• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC - What are V-22 pilots doing when they get out?

Woodsman

Selecting out of Primary here pretty soon, I'm curious what post-military life would look like as a tilt pilot. Tilt currently #1 preference, rotary close second.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hear underwater basketweaving is about to make a real comeback. Something about reducing the carbon footprint of the industry.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot

Here’s the number for that truck driving school.
I’ll pay my fine.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If you haven’t figured it out yet… you can do anything you want. Whether that’s in a cockpit, or not, you’ll have the experience and resources to succeed at anything.
Yep, up to you OP as to what you want to do and when you want to do it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you haven’t figured it out yet… you can do anything you want. Whether that’s in a cockpit, or not, you’ll have the experience and resources to succeed at anything.
Just be aware that you need to ID what that "anything" is, be it the airlines or something else, and as your time in comes to an end, start networking and morphing yourself from "OP, the commissioned officer" into "OP, the software developer/investment banker/lawyer/doctor/ditch-digger/whatever." There's not much room in the private sector for generalists, and no one out of uniform understands what you did unless you can explain it to them in a way that makes it relevant. Just because you had time in khaki leadership doesn't necessarily make you a project manager, and if you think you're going to go into consulting without first having experience in the industry/field you want to consult in . . . good luck.

"I had leadership experience in the military and was a combat aviator" doesn't resonate with folks who may think military leadership is just yelling at people and ordering them around, and who may think "combat vet" means they're scared you're going to bring an AR to the office and start shooting if you get corrected by your manager. Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration in most cases, but still.

Point is, gold wings give a hell of a skillset in a lot of non-aviation careers, but you have to be able to know who people in those careers are and what makes them tick so you can get your foot in the door and show it. Then you can crush it.