• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC to 160th SOAR.

Flying Toaster

None
IIRC this has been asked and answered before, but despite searching AW through the internal search engine and google I haven't been able to find it. If it has I'd appreciate it if someone could direct me to it and mods feel free to lock the thread. If it hasn't just a few quick questions.

Is it possible? If so, does one have to wait until the end of their tenure with the USMC to transfer or is an intraservice possible? Can anyone swap (CH-53, Phrogs to Blackhawks and Ch-47s) vs. just the Cobra guys to AH-6s.

How do the Army guys look at the USMC pilots? After reading both of Durants books (Company of Heros and Nightstalkers), it seems as if he doesn't hold them in particularly high regard, although it certainly was a while ago.

I saw mention of an exchange program for the Cobra guys to AH-6s, is that similar to the foreign exchange program, where one would keep their status as a Marine?

Last question, assuming an exchange/transfer is done does one get saddled with all the administrative work since they are an O? This is in reference to the Army aviation thread in regards to the difference between Os and Warrants.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

phrogpilot73

I know of one guy that was a Marine Maj Phrog pilot, and is now a CW2 in the Army flying for the 160th. Stearmann here on AW is your best POC if you're interested in how to make the switch.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
First off, I just want to say good luck to you and I hope you are successful in whatever ambitions you hold.

I'm sure there is a direct commission transfer from Corps to Army that would at least get you as far as Army aviator. That being said, if you get your gimmicky rocks off on SOAR (and I am in no way saying that the 160th is a gimmick) then just go Army in the first place and work your way up. You can't be Marine, recon, SEAL, Delta Force, SOAR, all in one. Pick and choose what you want to be, work hard, stick with it, and advance in your field. Everyone wants to be Hollywood SF James Bond Secret Squirrel with a license to kill.

Seriously, if you want to be successful as either a Marine Pilot or an Army pilot, choose one and stick with it. I guarantee it'll be a satisfying and challenging experience and life will be a lot simpler if you just stick with one. Now if later in life, other opportunites arise, then good for you.

Am I an ass for saying this? Oh well.

Flying Toaster

None
First off, I just want to say good luck to you and I hope you are successful in whatever ambitions you hold.

I'm sure there is a direct commission transfer from Corps to Army that would at least get you as far as Army aviator. That being said, if you get your gimmicky rocks off on SOAR (and I am in no way saying that the 160th is a gimmick) then just go Army in the first place and work your way up. You can't be Marine, recon, SEAL, Delta Force, SOAR, all in one. Pick and choose what you want to be, work hard, stick with it, and advance in your field. Everyone wants to be Hollywood SF James Bond Secret Squirrel with a license to kill.

Seriously, if you want to be successful as either a Marine Pilot or an Army pilot, choose one and stick with it. I guarantee it'll be a satisfying and challenging experience and life will be a lot simpler if you just stick with one. Now if later in life, other opportunites arise, then good for you.

Am I an ass for saying this? Oh well.

No offense taken, a very valid point. I have some undoubtably interesting logic as to why I'm looking at that option well into the future, but I'll spare all of you and just listen to the input and advice and attempt to sort it out in my mind when it becomes necessary.

I know of one guy that was a Marine Maj Phrog pilot, and is now a CW2 in the Army flying for the 160th. Stearmann here on AW is your best POC if you're interested in how to make the switch.

Thanks, if he doesn't chime in I'll shoot him a PM. Worrying about it is certainly a very long ways off, but it never hurts to have information now since it could affect some of my future decisions.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Direct Commission Transfer??

I'm sure there is a direct commission transfer from Corps to Army that would at least get you as far as Army aviator.

Are you really that sure? The two I know of who did had to give up being an O-4 and enter selection process for 160th as a CWO but they wanted it THAT bad. Of course, they fly more as a CWO, but paycheck ain't what it used to be.

That being said, if you get your gimmicky rocks off on SOAR (and I am in no way saying that the 160th is a gimmick) then just go Army in the first place and work your way up.

