• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USNA v. OCS/NROTC NFO Commitment

tanguay40

Hello everyone,

I am currently a college senior enrolled in BDCP Supply (trying to switch over to SNFO) and I have a couple of questions which I couldn't find the answer to so I thought I might address them here.

1. I know that service commitment is slightly different for OCS/NROTC and Academy in that typical non-aviation officers commissioned through OCS or NROTC are obligated to 4 years active, 4 years inactive while their academy counterparts are obligated to 5 years active, 3 years inactive. Similarly, those in Nuke community carry 5 years of active duty if commissioned via OCS or NROTC, and I believe (correct me if I am wrong) Academy Nukes have 6 years of active duty commitment. So, basically Academy officers have 1 more year of required active duty service than NROTC or OCS officers.
My question is, does this pattern exist in the aviation communities as well? I know that if I do transition from Supply to NFO that my service obligation will be 6 years post-winging, but I was somewhat confused after talking to a USNA mid when he said that NFO carries 7 years of active duty service. It wasn't clarified whether he included ~1 year of basic flight training or he meant 7 years post-winging. Just wanted to get my facts all straighted up before digging deeper into NFO process.

2. I am currently a dual citizen (US and Australia) and I was able to pass the security clearance necessary for Supply. I am aware that aviation standards might be different and I was wondering if I need to renounce the Australian citizenship in order to be considered for NFO. Even if they do let me keep it, will it restrict me from flying certain aircrafts due to the dual citizenship status? What about height (I'm really short, as in 5'2)? There were a lot of supposed barriers which kept me from applying NFO the first place (less than perfect vision, short height, dual-citizenship) but I think if I can get past through all the clearances, the job may be well worth it!

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
You are wrong about the USNA commitments. They are the same as NROTC. For any aviation, the time starts when you get winged. As you mentioned, it IS 6 years from winging. Once you get commissioned, it really doesn't matter WHERE you get commissioned.

gtg941f

pilot
Hello everyone,

I am currently a college senior enrolled in BDCP Supply (trying to switch over to SNFO) and I have a couple of questions which I couldn't find the answer to so I thought I might address them here.

1. I know that service commitment is slightly different for OCS/NROTC and Academy in that typical non-aviation officers commissioned through OCS or NROTC are obligated to 4 years active, 4 years inactive while their academy counterparts are obligated to 5 years active, 3 years inactive. Similarly, those in Nuke community carry 5 years of active duty if commissioned via OCS or NROTC, and I believe (correct me if I am wrong) Academy Nukes have 6 years of active duty commitment. So, basically Academy officers have 1 more year of required active duty service than NROTC or OCS officers.
My question is, does this pattern exist in the aviation communities as well? I know that if I do transition from Supply to NFO that my service obligation will be 6 years post-winging, but I was somewhat confused after talking to a USNA mid when he said that NFO carries 7 years of active duty service. It wasn't clarified whether he included ~1 year of basic flight training or he meant 7 years post-winging. Just wanted to get my facts all straighted up before digging deeper into NFO process.

2. I am currently a dual citizen (US and Australia) and I was able to pass the security clearance necessary for Supply. I am aware that aviation standards might be different and I was wondering if I need to renounce the Australian citizenship in order to be considered for NFO. Even if they do let me keep it, will it restrict me from flying certain aircrafts due to the dual citizenship status? What about height (I'm really short, as in 5'2)? There were a lot of supposed barriers which kept me from applying NFO the first place (less than perfect vision, short height, dual-citizenship) but I think if I can get past through all the clearances, the job may be well worth it!

You need to renounce foreign citizenship regardless of which path you take. That is one of the requirements to become an officer (enlisted however is different). If you're currently in BDCP, let your recruiter know about your dual citizenship because many are unaware of the rules. To light the fire under your ass, let me just say this. If you don't renounce your citizenship prior to your OCS, it's likely you could end up at Great Lakes.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
You need to renounce foreign citizenship regardless of which path you take. That is one of the requirements to become an officer (enlisted however is different).
Can you provide a source for this? I have only read that you must be a US citizen.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
I always thought that you had to be a citizen of the US and Only the US. I think this instruction is applicable;

From: US Code TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART II > CHAPTER 33 > § 532

(a) Under regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Defense, an original appointment as a commissioned officer (other than as a commissioned warrant officer) in the Regular Army, Regular Navy, Regular Air Force, or Regular Marine Corps may be given only to a person who— (1) is a citizen of the United States;
(2) is able to complete 20 years of active commissioned service before his sixty-second birthday;
(3) is of good moral character;
(4) is physically qualified for active service; and
(5) has such other special qualifications as the Secretary of the military department concerned may prescribe by regulation.

