't so...

I guess someone has gotta be the example to the all the USAF kiddies showing them why they joined the right service, "There I was, using all the mad skillz I learned from Riddle and my tour in the shit, doing another VERTREP....."

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So nobody has anything intelligent to contribue to the discussion? Got it... And yes, I'm stoked. :D

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
The NW side of Enid is the best place to live. Don't live East of the tracks running through town.

Many instructors who were stationed there chose to live on the north side of OKC in Edmond and commute to work. It is a solid 50 minute drive to and from Vance, but it is much better housing and puts you much closer to civilization than staying in Enid.