• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vacation USA

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Catching up from a busy summer but we did manage to take a vacation: started in Pensacola (check on my rental houses and then to the beach). Whatever else you may say about Pensacola, the beaches are gorgeous and the seafood is fantastic. When on vacations now, I try to make it to any ship museums for a few hours if I am close - thus a drive over to Mobile to see Battleship Park:

Battleship USS Alabama (BB-60)
View attachment 27564
Submarine USS Drum (SS-228)
View attachment 27565

Over to Savannah / Hilton Head / Charleston and went by Patriots Point Museum https://www.patriotspoint.org/ which included USS Yorktown (CV-10)
View attachment 27567

as well as the Destroyer USS Laffey (DD-724)
View attachment 27566

Anyone got recommendations for other naval museums?
USS North Carolina in Wilmington is my favorite ship museum. It became a museum ship right after the war so it’s in more or less it’s actual WWII configuration, and a ton of the ship is open to visitors. The last time I was there, the analog targeting computer in the aft turret still worked and could be played with.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Catching up from a busy summer but we did manage to take a vacation: started in Pensacola (check on my rental houses and then to the beach). Whatever else you may say about Pensacola, the beaches are gorgeous and the seafood is fantastic. When on vacations now, I try to make it to any ship museums for a few hours if I am close - thus a drive over to Mobile to see Battleship Park:

Battleship USS Alabama (BB-60)
View attachment 27564
Submarine USS Drum (SS-228)
View attachment 27565

Oooooo, battleships. Heavy SWO breathing

Heavy-Breathing-Cat.jpg

Anyone got recommendations for other naval museums?

Battleship Cove in Fall River, Massachusetts, is a great place to visit. They have a full reconstructed PT boat, an old boiler-fired DD, and even a Tarantul-class corvette.

https://g.page/battleship-cove?share

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Head up to Boston Massachusetts. You can hit the USS Constitution and USS Cassin Young at the Charlestown Navy Yard (and go up to Bunker Hill)) and then head a few miles south to see the USS Salem in Quincy MA. Have some seafood at Union Oyster House for dinner and the next morning head south to Battleship Cove as suggested above. If you really want to get around head north to Portsmouth NH and see the USS Albacore and then over the bridge to the Navy Yard. If you have a DoD ID you can get on base and see a few neat things but the coolest is the old Naval Prison.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Head up to Boston Massachusetts. You can hit the USS Constitution and USS Cassin Young at the Charlestown Navy Yard (and go up to Bunker Hill)) and then head a few miles south to see the USS Salem in Quincy MA. Have some seafood at Union Oyster House for dinner and the next morning head south to Battleship Cove as suggested above. If you really want to get around head north to Portsmouth NH and see the USS Albacore and then over the bridge to the Navy Yard. If you have a DoD ID you can get on base and see a few neat things but the coolest is the old Naval Prison.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone suggest visiting a shipyard for vacation.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Battleship Cove in Fall River, Massachusetts, is a great place to visit. They have a full reconstructed PT boat, an old boiler-fired DD, and even a Tarantul-class corvette.

I did an overnight "camping" trip on board Massachusetts there as a kid and loved it. I definitely credit that experience with part of my childhood love of the Navy and ships in general and ultimately joining the Navy.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Alright, who parked their SR-71 in the towaway zone? @HuggyU2 probably one of your buddies.
The white zone is for stopping only. There is no stopping in the red zone.

I did an overnight "camping" trip on board Massachusetts there as a kid and loved it.
Ah, the "other" Massachusetts, not BB-2, off the coast of Pensacola... (which would make a pretty awesome, albeit different, camping experience)

Dontcallmegump

pilot

Part of the OCS program these days (or about 2 years ago) was a trip up there for most of the day to just wander around the place. Its a great time to get away from training country and the bag lunch even had potato chips. I remember just looking out over the harbor and noticed something in the water, It looked kind of like a canteen but thought that would be ridiculous. Not a moment after I dismissed the thought our class screw up came running down a ladder and asked if anyone had seen his canteen, I laughed and pointed out in the water as it drifted closer into view and by the little destroyer... Just then the class O came out to witness his panic and just shook her head in disappointment.

I even got an extra bag of BBQ lays and a nap on the bus ride home ?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
You don't visit significant industrial sites on your free time?
Ever since I saw a post on it, I've wanted to see the Soo Locks.
That said, all Navy folks should go see Old Ironsides if they end up in Boston.

Considering those public shipyards are commanded and managed by EDOs, I've seen enough of them. The most interesting stuff there is what's in the dry docks themselves and you can't get in there without somebody approving it. There's cooler stuff at the Navy Yard than those shipyards for vacations. I'd rather be somewhere near a beach with a mojito in hand.