• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Connecticut Collision

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It has always blown me away that subs in EMCON (pretty much all the time?) basically fly blind through the water. Like the high speed canyon run in Hunt for Red October. I suppose they have pretty good INS positioning though. I remember seeing a documentary about Nautilus navigating to the North Pole the first time. They used an INS designed for high speed, short time (maybe the same one that went in the A6) and used it to navigate at very slow speeds for very long time. I know an INS can drift quite a bit in a short time.

Even with perfect positioning systems, it's only as good as the quality of charts, and doesn't account for unplanned obstacles
Obviously, I'm fairly ignorant about undersea navigation.

As an A-6 guy, I always likened it to flying a low level through the mountains at night, and turning off the radar, relying only on clock and chart and INS, no thanks
Meh, it's not quite like that. Subs transmit on the fathometer under most circumstances to avoid this very thing from happening. When going through the north pole - or anywhere where dodging ice is a concern - subs transmit active sonar to see what's in front of them.

johnboyA6E

None
how did this particular sub hit the undersea mount that wasn't on the chart? were they not transmitting sonar at the time?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
how did this particular sub hit the undersea mount that wasn't on the chart? were they not transmitting sonar at the time?
You know how you read the McCain and Fitzgerald reports and say 'Wtf were they doing?' It's kind of like that, except that it's not systemic throughout the fleet.