• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Connecticut Collision

johnboyA6E

None
It has always blown me away that subs in EMCON (pretty much all the time?) basically fly blind through the water. Like the high speed canyon run in Hunt for Red October. I suppose they have pretty good INS positioning though. I remember seeing a documentary about Nautilus navigating to the North Pole the first time. They used an INS designed for high speed, short time (maybe the same one that went in the A6) and used it to navigate at very slow speeds for very long time. I know an INS can drift quite a bit in a short time.
Even with perfect positioning systems, it's only as good as the quality of charts, and doesn't account for unplanned obstacles
Obviously, I'm fairly ignorant about undersea navigation.

As an A-6 guy, I always likened it to flying a low level through the mountains at night, and turning off the radar, relying only on clock and chart and INS, no thanks

P3 F0

None
As an A-6 guy, I always likened it to flying a low level through the mountains at night, and turning off the radar, relying only on clock and chart and INS, no thanks
I'm guessing it's a bit closer to flying well above MOSA without the radar, relying on the clock, etc.

Mos

None
I'm guessing it's a bit closer to flying well above MOSA without the radar, relying on the clock, etc.
Probably depends on where they are, what they're doing and accuracy of their charts/bathymetry.
FrankTheTank said:
My joke was deleted by a mod! It was a joke! Who deleted it and message me, pussy!
Probably had to do with it being political, irrelevant to the thread, unfunny or all of the above.

exNavyOffRec

She made it to Guam and good news is the injured sailors were evaluated by medical and well enough to return to the sub.

The thing I didn't know is that the dry dock that did the temporary repairs to the USS San Francisco many years ago when she hit the underwater seamount is no longer in Guam, that makes temporary repairs a bit more challenging.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The thing I didn't know is that the dry dock that did the temporary repairs to the USS San Francisco many years ago when she hit the underwater seamount is no longer in Guam, that makes temporary repairs a bit more challenging.

Good article in Forbes discusses this. One of the things about Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor was that they did not come back for a third wave and destroy as much of the base infrastructure as possible- in this case, it appears we got rid of the support facilities ourselves.

Hurt USS Connecticut Highlights Ship Repair Shortfalls At Key Guam Base

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A collision or an allision? Cause it matters to SWO's and submariners, as I learned when I had to report on several allisions.

Good article in Forbes discusses this. One of the things about Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor was that they did not come back for a third wave and destroy as much of the base infrastructure as possible- in this case, it appears we got rid of the support facilities ourselves.

Hurt USS Connecticut Highlights Ship Repair Shortfalls At Key Guam Base

I might disagree as Guam is likely going to be one of the first places struck if we get in a shooting war in East Asia.

number9

Contributor
I might disagree as Guam is likely going to be one of the first places struck if we get in a shooting war in East Asia.
I recently read Making a Submarine Officer and it's centered around the USS San Francisco and when it got homeported to Guam. Obviously it was set some time ago (early 2000s) but Guam and its capabilities are not painted in a great light...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I recently read Making a Submarine Officer and it's centered around the USS San Francisco and when it got homeported to Guam. Obviously it was set some time ago (early 2000s) but Guam and its capabilities are not painted in a great light...

Having visited there around that time the facilities mostly seemed to have been left as they were at the end of the Cold War. But a large scale investment in shipyard repair facilities may not be the best investment to make nowadays at such a forward location that doesn't see a lot of traffic.