• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

V-22 Chosen to be the new COD

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Sometimes the system works!

Can't wait to hear the implementation plan.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Heard this was coming a while back. I'm frankly surprised it stayed under wraps until the Navy announced it.

jmcquate

Contributor
Just wondering, if the C-2 is going away, the E-2 can't be far behind................any good rumors out there?

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
And float replacements out via USNS to VERTREP over. Same thing we do with Hornet engines.
VERTREP'in Hornet engines is sporty, but not tough. I VERTREP'ed a Hawkeye engine and that was a bitch. I think the engine plus the can weighed about 5,500lb. Supposedly an F135 engine weighs about 3,750lb, call it 4,000 with the can. I'd call that sporty plus for an MH-60S. So either they will have to come up with a V-22 fuselage extension (unlikely) or ramp mod to accommodate the length of the F135/can for internal carry or they will be carried externally by V-22/MH-60S.

jtmedli

pilot
So is Big Navy going to start transitioning helo dudes over with C-2 guys to set up a V-2 community like the marines did?

VERTREP'in Hornet engines is sporty, but not tough. I VERTREP'ed a Hawkeye engine and that was a bitch. I think the engine plus the can weighed about 5,500lb. Supposedly an F135 engine weighs about 3,750lb, call it 4,000 with the can. I'd call that sporty plus for an MH-60S. So either they will have to come up with a V-22 fuselage extension (unlikely) or ramp mod to accommodate the length of the F135/can for internal carry or they will be carried externally by V-22/MH-60S.

4000 is within reason with a stripped down Sierra (no AUX tank or EWS wings and minimum fuel on board). 5000 would even possible but extremely sporty (read: probably not do-able in the heat/humidity of the NAG).