• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Abraham Lincoln Tiger Cruise 2011

Flying Toaster

None
Out of curiosity, what exactly is this?

CVN72-D7_F-18C_Hornet_1775.jpg

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
That, Toaster, is an airplane.

More specifically and less sarcastically it's a Charlie model Hornet going into burner at the end of a cat stroke. After watching a week of CQing, I'm pretty sure it's standard for them to into burner as they get shot, but a driver please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Flying Toaster

None
That, Toaster, is an airplane.

More specifically and less sarcastically it's a Charlie model Hornet going into burner at the end of a cat stroke. After watching a week of CQing, I'm pretty sure it's standard for them to into burner as they get shot, but a driver please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Really? ;)

I was aware they use burner, but at no point prior did I recall seeing a giant ball of flame coming out the back. After posting, a quick Google search of F-18 and "flame" turned up some similar pictures with the explanation being "compressor stall due to hot air from the catapult"?

100803-N-6362C-296.jpg

100804-N-6362C-229.jpg

IMG_2917_wm.jpg

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
This may be covered in another thread, but I believe I heard today (on the radio) that an engine blew on a Navy F-18 on a carrier off the Pacific coast and that 4 men/people were injured. Anyone else have more facts on this??

Flying Toaster

None
This may be covered in another thread, but I believe I heard today (on the radio) that an engine blew on a Navy F-18 on a carrier off the Pacific coast and that 4 men/people were injured. Anyone else have more facts on this??

Hope everyone is alright. I literally just posted a video over in the pic thread of a hornet ingesting some FOD. I could definitely see that getting dangerous in a hurry.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I was aware they use burner, but at no point prior did I recall seeing a giant ball of flame coming out the back. After posting, a quick Google search of F-18 and "flame" turned up some similar pictures with the explanation being "compressor stall due to hot air from the catapult"?

Quick Enginerd Question: Isn't compressor stall a bad thing? Whenever my engineering professors mentioned compressor stall, it was usually in the context of horrible, catastrophic, imminent crash-type scenarios. So, is a small amount of compressor stall during flight a normal thing? If so, do you see any variance in power/thrust produced by the engine(s) or is it negligible?

Sorry to bore those who care not about such nerdy topics. :)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
CLH: Thanks. Obviously, I had the facts & timeline a little fubared and appreciate your clearing it up.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Quick Enginerd Question: Isn't compressor stall a bad thing? Whenever my engineering professors mentioned compressor stall, it was usually in the context of horrible, catastrophic, imminent crash-type scenarios. So, is a small amount of compressor stall during flight a normal thing? If so, do you see any variance in power/thrust produced by the engine(s) or is it negligible?

Short answer: Yes- anything from mild and negligible through all of the above.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor

Shitty week for Navy/Marine Aviation as a whole. OP tempo is high, try not to empty your luck bucket all in one shot gents.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
That is correct. While going to burner isn't always required, it's usually done just to make sure. I've seen large bursts of flames like that a few times. As long as it isn't a major compressor stall, then it's not a big deal.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I wouldn't call it "normal," but there are usually procedures in place to deal with it. In my short experience (T-34, T-39, T-45, EA-6), usually some form of retarding throttle to reduce fuel flow and thus burner pressure, which should restore proper airflow through the motor. Then slowly readvance whilst monitoring engine temps. If all else fails, shut down the motor (and promptly relight if it's your only one).

Keep in mind chugs/bangs/stalls can be caused by many things. Common to civvies and us are FOD and turbulence. But anything which disrupts the airflow through the inlet will do it. Things which will do that that civilians don't usually worry about are catapult steam (air density changes), hard maneuvering (intake can't keep up at high AOA in some jets) or departures/spins (airflow comes from all sorts of crazy directions and airframe tends to blank out intakes). The T-45 motor is notoriously finicky and has a steam ingestion valve which opens under an inordinately complicated series of events to unload the compressor when on the cat (F405 doesn't like steam). As I recall, that jet is fairly stall prone in ACM as well, and tends to snuff motors if you're unfortunate enough to spin it.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Tomcat used to do something similar on blower shots, the overflow/vent tank in the ass end would spit some fuel out on the cat stroke, it would light right towards the end as the fuel sloshed/spewed etc... speculating, but Hornet may do the same thing. I am pretty sure that with all the photos above, that it wasn't a traditional "compressor stall", with the variable inlet guide vanes the lawn dart motors have (sweet!), they seem pretty damned reliable (only compressor stalls I saw/heard were the Connie cat track cover injestion)...