• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC - What are V-22 pilots doing when they get out?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Selecting out of Primary here pretty soon, I'm curious what post-military life would look like as a tilt pilot. Tilt currently #1 preference, rotary close second.
We had some fun here and you got some good advice. Personally, and keep in mind that I am an antique, I think tilts have a super future in the military. Still, as others have noted, you are getting some super high end training that will service you well.

Woodsman

We had some fun here and you got some good advice. Personally, and keep in mind that I am an antique, I think tilts have a super future in the military. Still, as others have noted, you are getting some super high end training that will service you well.
I enjoy the humor, and I'm taking in the perspectives. I should have phrased the original question as- "are any v22 pilots transitioning smoothly into civilian or LE positions as helicopter pilots? Is v22 time currently "powered lift" or multi engine time to the FAA?" "What type of -flying- jobs are v22 pilots transitioning into after EAS"... etc

Pags

N/A
pilot
I enjoy the humor, and I'm taking in the perspectives. I should have phrased the original question as- "are any v22 pilots transitioning smoothly into civilian or LE positions as helicopter pilots? Is v22 time currently "powered lift" or multi engine time to the FAA?" "What type of -flying- jobs are v22 pilots transitioning into after EAS"... etc
@phrogdriver was a V-22 guy who did some LE Helo flying after he got out. All the other V-22 guys I know are still in or have test backgrounds that led them to stick around that community in some way shape or form. But I think the first big batch of folks with careers with predominantly V-22 time arent quite eligible for retirement.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
It’s still powered lift. That said, they’ve made inroads and there are plopter types getting hired at pretty much all of the majors. Obviously if airlines are your goal then a stint in VT’s or a VMR would be a good idea.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@phrogdriver was a V-22 guy who did some LE Helo flying after he got out. All the other V-22 guys I know are still in or have test backgrounds that led them to stick around that community in some way shape or form.

Phrogdriver also had a ton of -57 IP time, so that helped there, too (as well as time in some sort of weird contraption that didn't need T/R pedals, I'm told). I'm not convinced that V-22 time by itself would be super-helpful for rotary time on the rotary civilian side. But if airlines are something you're interested in (and I'm not pushing it one way or the other)...

It’s still powered lift. That said, they’ve made inroads and there are plopter types getting hired at pretty much all of the majors. Obviously if airlines are your goal then a stint in VT’s or a VMR would be a good idea.

That seems to be the best gouge, along with other posts across the forum saying the same thing in the last few years.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
@phrogdriver was a V-22 guy who did some LE Helo flying after he got out. All the other V-22 guys I know are still in or have test backgrounds that led them to stick around that community in some way shape or form. But I think the first big batch of folks with careers with predominantly V-22 time arent quite eligible for retirement.

I went straight to helo work flying for Baltimore City after getting out. I had significant helo time from CH-46 and HT IP tours. My V-22 time helped, but I had the minimum requirements in conventional helicopters.

I also applied to HEMS jobs where they explicitly said that V-22 time didn’t count due to their insurance requirements.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Selecting out of Primary here pretty soon, I'm curious what post-military life would look like as a tilt pilot. Tilt currently #1 preference, rotary close second.

Airlines for the ones that I know…

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Plenty of Plopter types at the airlines, and I think recognition of it as Complex Turbine time will only increase. A lot of places are counting it similarly to MEFW time, maybe with some modifier. By the time you finish your MSO, things will probably have changed.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Plenty of Plopter types at the airlines, and I think recognition of it as Complex Turbine time will only increase. A lot of places are counting it similarly to MEFW time, maybe with some modifier. By the time you finish your MSO, things will probably have changed.
That's good to hear. Most of the time the plopter is flying around it's a complex dual turbine FW airplane. It just happens to land vertically at the end of the flight.