• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA v. OCS/NROTC NFO Commitment

I got winged in Dec. It's 6 years.
I got winged this June. 8 years for Helo pilots. Straight from my orders:

YOU ARE OBLIGATED TO SERVE EIGHT YEARS FOR PROPELLER-ROTARY
AIRCRAFT, OR EIGHT YEARS FOR JET AIRCRAFT, FOLLOWING COMPLETION
OF TRAINING DATE WITHIN THE NAVAL AIR TRAINING COMMAND.
(REFER MILPERSMAN 1542-010).

xmid

pilot
Contributor

They were all talking about NFO's. Don't confuse the kid.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None

Read the section this is in and what I was referring to, then slap yourself on the forehead.

Tom

pilot
Contributor

My contract says 6 years for helos and 8 for fixed wing.

MasterBates

When I winged, the other helo guys from USNA/ROTC and OCS were getting 8 year contracts. Those of us who came in under BDCP had 7 year contracts, due to a change in the service requirements from when we contracted to when the guys who came later commissioned.

A couple of the IPs were less than happy that they had to change paperwork when we busted out our contracts, but it was changed to reflect it.

Read the section this is in and what I was referring to, then slap yourself on the forehead.
No slapping needed. Reb said 7 for FOs..8 for pilots...

You said, no it's 6 for FOs. Appears he's wrong about the FO contract length, but guess what, per my orders he's right about pilots.

Relax.
ali-g.jpg

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
No slapping needed. Reb said 7 for FOs..8 for pilots...

You said, no it's 6 for FOs. Appears he's wrong about the FO contract length, but guess what, per my orders he's right about pilots.

He was asking about NFO's in an NFO forum. I just wanted to point that out.

gtg941f

pilot
DING DING DING! Bad Gouge Alert! Sorry Brooke...;)

I filed the paperwork and didn't get my certificate of renunciation until a month or so after OCS. As LONG as you have the paperwork mailed off (I had my recruiter mail it off himself to ensure that the Navy knew I did it) then you're fine because it shows intent. The real show stopper would be to have dual citizenship when the security clearance is getting investigated. Then you'd be in deep kimchee.

That's not to say procrastinate in getting rid of it, but if you do like I did, you won't go to great lakes.

You're right about GL. It's all dependent upon your situation. They actually wrote an addendum to my contract saying that if my citizenship wasn't renounced by the date of my OCS orders, I would be off to GL. YMMV, but just be aware that dual citizenship is certainly not allowed so it's something that needs to be taken care off. Depending on how they wrote up your initial contract, the consequences of not informing them of dual citizenship or not renouncing it could be quite severe. As the directive says, there must be proof that renunciation is being accomplished prior to final select.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
You have to love a country who's residents' best comeback is calling you a "hoser" .. :sleep_125