• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vacation USA

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
You don't visit significant industrial sites on your free time?

Ever since I saw a post on it, I've wanted to see the Soo Locks.

That said, all Navy folks should go see Old Ironsides if they end up in Boston.
Not sure if they bring the OCS folks up from Newport, But the Chiefs class comes up and wakes up all the condo owners with their motivation runs, I love it>

Dontcallmegump

pilot
Not sure if they bring the OCS folks up from Newport, But the Chiefs class comes up and wakes up all the condo owners with their motivation runs, I love it>

My class also got to spend most of a day in Boston. Every class is given the opportunity for a day trip. We just wanted to visit the town and my small group went and saw her.

It was neat, I was surprised how small it was and man that smell below deck ?

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I find the differnces between the Constitution and Cassin Young pretty amazing. Definitely a time when men where men (And you know the rest)

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I find the differnces between the Constitution and Cassin Young pretty amazing. Definitely a time when men where men (And you know the rest)

And we still had the rum ration! The single greatest travesty in Naval history was Josephus Daniels abolishing the rum ration and making all of ships dry. Anyway, splice the mainbrace and all that:

The following is an account of USS Constitution’s famous war cruise during the War of 1812. In August, Constitution set sail from Boston with 475 officers and men — about the same complement as one of our Aegis cruisers today — and the following supplies:
  • 48,000 gallons of fresh water
  • 7,400 cannon shot
  • 11,000 pounds of black powder and…
  • 79,400 gallons of rum.
Upon arriving in Jamaica on 6 October, she took on:
  • 826 pounds of flour and…
  • 69,300 gallons of rum.
She then headed for the Azores, where she took on
  • 550 tons of beef and…
  • 64,000 gallons of Portuguese wine.
On 13 November she set sail for England. In the ensuing days, she defeated 5 British men of war and sank 12 British merchant ships, salvaging only their rum.

By 27 January, her powder and shot were exhausted. Nonetheless, she made a raid on the Firth of Clyde. Her landing party captured a whiskey distillery and transferred 40,000 gallons of scotch aboard. She then headed home.

Constitution made port at Boston harbor on the 23rd of February with no cannon shot, no powder, no food, no rum, no whiskey, no wine — but with 48,000 gallons of stagnant water!

Treetop Flyer

pilot
And we still had the rum ration! The single greatest travesty in Naval history was Josephus Daniels abolishing the rum ration and making all of ships dry. Anyway, splice the mainbrace and all that:

The following is an account of USS Constitution’s famous war cruise during the War of 1812. In August, Constitution set sail from Boston with 475 officers and men — about the same complement as one of our Aegis cruisers today — and the following supplies:
  • 7,400 cannon shot
  • 79,400 gallons of rum.
  • 69,300 gallons of rum.
  • 550 tons of beef and…
On 13 November she set sail for England. In the ensuing days, she defeated 5 British men of war and sank 12 British merchant ships, salvaging only their rum.

By 27 January, her powder and shot were exhausted. Nonetheless, she made a raid on the Firth of Clyde. Her landing party captured a whiskey distillery and transferred 40,000 gallons of scotch aboard. She then headed home.

Constitution made port at Boston harbor on the 23rd of February with no cannon shot, no powder, no food, no rum, no whiskey, no wine — but with 48,000 gallons of stagnant water!
With sails, range is only limited by alcohol consumption

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunately, that's an urban legend. Even the most hardcore old-school Sailor would be dead after drinking almost 2 gallons of booze daily for six months.

They served grog to disinfect the water barrels, not get the crew hammered.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately, that's an urban legend. Even the most hardcore old-school Sailor would be dead after drinking almost 2 gallons of booze daily for six months.

They served grog to disinfect the water barrels, not get the crew hammered.
killjoy
or kill-joy
[ kil-joi ]
1. a person who spoils the joy or pleasure of others
@nittany03 is a nice guy but boy, what a killjoy.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I am betting the truth is somewhere in between. No doubt they indulged, and maybe for official records the ship’s store officer (SUPPO) marked “0 gallons whiskey aboard” when they returned to North Anerica, but each sailor got to take a mini keg home as a sort of wage supplement/ spoil of war. Imported liquor would be more valuable to them as barter in their home town than in their liver. If true, that would make for some fun tales of a couple dozen sailors and their personal whiskey kegs each headed home (or to a more seedy establishment) by oxcart, horse, or foot.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
USS North Carolina in Wilmington is my favorite ship museum. It became a museum ship right after the war so it’s in more or less it’s actual WWII configuration, and a ton of the ship is open to visitors. The last time I was there, the analog targeting computer in the aft turret still worked and could be played with.

The Showboat, aka USS North Carolina BB-55, is on the list to visit this year as I continue to get closer to touring every US battleship museum. (Arizona, Missouri, Wisconsin and Alabama completed so far.) The ship is undergoing renovation including a cofferdam to repair the hull - any and all donations can help. Also, the ship's store has a few notable items including knives made from the ship's steel hull and memento blocks of teak from the ship's deck.

Anybody else touring a museum ship on vacation this year?

https://www.battleshipnc.com/

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

• 7,400 cannon shot
  • 79,400 gallons of rum.
  • 69,300 gallons of rum.
  • 550 tons of beef and…

Speaking of rum:

https://www.battleshipnewjersey.org/. (they have a bunch of superb videos as well)

It was inevitable! Battleship Rum, created by Pine Tavern Distillery @MuddyRunSpirits, will be available in liquor stores soon! It will be part of a featured drink at the bar during July 4th fireworks on the @BattleshipNJ

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor