• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC RQ-21A news

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Not trying to be a dick, but it would be nice to have something that flew higher and wasn't as loud. I'm just some random dude on the internet, but it doesn't fit into the two main niches of either a)man packable or b) quiet/high.

Renegade One

None
It's a hot topic airplane...
21d2f2194e7eb6925dac5a428cc518d4398b850316887505b740e8bd0e8ffdd2.jpg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
16 hour endurance and 50nm range? Surely one of those is wrong right?

Interesting...I interpreted the 50 mile range as a surface-to-sensor range. If I am wrong that is a pretty sorry drone.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Interesting...I interpreted the 50 mile range as a surface-to-sensor range. If I am wrong that is a pretty sorry drone.

You mean ground control station? A TPOD with an effective 50nm range seems a little absurd, but I don't have that gucci shit on my bird so that's an educated guess.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
You mean ground control station? A TPOD with an effective 50nm range seems a little absurd, but I don't have that gucci shit on my bird so that's an educated guess.

Your guess is as good as mine...the article notes "16 hours endurance and 50 miles range."

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm going to guess that the range is the distance it can fly from the ground control station and is probably driven by LOS/altitude limitations on the link.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Not trying to be a dick, but it would be nice to have something that flew higher and wasn't as loud. I'm just some random dude on the internet, but it doesn't fit into the two main niches of either a)man packable or b) quiet/high.
The RQ-7 is pretty loud (really loud)- the -21 is much much quieter. From 3k feet it doesn't have a very noticable audible signature from the ground.

16 hour endurance and 50nm range? Surely one of those is wrong right?
ah, well... It depends. We recently flew one longer than 16 hours on less than a full bag of gas. The big issue is that we don't have a fuel level indicator. We tell it how much fuel is loaded and it has a fairly conservative fuel algorithm based on engine RPMs. Honestly the algorithm is way too conservative, but you still honor the low fuel indication when you get it, just like any other airplane.

And the 50 miles is accurate, if a little conservative- though not by too much.

I get it guys, so does the rest of the Marine Corps- but we've got what we've got, and we don't have $ for anything else- unless we start to cut F-35s (which ain't happening). At least we did not turn a low observable autonomous, carrier cable strike platform into a tanker...

If we can find a niche for this platform we're in a good place. The nice thing about this one is that the J/CFACC doesn't own this one.

These guys are on the ground, very close to the FLOT, doing face to face briefs with the guys they are supporting, and the supported units can't get enough of it. They are 1/2 way through their deployment and already over their flight hour allotment for the entire deployment.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm going to guess that the range is the distance it can fly from the ground control station and is probably driven by LOS/altitude limitations on the link.

Yes. Though the upper limit is 20,000 ft. The lower limit is LOS.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Don't feel bad, the Commandant already told them he didn't want it because it wasn't a quad copter...

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The RQ-7 is pretty loud (really loud)- the -21 is much much quieter. From 3k feet it doesn't have a very noticable audible signature from the ground.

ah, well... It depends. We recently flew one longer than 16 hours on less than a full bag of gas. The big issue is that we don't have a fuel level indicator. We tell it how much fuel is loaded and it has a fairly conservative fuel algorithm based on engine RPMs. Honestly the algorithm is way too conservative, but you still honor the low fuel indication when you get it, just like any other airplane.

And the 50 miles is accurate, if a little conservative- though not by too much.

I get it guys, so does the rest of the Marine Corps- but we've got what we've got, and we don't have $ for anything else- unless we start to cut F-35s (which ain't happening). At least we did not turn a low observable autonomous, carrier cable strike platform into a tanker...

If we can find a niche for this platform we're in a good place. The nice thing about this one is that the J/CFACC doesn't own this one.

These guys are on the ground, very close to the FLOT, doing face to face briefs with the guys they are supporting, and the supported units can't get enough of it. They are 1/2 way through their deployment and already over their flight hour allotment for the entire deployment.
I don't doubt that it's doing good work, I was just trying to wrap my head around the range. Even if its cruise speed is something ridiculously slow like 10kts, it should be able to go farther than 50nm in 16 hours, unless that range is line of sight to the operator.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I don't doubt that it's doing good work, I was just trying to wrap my head around the range. Even if its cruise speed is something ridiculously slow like 10kts, it should be able to go farther than 50nm in 16 hours, unless that range is line of sight to the operator.

Yeah, it's range is limited by line of sight. We've been told that BLOS capability is in the works, and we should start to see it next year. I'm not holding my breath.