• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC 'O' promotion info

Ric Hard

Heard a rumor through the LPA that the jump from 2nd to 1st LT. is now 18 months instead of 24. Is there any merit to this? Checked through some of the MarAdmins and through Marine Corps Times where this story originally originated from and have come up empty. Can someone spread some light on this for me?

Firebert

Not a good Commando name
pilot
The most junior 1stLt in zone for this board has a DOR of 30 APR 07. 9 months in rank...

Doesn't mean they will get promoted after a year and a half; but if you are being considered, the stats are above 90% you will get Capt the first time within the FY.

Crowbar

None
if you are being considered, the stats are above 90% you will get Capt the first time within the FY.

For those who are interested, the board's precept says that they are authorized to select up to 100% of eligible officers. Over the past few years there's been 98% or more selected each year.
FY08: 99.3% (99.0% in zone, 0.3% above zone)
FY07: 98.8% (98.5% in zone, 0.3% above zone)
FY06: 98.2% (98.1% in zone, 0.1% above zone)
FY05: 99.0% (98.4% in zone, 0.6% above zone)

RicHard said:
Heard a rumor through the LPA that the jump from 2nd to 1st LT. is now 18 months instead of 24.

I have not heard that. I wouldn't believe it until happens. I know there's always some weird case out there. For example, we had somebody at TBS who had gone to OCS 4 or 5 years before but for whatever reason didn't get commissioned. So when he eventually went to TBS it was with the guarantee that he would get promoted to 1stLt upon finishing TBS.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
So, uhhh... These numbers... Any idea how they will correspond with a promotion date? Likely answer could be your commissioning date, but I hear conflicting stories.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Just wondering...what's the point of sending in a photo for the promotion boards? Also, why are all AD officers in the Navy required to keep updated portraits in their service record?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just wondering...what's the point of sending in a photo for the promotion boards? Also, why are all AD officers in the Navy required to keep updated portraits in their service record?

Part one: So they can see that you are or are not a big pile of trash in your uniform. Part two: Because the Navy regs (now) say that it's a requirement (see part one).

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

At least on the Marine side, the basic point is to see if you're fat and/or look like a sack of shit in uniform.

There have always been rumors about them (board members) looking for IPs and brass placement, but that's bullshit. They'll probably notice ribbons out of order (maybe), but aside from that, just don't look like a douche and you'll be fine.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
At least on the Marine side, the basic point is to see if you're fat and/or look like a sack of shit in uniform.

There have always been rumors about them (board members) looking for IPs and brass placement, but that's bullshit. They'll probably notice ribbons out of order (maybe), but aside from that, just don't look like a douche and you'll be fine.

At the monitor roadshow last year they were showing an official photo of a LtCol with his web belt on backward.