• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC 'O' promotion info

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Precisely. The guy said they see all kinds of jacked up official photos. Ribbons on the wrong side pop up periodically as well.

That has got to be a reverse negative picture thing. I have a hard time believing anybody would wear his ribbons on the wrong side. Especially in an official photograph.:confused:

(here come the stories of officers wearing ribbons on the wrong side)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
That has got to be a reverse negative picture thing. I have a hard time believing anybody would wear his ribbons on the wrong side. Especially in an official photograph.:confused:

Several years ago, a few Captains were trying to get passed over for Major so that they could get out and get "the golden handshake" (separation pay). This was when nearly all pilots were selected even without a picture or PME.

Some of the tactics involved were self-generated date gaps in their fitreps, putting themselves on BCP, or sending in jacked up photos.

I've heard of guys growing cheesey mustaches, putting ribbons on the wrong side, or wearing other guys uniforms to appear even more sloppy/fat/unsat.

While some of this sounds funny (I'd actually love to see some of the pictures), it's stupid, grossly unprofessional, and a sea-lawyerly way to scam the system.

In my mind, you should be PME complete, send in a picture, and have no date gaps to be eligible for "the golden handshake".

Crowbar

None

For official pictures, your left foot is supposed to be forward. So if it was a mirrored picture, his right foot would have been forward and belt tip pointed to the right, in addition to the ribbons being on the wrong side. Dork here just tested out his last picture and those were the results.

phrogpilot73

That reminds me... I need to get a picture done and ready for the Jan '09 Reserve Majors board...

Then again, in the Reserves - I just have to fog a mirror to get selected.

Deror

How can I make this thread more awkward?
A friend of mine who is an Army Ranger just picked up Captain almost 3 years to the day from his commissioning. He told me that 98% of his class was selected, even Soldiers who have been relieved. Is this happening in the other services, or is the Army just really hurting for warm bodies?

I've read that picking up Captain is almost automatic, especially in the flight community, so I'm wondering more about if his short tenure as a Lieutenant is becoming the norm.

Thanks

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm assuming the Marines are the same, but with the Navy, unless you are completely and utterly retarded or have something like a DUI on your record, you're going to promote to O-3. The saying I've heard is that you have to be breathing to make JG, and conscious to make LT. Community doesn't matter. When I was stashed at my ROTC unit, however, the stashed 2LTs on the Army side said the norm there was 18 months to make 1LT and another 18 for CPT, unlike our 2 years. No idea if that's fact, but just what they told me.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Navy: O-2 and O-3 is an automatic promotion by law. The only way to not get it is to screw up royally, as you pointed out.
USMC: Only O-2 is an automatic promotion, but O-3 selection rates are extremely high.

Clux4

Banned
So, essentially, the best you can hope to achieve in the Navy is a state of consciousness, because it's all over once you pin on O-4.

Don't they get surgery to remove something at that grade? I guess she will have to be sedated ! :)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We'll see 7-8 years down the road for that one. The Navy just recognized that I can breathe, and in two years I'll get my total state of consciousness, so I've got that going for me.