• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Exchange Tour Opportunities

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
60R where it matters: killing bad guys.
a7e.jpg

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
I saw your earlier post about "when has any sub ever killed a sub?". Which is a bit disengenious. Plenty of helos from H-2s, H-3s, and the various H-60s have tracked subs and the 60R is the best of that lot. It appears from a quick glance that the CH-148 has mission systems that are a step below that of the 60R such as no ARPDD. Also doesn't look like it has much wrt SUW capabilities. With that in mind if you had to go hunt a sub or a FAC would you want a 60R or a 148?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
@RedFive - don't stress too much about the Canadian flying gig - my buddy actually had the written orders in hand then contacted his sponsor who informed him the billet hadn't flown for most of his time there ever since they got the new helo as they had to priortize Canadians. He wrote nearly a 3 page e-mail detailing how awesome his tour was having no responsibilities and how much he loved touring Nova Scotia... Said friend asked detailer "hey why didn't you tell me this was a non flying PEP?!" Sure enough, a few phone calls later, PERS-43 confirms the Canadians don't plan on flying the American at that squadron for the next 3+ years - said friend fanangled a deal to the HTs after that.

As for me? I tried for three open PEP tours (non flying) for my Second Sea Tour that met sea tour eligibility or were otherwise hard fill they wanted to fill. Unfortunately, all three got shot down since I got sucked up a year group for my O-4 look and was told "ehh we can't gap this and we can't guarantee you're going to make O-4 so no chance."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@RedFive and @DanMa1156 ...

What PEP tour was for HSC guys? Or more specifically, what airframe? I'm not familiar with what they have other than the H-3 (and now -148). I wouldn't have thought they'd send a HSC to the H-3 billet since it's an ASW/radar platform and they send their guy to the east coast HSM RAG.

bluemarlin04

Nope, not automatically.

How would you know that?

It absolutely will. I was the program manager and security manager for 2 of the 3 jobs I worked in.

I worked in 3 jobs where No foreign contacts by marriage or family was required to be allowed access.

I’m not talking about SCI and a clearance.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How would you know that?

It absolutely will. I was the program manager and security manager for 2 of the 3 jobs I worked in.

I worked in 3 jobs where No foreign contacts by marriage or family was required to be allowed access.

I’m not talking about SCI and a clearance.

Contractor or govie jobs? It can be a factor for contractor jobs, it was for me, rarely for govie jobs though.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
@Pags, well I edited because I didn't want to hurt too many feelings ?. I think the Romeo is an amazing platform and its radar's abilities are obviously second to none for the mission. Unlike the Sierra, it's built to a specific mission, which is great, and it seems like HSM doesn't have too much mission creep. However, the next Marine that stumbles in here is going to think it's somewhat disingenuous to use the words "killing bad guys."

@DanMa1156, that actually makes me feel better in a really fucked up way. Damn. Too bad, but I'm glad it worked out for him.

@Gatordev it was the 148 from what I remember and the O-5 PEP officer didn't seem too phased by community background. ?‍♂️

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
@RedFive and @DanMa1156 ...

What PEP tour was for HSC guys? Or more specifically, what airframe? I'm not familiar with what they have other than the H-3 (and now -148). I wouldn't have thought they'd send a HSC to the H-3 billet since it's an ASW/radar platform and they send their guy to the east coast HSM RAG.

The ones I was eligible for my second sea tour were one coded as general URL officer, one coded for an E-2 guy but they were willing to take anyone with carrier experience supposedly, and the last one was a hot-fill flying attache that they were willing to take an O-3 for since they couldn't find an O-4. (In fairness my detailer was throwing my name in the ring I think because he knew I had some of the language requirements done for that one.) The one I initially inquired about was flying T-34s in South America since my timing worked out, but alas, as one might expect, despite asking a year out for it, they already had someone filling that job, and as one might suspect, he was an FRS guy... of course.

Pags

N/A
pilot
@Pags, well I edited because I didn't want to hurt too many feelings ?. I think the Romeo is an amazing platform and its radar's abilities are obviously second to none for the mission. Unlike the Sierra, it's built to a specific mission, which is great, and it seems like HSM doesn't have too much mission creep. However, the next Marine that stumbles in here is going to think it's somewhat disingenuous to use the words "killing bad guys."

@DanMa1156, that actually makes me feel better in a really fucked up way. Damn. Too bad, but I'm glad it worked out for him.

@Gatordev it was the 148 from what I remember and the O-5 PEP officer didn't seem too phased by community background. ?‍♂️
The only feelings I have are tired and hungry ?.

The fact that an ASW helo hasn't killed a sub has more to do with politics and the lack of a maritime shooting war then it does capability. If there was another maritime war the Marines would be dependent on that ASW capability to be able to get the ESG to where the fight is.

My original point is that if you want to get in to a real SUW or ASW war then Chuck's fascination with looking cool doesn't count a lick.