• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN & USMC - Applying to 2 Branches at once

linagirl684

Does anybody have any feedback about applying to multiple branches at once - specifically the Navy & Marine Corps? I'm hearing one thing from my OR and another from my OSO. I submitted for the Navy Pilot board this past summer (July, I believe?) & was not selected. I am resubmitting for the December/Rolling board, but am also exploring all other options with the Marines & private flight training schools in the area.

After talking to the OSO - who even took the time out to call in a Marine aviator to speak with me in regards to whether or not Marine aviation would be of interest to me - I got to thinking that the Marines could better me as an Officer in addition to being a pilot. I couldn't say the same for the Navy because despite my own research, my recruiter and other naval aviators didn't really provide me with any information that I could continue to learn and grow after becoming a pilot, and I know all the branches are different.

I was told by my OR that I could apply to BOTH branches & that there's really no harm in letting it play out & finding out the decision from that. However, my OSO said that I couldn't apply to both because of a policy that mentions something along the lines that: because the Marines don't select alternates & guarantee an air contract once selected (which, apparently, the USMC is the only branch that guarantees this after selection before going in to OCS???), I'm not able to apply to both. Is this true?

Any confirmation or feedback from anybody, or Naval Aviators & other Marine Aviators concerning the topic of becoming officers/pilots in the respected branches, as well as info about applying to both branches would be greatly appreciated!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......I think my heart is pretty much set on the USMC, but I'm just trying to confirm if I can submit to both at the same time or not. Got anything on that?

The question has actually been asked here several times and every time the answer has been you can apply to as many programs/services as you want. Now the Marines may have come up with some silly rule recently but I kinda doubt that. There are a few Navy officer recruiters here that can answer your question better than anyone else though so I would be patient and wait for one of them to respond.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
If it is a rule, it is a Marine thing and does not apply to the Navy or AF (I applied both at the same time).

Here is the rundown for how selections work across branches:

Navy: Guaranteed SNA (or SNFO) slot when accepted to OCS, but you could still fail flight physical at OCS and have to do something else.
Marines: Air contract, flight physical up front before OCS. You could still get a stick in the eye at TBS though, to quote another AW user.
AF: You get a pilot/nav/UAV spot guaranteed. Flight physical up front before OTS.
Army (OCS): You don't branch until you are there, just like how the academies and ROTC do it. You have to get a flight physical done beforehand if you want to go aviation. I don't know how that works.
Army (Warrant Officer): Flight physical up front, guaranteed pilot (since that is the whole point of the program).
Coast Guard: No idea.

So your OSO is leading you on, or is misinformed about the other branches not making guarantees.

What were your ASTB scores, GPA, various PT abilities, etc? Those will help us suggest whether you are more competitive for the Navy or Marine Corps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerry Curl

Your profile contains your birth date, but not the year. It is worth mentioning that 27 is the magic number for the Navy and Marine Corps (non priors).

With the benefit of hindsight, I wish that I would have considered all of my options when I was under the age limit for priors. It is a situation that you do not want to find yourself in, and it is avoidable.

You mentioned private flight schools...if I could do that over again I would have sought out a part 141 school with an approved private pilot syllabus to knock out my private certificate in 40 hours or so. I would have undertaken this with the intent to fly multiple times a week and/or meet with my CFI all in an effort to curb costs/maximize training time.

Marineocs.com is a great resource as well.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I applied to Navy, Marine and the ANG at the same time. You can do it.

linagirl684

Thank you all for your replies.

So your OSO is leading you on, or is misinformed about the other branches not making guarantees.

What were your ASTB scores, GPA, various PT abilities, etc? Those will help us suggest whether you are more competitive for the Navy or Marine Corps.

Yeah, I figured it'd be the same as applying to colleges and thought why would I be limited to just one?

ASTB: 5/6/6
GPA: 2.85 - not the best considering I wanted to rush through it all and get out of college to enlist (before I found out that the officer route could be a possibility; my fault for not researching entirely - stupid me!)
PT: Tahitian dance group (a hell of a lot of cardio!); I try to stay active and run at least twice a week & train with my little brother as he preps during the week for his football games. Now, I know I gotta boost all this up if I wanna get anywhere close to being competitive with PFT scores as high as possible.

Your profile contains your birth date, but not the year.

I'm 23. I have about 20 flight hours so far. Did my solo in about 16. In your opinion, would continuing private flight lessons and obtaining a PPL benefit me at all when applying for either branch? My Navy OR said it really didn't matter because if I get selected, I'd basically be starting over at flight school, but he didn't seem too confident when telling me that, and neither is he familiar with anything regards to pilots so I figured I'd ask the guys who are actually pilots!

I applied to Navy, Marine and the ANG at the same time. You can do it.

Really?! And neither recruiters gave you any bs about not being able to apply to the others? What route did you choose & what process did you do to get there?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Really?! And neither recruiters gave you any bs about not being able to apply to the others? What route did you choose & what process did you do to get there?

I didn't have any issues. I was up front about what I was doing and told each of them that I was going to take the first pilot slot offered to me. It worked out that I became a Marine.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Your GPA and ASTB aren't competitive for Navy OCS. I can't speak for the Marines. Even though your recruiter might be messing you around, it may be worth your while to just focus on the Marines. An ASTB retake wouldn't hurt in either case.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Your GPA and ASTB aren't competitive for Navy OCS. I can't speak for the Marines. Even though your recruiter might be messing you around, it may be worth your while to just focus on the Marines. An ASTB retake wouldn't hurt in either case.

To go along with this, the ASTB for Marines is a pass/fail event. Your scores only matter that you achieve the mins or not.

GPAs for Marines sub 3.0 haven't been getting selected lately. Head over to Marineocs.com for more info.

exNavyOffRec

agree, and I think you have to have minimum all 6's for the USMC.

if you could get 8's on the ASTB you might have a shot for USN SNA

Renegade One

None
Does anybody have any feedback about applying to multiple branches at once…?
I applied to both Army OCS and Navy AOCS at the same time. Both more than willing to take me. I was actually able to use that as a "bartering chip" with the Navy when they, at first, didn't offer me what I wanted. Then, within 24 hours...they did! Nice.

jmcquate

Contributor
I was still in USAF ROTC after PLC Jr. Hell, the USMC OSO poached me while I was in a USAF uniform on campus. But that was 30 years ago.