Excellent advice

Cheers, HJ

sodajones

Combat Engineer
Are you really that sure? The two I know of who did had to give up being an O-4 and enter selection process for 160th as a CWO but they wanted it THAT bad. Of course, they fly more as a CWO, but paycheck ain't what it used to be.

Excellent advice

Cheers, HJ

Sorry, I didn't articulate that post well.

2Blades

"Chester" 4 blades transition
pilot
Would I do it? Never. I love the Marine Corps and flying skids too much. But that is just my personal opinion.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Stearmann here on AW is your best POC if you're interested in how to make the switch.

As of a couple of weeks ago, there are at least 3 ex-USMC pilots flying for the 160th. Two 46 guys (now MH-47s), and of the aforementioned skid guy who did the exchange tour, saw the light and is now flying AH-6s.

We do not take direct commision aviators. If you decide to assess for the 160th, you are doing so with the understanding that you will do it as a CW2. That said, we have an ex-46 squadron CO who's happy as a clam as his only responsibility besides flying is keeping the fridge stocked. The other guys were mid grade MAJs. We "grow" our own commisioned officers, which means they come to the unit as young captains, if not 1LTs now, and by the time they're MAJs they've been around long enough to be credible and effective company commanders. We just aren't big enough to find positions for a flood of commisioned guys. Even now, we're having to send guys back out into the Army for two years to get a command, and then bring them back.

We actually have a very found appreciation for USMC skid guys, and when unable to get organic gunship support we pick em' over the AH-64s every time. Some of the best gun cover I've had came from a reserve UH-1N squadron with two airline furloughed LTCs in the cockpit:eek:)

MR-

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
As of a couple of weeks ago, there are at least 3 ex-USMC pilots flying for the 160th. Two 46 guys (now MH-47s), and of the aforementioned skid guy who did the exchange tour, saw the light and is now flying AH-6s.

We do not take direct commision aviators. If you decide to assess for the 160th, you are doing so with the understanding that you will do it as a CW2. That said, we have an ex-46 squadron CO who's happy as a clam as his only responsibility besides flying is keeping the fridge stocked. The other guys were mid grade MAJs. We "grow" our own commisioned officers, which means they come to the unit as young captains, if not 1LTs now, and by the time they're MAJs they've been around long enough to be credible and effective company commanders. We just aren't big enough to find positions for a flood of commisioned guys. Even now, we're having to send guys back out into the Army for two years to get a command, and then bring them back.

We're actually have a very found appreciation for USMC skid guys, and when unable to get organic support gunship we pick em' over the AH-64s every time. Some of the best gun cover I've had came from a reserve UH-1N squadron with two airline furloughed LTCs in the cockpit:eek:)

MR-

A LtCol gave up his O-5 retirement to fly with 160th? Wow.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Actually, you still retire at the highest grade held, so he'll retire as an O-5, but right now, he'll probably pin on CW3 (accellerated) if he hasn't already, and he's getting the 25K SOA bonus, which puts him above 6 figures with no duties other than flying. Seems like a good deal to me.

Flying Toaster

None

We actually have a very found appreciation for USMC skid guys, and when unable to get organic gunship support we pick em' over the AH-64s every time. Some of the best gun cover I've had came from a reserve UH-1N squadron with two airline furloughed LTCs in the cockpit:eek:)

MR-

Actually, you still retire at the highest grade held, so he'll retire as an O-5, but right now, he'll probably pin on CW3 (accellerated) if he hasn't already, and he's getting the 25K SOA bonus, which puts him above 6 figures with no duties other than flying. Seems like a good deal to me.

Thanks for the response! Thats exactly what I wanted to know.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Holy shit, I hadn't thought about that. Thinking about other ways to run down the clock to retirement - fetching coffee for the Admiral on a joint staff somewhere, etc - this is a hell of a good deal. Crazy like a fox, those guys.

MasterBates

I probably don't FIT in the U-2.

While being USAF normally means you are Gay, or at least Metrosexual and Bi-Curious, I think the U-2 and A-10 drivers should be exempt from that normal correlation.