You can also look at DOD Instruction 1310.02 (Which pretty much says the same thing)

6.2. Qualifications of Commissioned Officers

6.2.1. Regular Appointments

6.2.1.1. To receive an original appointment as a Regular commissioned officer in a
Military Service, an individual must be appointed by Presidential authority according to section
531 of Reference (d), and subscribe to the oath prescribed by section 331 of 5 United States
Code (U.S.C.) (Reference (j)). The appointee must:

6.2.1.1.1. Be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident eligible for
waiver under section 532(f) of Reference (d).

It doesn't say only US, but the US.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Found this too;

COMNAVCRUITCOMINST 1131.2C

CHAPTER 2

BASIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS

SECTION 1 – REQUIREMENTS

020102. CITIZENSHIP. Applicants for all officer programs must be citizens of the United States (born in the U. S. A. or naturalized or born abroad of U. S. parents). Dual citizens are eligible to submit Advance Documents (ADDOCs), but to be Final Selected (FINSEL) they must submit proof of renouncing second citizenship. Contact COMNAVCRUITCOM (N36) for further guidance or questions.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dual citizenship becomes a problem when you come up for a Top Secret/SCI clearance. There is a prohibition against 'dual' citizens from holding a TS/SCI, specifically you have to give up your passport and any other legal/tangible ties to the other country.

As an NFO, you will have a pretty high likleyhood of having to get a TS/SCI because most aircraft we fly require it, so it will probably come up for any dual citizen who is an NFO. This counts for all nations, no exceptions. There are good reasons for this, with several examples of people who have dual loyalties betraying the US.

Reb

And btw, NFO committments are 7 years vice 6 after winging... pilots 8..... unless it's changed in the past year.

tanguay40

Dual citizenship becomes a problem when you come up for a Top Secret/SCI clearance. There is a prohibition against 'dual' citizens from holding a TS/SCI, specifically you have to give up your passport and any other legal/tangible ties to the other country.

As an NFO, you will have a pretty high likleyhood of having to get a TS/SCI because most aircraft we fly require it, so it will probably come up for any dual citizen who is an NFO. This counts for all nations, no exceptions. There are good reasons for this, with several examples of people who have dual loyalties betraying the US.

Thank you, this was the exact information I was looking for. As far as dual citizenship goes, my recruiter knows it and I was not required to give up my second citizenship, just provide proof that I do not hold any foreign passports. He said that as far as he knows (and it does not make much sense), if I were to stay in Supply Corps (community that does not require TS/SCI), the citizenship issue probably won't be an issue even at/after commissioning. I figure if I were to go aviation as SNA or SNFO, it probably won't be the same case.

gtg941f

pilot
Found this too;

COMNAVCRUITCOMINST 1131.2C

CHAPTER 2

BASIC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS

SECTION 1 – REQUIREMENTS

020102. CITIZENSHIP. Applicants for all officer programs must be citizens of the United States (born in the U. S. A. or naturalized or born abroad of U. S. parents). Dual citizens are eligible to submit Advance Documents (ADDOCs), but to be Final Selected (FINSEL) they must submit proof of renouncing second citizenship. Contact COMNAVCRUITCOM (N36) for further guidance or questions.

That's it right there. Regardless of your job, you have to renounce foreign citizenship. Maybe a few people have snuck through the cracks with dual, but if I were one of them I'd be in a state of constant paranoia looking over my shoulder, because in the end you are NOT supposed to hold foreign citizenship as an officer.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And btw, NFO committments are 7 years vice 6 after winging... pilots 8..... unless it's changed in the past year.

Hmm, got commissioned as an SNFO in May and definitely remember it saying 6 years after wings.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
You need to renounce foreign citizenship regardless of which path you take. That is one of the requirements to become an officer (enlisted however is different). If you're currently in BDCP, let your recruiter know about your dual citizenship because many are unaware of the rules. To light the fire under your ass, let me just say this. If you don't renounce your citizenship prior to your OCS, it's likely you could end up at Great Lakes.

DING DING DING! Bad Gouge Alert! Sorry Brooke...;)

I filed the paperwork and didn't get my certificate of renunciation until a month or so after OCS. As LONG as you have the paperwork mailed off (I had my recruiter mail it off himself to ensure that the Navy knew I did it) then you're fine because it shows intent. The real show stopper would be to have dual citizenship when the security clearance is getting investigated. Then you'd be in deep kimchee.

That's not to say procrastinate in getting rid of it, but if you do like I did, you won't go to great lakes.