• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA vs BDCP

Lobster

you wouldn't want to do a midship cruise over the summer? I think that that would be better than any thing I would be doing. I hear you on not working, I am looking forward to not working full time and doing full time school at the same time. That is going to be such a weird change though, all of a sudden I will have 40 free hours a week... Gym and movi time!

Kurtzie, any word from your OR on Final Select stuff?

Eh not unless it was a 1/C aviation cruise, blackbearhockey told me all about his 2/C cruise that went by in SWO motion. I can't wait live up the no work BDCP summers.

My OR told me last week that he thinks they're sitting in a stack on someone's desk somewhere because no one has gotten them yet, apparently they're waiting until 1 October to sign them all because its the start of the new fiscal year...dunno if thats true or not if so I only have to wait another week :D.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I for one would not want to spend my summer doing a midshipman cruise. I would prefer to travel to some exotic place on earth while I still have 3 month long summers off. Maybe take my gal on a great trip after saving for a few months. Do something that I may never get a chance to do again for at least 10-20 years

With the exception of my cruise, that's pretty much what the cruises are. I've had MIDN friends go on a sub to Japan, others get on a ship and head to Europe, South America, etc. etc. The cruises are four to six weeks long so you still have two/two and a half months left in the summer. 1/C MIDN friends of mine had cruises where they partied in Guam and got a few shots/traps in everything the Navy flies off a carrier. All this while getting paid.

Don't get me wrong, it's an important learning experience akin to an internship, but it could be the greatest internship imagineable.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Mid cruises are what you make of them. I loved San Diego, I've had port calls in Savannah, GA, Fort Lauderdale FL, Charleston, SC, Greenport, NY (which just turned into an epic night in whites in NYC with us getting into the hotel room well after sunrise... oh gosh NYC in whites is... just... awesome), and, Norfolk. Hell, even Norfolk wasn't bad when you're out with your best friends. I've also been in various land training in Camp Lejune (ok, not a great "fun" place, but I got to do some cool Marine-type stuff for a week and seeing as I'm probably not selecting USMC, I had a blast just being able to do a lot of it - MOUT Training and all the weapons I got to fire was just awesome), Oceana (which was aviation training, cool in and of itself, but then the evenings were spent in VA Beach, and Gary Allen even had a concert on base one night, so another great week), and King's Bay, which, again, wasn't great, but was close enough to some nice beaches and I got to do the whole submarine thing for probably my first and last time, which again, I approached with that attitude of trying to have a once in a lifetime experience kind of deal.

Sure I sometimes wish for more free time during the summer (circling the Chesapeake for a week and anchoring off Long Island were not exactly my ideas of fun and/or learning) but there's generally enough fun times to be had to outweigh that sort of crappiness.