• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC to 160th SOAR.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
While being USAF normally means you are Gay, or at least Metrosexual and Bi-Curious, I think the U-2 and A-10 drivers should be exempt from that normal correlation.
Agree at least for the U-2 drivers - I've never seen a scarf wrapped around the neck of a space suit....

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Agree at least for the U-2 drivers - I've never seen a scarf wrapped around the neck of a space suit....

I was corrected once by a pilot at Nellis that it's not referred to as a scarf, but rather an ascot. I said "That actually makes it ten-fold queerer than I first thought."

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Big time resurrect I know, anyone have knowledge of Navy guys making the switch? If so, anyone have any idea if it would be doable before the 8 year post wings commitment is up, or if it would be something that would have to wait till after?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Big time resurrect I know, anyone have knowledge of Navy guys making the switch? If so, anyone have any idea if it would be doable before the 8 year post wings commitment is up, or if it would be something that would have to wait till after?

I'd say chances are pretty low before your commitment is up. There are Navy guys over there, but the one I heard about (today actually) flew w/ -4 or -5 before switching over. And even then, he's still w/ Green Co (I think it's Company, not regiment, right?).

Not sure what you classify as "America's Finest City," but if you are local and bored and want to take a drive over to CRG, you might find some answers there.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

Back when my winging committment was up the Air Force was accepting transfers and you'd end up going heavies or U-2. (So you can go from Navy helos at 150 ft and 90 knts to 80,000 ft and 90 kts, but I digress)
The Air Force was offering a 10 year contact with a $250K bonus ($25K/yr).
The navy detailer came to the RAG to speak to the instructors and someone asked about that program. I remember her saying that it wasn't a good deal and you're better off staying in the Navy (and going on your disassociated sea tour and no bonus back then.)
I don't know what was funnier, her saying that with a straight face or 20+ LT's all trying to stifle laughs at the same time!

1rotorhead

pilot

Friend of mine at HSC-84 switched from FTS to 160th. Had to give up LT though. After he told me he got picked me up I asked him about his pay cut from O-3 to W2. He said "what pay cut"? Don't think he thought everything through. I'm sure he's happy though.

phrogpilot73

Friend of mine at HSC-84 switched from FTS to 160th. Had to give up LT though. After he told me he got picked me up I asked him about his pay cut from O-3 to W2. He said "what pay cut"? Don't think he thought everything through. I'm sure he's happy though.
Actually, I think he may have. I know a USMC Major that went to the 160th. After the bonus, he was making only a smidge less than what he was making as a Major.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Somewhat delayed, but the HMLA community also does an exchange tour with the 160th. It open to one WTI type every few years, and is apparently quite the opportunity....