• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA vs BDCP

KMitchell22

I am 20 years old and currently a sophomore in college earning a degree in Finance. I had originally planned on entering the BDCP program and had PRK surgery on July 31, 2008, and am waiting the 6 months required to get my waiver. I am studying for the ASTB which I plan on taking by the end of October, and plan on having my application fully completed and submitted around Febuary/March 2009.

I am wondering if it would be more beneficial to apply to the Naval Academy and commissioning through that path, if possible. I understand I am only 20 and my goals will more than likely alter along my journey through life, however, at this point I plan on making a career in the military and would like to be as competitive as possible and advance as much as possible.

I was just wondering if there were any restrictions with regards to rank and position depending on if you went to the academy or not. Is it possible to advnace to 0-7,0-8, or any Admiral rank without having attending USNA?

Basically do you guys feel it would benefit me in the long run having the academy on my record versus commissioning through OCS? Is one officer more likely to advance than another based on their commissioning path? Are officer's treated differently based upon their commissioning path? This is the general information I am looking for.

Thanks,
Kaelen Mitchell

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
hmm, get paid a lot of money while in college, have absolutely no responsibilities, build time in service (which gets you paid a lot more and you can retire earlier) and graduate earlier...sounds like a no brainer to me. Do you really want to start college over again? This has been discussed in a lot of threads previously.

hornsfan

happy to be here
pilot
Is it possible to advnace to 0-7,0-8, or any Admiral rank without having attending USNA?

Absolutely

Basically do you guys feel it would benefit me in the long run having the academy on my record versus commissioning through OCS?

In the long run, I think its a wash. IMO, Academy guys are better prepared initially since we spent 4 years full time in a military environment vice civilian college. However, that gap closes pretty quickly.

I am 20 years old and currently a sophomore in college earning a degree in Finance.

Keep in mind too that if you go the Academy route, you have to start as a freshman. You will probably be able to validate a few classes, but a number of your credits wont count.

nugget81

pilot
Basically do you guys feel it would benefit me in the long run having the academy on my record versus commissioning through OCS? Is one officer more likely to advance than another based on their commissioning path? Are officer's treated differently based upon their commissioning path?

The answer to all three questions is NO. Do BDCP....seriously.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
The answer to all three questions is NO. Do BDCP....seriously.

Yeah, having looked at all the possibilities (in all branches of the military), its hard to find anything that tops BDCP. Take advantage of the fact that you're still eligible when you learned about it, because that isn't the case for most.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
I am in a similar situation, I am a 20 year old college freshman at the moment and I am applying for the Academy's Class of 2012. My opinion in the whole matter is that the Academy is the best place for me to develop as an officer, after all we will(hopefully) be officers first and aviators second. Get started on your application soon, the deadline for most nomination sources is November 1st or November 30th(Ican't remember which) and it takes some time to get all of that stuff figured out.

That being said, if I don't get into the Academy this year I will be applying for PLC. If that fails, then I will try and get a two-year NROTC scholarship, if that fails then I will try and get into OCS a few times. If all that fails then I think I might find a new career option.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
I know nothing of the USNA, but here is why to go BDCP

You know what I did today?
I went golfing then hung out on my porch.

You know what I did yesterday?
Went to Wright-Patterson and bought cheap stuff from the BX, then went and watched some touch and go's with a good friend of mine.

You know what I did the day before that?
Went golfing, did a little flying of my own, then partied it up with some friends.

You may be asking why I went through my last three days...it is because I could not have done any of it without the money and freedom of BDCP. Seriously, I can do whatever the hell I feel like doing with the money. Can you do that at the USNA? Probably not. Not saying that the USNA is bad, just much different from BDCP. Bottom line (my opinion), go BDCP, get paid and spend it on yourself and some good looking girls.;)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
From a USNA grad:

Don't go to USNA because it will give you some perceived promotion advantage.
Don't go to USNA because you think it will qualify you to be an Admiral.
Don't go if you want to just get a BS to check the box and get a commission.
Double don't go if you want to enjoy college.

BDCP is a nice shiny brass ring to reach for: all that $$$$, accrued time in service whilst in college, and you amass a crap ton of leave. You also can have that Animal House college experience of your dreams unfettered by the whim of the USN.

That said, I wouldn't trade my USNA education for anything. The academics were top notch, the military aspects were good training in more ways than I can enumerate, and the folks I met: priceless. Also, was able to take advantage of many opportunities that I could not have gotten anywhere else. If you want to drink the Punch Sport Drink, it can be a great place for your college years.

If you're just looking to get a degree and move on, it will be miserable.

Wanting to be a Naval officer and only being able to do undergrad once, I'd pick USNA every time, but I sucked that place dry and got everything I possibly could out of it.

That said, if the Navy told me I had to go back to school and get another bachelor's degree, I'd probably go anywhere but USNA.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Kaelen, all of these responses make good points but the bottom line is this...are you willing to give up two years of college to start over as a freshman? If not BDCP is the way to go. I went to the Academy and my son is BDCP. He has just as good a chance to command a squadron as I did. Work hard, stay focused and good luck.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
One other thing about applying to the Academy, shoot Wink a PM. He is a Blue and Gold Officer and can answer pretty much any question that you may have.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Stay BDCP and get to Naval Aviation sooner rather than later. Also, some of my friends from the academy have often said getting a flights slot from the academy can sometimes be more difficult because there is a quota just like every other source, but to them it always seemed like aviation was the most sought after billet and this may not be the case in other comissioning sources. From my experience in NROTC I tend to agree with them. However, they all had great experiences and loved the academy.

Every comissioning source has good and bad officers. Going to the academy will not make you a better officer than the next guy. Only you can determine the type of officer you will be.

Lobster

As Stalk said I am BDCP. Not getting into the academy might have been one of the best things that happend to me and the greatest blessing in disguisebecause I really started to pursue the BDCP program and here I am two years later waiting on my final select letter. The only thing I have to do is not fuck it up. I get the same commision as everyone else, I'm having a blast in college and I got selected for SNA, I couldn't ask for more. Bottom line its your call do what you think is best for you, and as was said before there is a ton of gouge on both around here so take a look around some more. Best of luck.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
You may be asking why I went through my last three days...it is because I could not have done any of it without the money and freedom of BDCP. Seriously, I can do whatever the hell I feel like doing with the money. Can you do that at the USNA? Probably not. Not saying that the USNA is bad, just much different from BDCP. Bottom line (my opinion), go BDCP, get paid and spend it on yourself and some good looking girls.;)
+1 on this. USNA would be an amazing opportunity for an 18 year old high school senior, but BDCP was made for people like you, if you have the grades and scores. Which you would need (probably better) for USNA anyway.