• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC RQ-21A news

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't doubt that it's doing good work, I was just trying to wrap my head around the range. Even if its cruise speed is something ridiculously slow like 10kts, it should be able to go farther than 50nm in 16 hours, unless that range is line of sight to the operator.

It's a tactical UAV. Range isn't as important as payload and endurance. It's purpose is to see what a small-unit commander needs to see, not be a Global Hawk halfway around the world.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Yeah, it's range is limited by line of sight. We've been told that BLOS capability is in the works, and we should start to see it next year. I'm not holding my breath.
Oh ok, LOS was the only reason I could think of but I just assumed everything was through satellites these days. Makes sense.

azguy

None
Do they launch/recover autonomously and fly waypoints or is there a pilot in the loop?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do they launch/recover autonomously and fly waypoints or is there a pilot in the loop?

"Autonomous" doesn't mean launch it and forget about it. It means you tell it what to do (fly to waypoint X, climb to FLXX) and monitor the AV to make sure it follows instructions, as opposed to stick-throttle flying. Of the bigger UAVs, only the Preds still are flown that way, and the AF is decomming the last of theirs (CBP/Coasties will still fly them for a while).

There's always a pilot in the loop.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

The autopilot is always flying the airplane. For the Blackjack a pilot can command altitudes, airspeeds, RPM/Throttle settings, and can use something called Control Wheel Steering to get the airplane to maneuver left and right to certain angles of bank, in addition to create routes, waypoints and orbits. However, the autopilot is always flying the airplane and it won't let you exceed certain parameters.

The launch process is pretty automated- you command ready to launch and when the PC hits the button on the launcher the thing follows the programmed logic to detect the launch and climb away. Recovery is a little less automated, but it is mostly preprogrammed- as in you edit and load recovery parameters for an approach then fly it. You have the ability to command a few things (for wave-offs) but the only thing you really hawk is airspeed. You essentially get one control (AS) to help manage glideslope, closure speed and crab angle. It's not a perfect system, but it works- and it's cheaper than training someone to hand fly.

Most of the brainpower is spent on the sensors (which is a good thing), and everything else is a scan. The hard part is having to be ahead of the little robot all the time, because you can't do any rapid maneuvering to get you out of a tight spot. That and learning that for better or worse the robot is going to do exactly what you told it to.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Oh ok, LOS was the only reason I could think of but I just assumed everything was through satellites these days. Makes sense.
Yeah. It's #1 heartache of the MEU right now. Having the LPD within 50 miles of where you want your UAV coverage is not optimal.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Yeah. It's #1 heartache of the MEU right now. Having the LPD within 50 miles of where you want your UAV coverage is not optimal.

Everything about being a Marine on a MEU is heartache.

My bad, I was under the impression that it had the same engine as the RQ-7, since the RQ-21 is built on the same body. If you are flying this above 7k and the noise isn't obvious on the ground then that's progress I suppose.

Pags

N/A
pilot

My bad, I was under the impression that it had the same engine as the RQ-7, since the RQ-21 is built on the same body. If you are flying this above 7k and the noise isn't obvious on the ground then that's progress I suppose.
I don't think RQ-21 is built on the same body as the RQ-7.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

I don't think RQ-21 is built on the same body as the RQ-7.

It's not.

RQ-21 is more closely related to (and a derivative of) Scan Eagle. It's an Insitu product, whereas Shadow is AAI, and a derivative of the RQ-2 Pioneer.