• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC NFO Questions

392Hemi

You do realize the Marine Corps helicopter inventory includes mostly brand new Hueys and Cobras as well as CH-53's which is being upgraded to a brand new platform in the future as well. Also with the optempo the way it is in OEF currently, you will fly your ass off no matter platform you are flying regardless of service. Our guys who flew in OEF the last year came back with 500+ hours during a 6 month period.

I know they have many other helicopters than the Cobra, but like I said I don't want to completely give up on what I have always wanted to do. If I don't get a cobra in the future, then so be it, but at least I gave it a shot.

392Hemi

I mentioned it in one of the other posts how contrary to what the AVPLAN says, that there will be increased opportunities for NFO to pilot transitions, last year there were two spots and the year before that there weren't any spots. I don't know what the future holds transition-wise but there won't just be a wholesale redesignation of all NFOs and sending them back to the VTs.

What specifically is the AVPLAN?

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
For ARMY, there is no boot camp if you go to OCS. If you want to fly WO, it is boot camp then WOC school.

Army WO are doing 12-14 month depolyments and logging 800-1000 hours from what I have heard from the few WOs that I have met. Platform dependent of sorts. A while back I heard that some WO were getting shots a fixed wing from flight school but that went away from the latest debacle.

Kiowapilots.net is the place to go, those WOs will give you the low down and they are friendly helpful bunch.

Don't forget that the Army feeds the 160 SOAR as well as sends WO and regular LOs to NTPS!

exNavyOffRec

For ARMY, there is no boot camp if you go to OCS. If you want to fly WO, it is boot camp then WOC school.

Army WO are doing 12-14 month depolyments and logging 800-1000 hours from what I have heard from the few WOs that I have met. Platform dependent of sorts. A while back I heard that some WO were getting shots a fixed wing from flight school but that went away from the latest debacle.

Kiowapilots.net is the place to go, those WOs will give you the low down and they are friendly helpful bunch.

Don't forget that the Army feeds the 160 SOAR as well as sends WO and regular LOs to NTPS!

Hmm... then why are the army recruiters around me telling guys that want to be army officers that they need to go to boot camp first then they can go to OCS? I think someones is having trouble making goal.

djguernsey

Pro-Rec SNA - OCS Class Date 27 May 2012
Hmm... then why are the army recruiters around me telling guys that want to be army officers that they need to go to boot camp first then they can go to OCS? I think someones is having trouble making goal.

There are some cases where an Army recruit doesn't have to go to Boot before OCS, but all non prior college option Army OCS candidates do from what I understood a few months ago.

81montedriver

pilot

Did you go to an enlisted recruiter? Because if so , that is what they will tell you. They want you to believe they are guiding you down the right path when in fact they are just making their quota fatter by tricking you.

Army OCS= Army Officer
Boot camp+WOCS= Warrant Officer
Boot camp= Enlisted Soldier

Here it is Barney style.

djguernsey

Pro-Rec SNA - OCS Class Date 27 May 2012
Did you go to an enlisted recruiter? Because if so , that is what they will tell you. They want you to believe they are guiding you down the right path when in fact they are just making their quota fatter by tricking you.

Army OCS= Army Officer

Here it is Barney style.

Most of the army recruiters I have seen are enlisted, and handle mostly enlisted recruitment. However, they do handle OCS packets as well, or they bump it to someone who has. I cannot say whether there is trickery that happens or not. Officer candidates for the Army go to Basic first (unless they have done so as an enlisted person themselves), and then go to OCS. A smart Army OCS candidate will read the contract before signing it and know they they are going in to be an officer. They have a special MOS designation while they go through Basic.

exNavyOffRec

Army OCS= Army Officer

Here it is Barney style.

When myself and other OR's I work with are at college career fairs we get to see other services in action, and I know what I see is a snapshot but occasionally we are near other services and on more than one occasion the army recruiters, who are enlisted recruiters, will be next to us and we can hear them telling the guys they will go to boot camp then they have the option to go to OCS if they still want to be an officer, it wouldn't surprise me it they were trying to get them to straight up enlisted.

djj34

pilot
I'm just a lurker but one of my coworker's husbands (and former fellow USMC candidate) recently commissioned, after doing Army BCT + OCS with no break in between, straight out of college.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
........enlisted recruiters, will be next to us and we can hear them telling the guys they will go to boot camp then they have the option to go to OCS if they still want to be an officer, it wouldn't surprise me it they were trying to get them to straight up enlisted.

[Boot camp]+Army OCS= Army Officer

Here it is Barney style.

FIFY. Shockingly enough djgurnsey and djj34 are correct and Barney is still just a stupid purple dinosaur......or bumbling Sheriff's Deputy if you are that old.
There are some cases where an Army recruit doesn't have to go to Boot before OCS, but all non prior college option Army OCS candidates do from what I understood a few months ago....... Officer candidates for the Army go to Basic first (unless they have done so as an enlisted person themselves), and then go to OCS.........
Straight from the Army OCS page under 'Training', "Officer Candidates will attend Basic Training, a nine-week training course where candidates go through the process of becoming full-fledged Soldiers."

Having been unfortunate to have been stuck with a bunch of Army folks for a while I was a little surprised when the officers who had done OCS mentioned that they had to do enlisted boot camp first. I am not sure the exact reasoning behind it but they did know OCS candidates that failed to complete OCS and served out their time as an enlisted soldier, easy way to make sure they get some use out of them I suppose.

mmg

Does anyone happen to know the age waiver for marine nfo? I am about to turn 29 and have no prior service.

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
FIFY. Shockingly enough djgurnsey and djj34 are correct and Barney is still just a stupid purple dinosaur......or bumbling Sheriff's Deputy if you are that old.
Straight from the Army OCS page under 'Training', "Officer Candidates will attend Basic Training, a nine-week training course where candidates go through the process of becoming full-fledged Soldiers."

Having been unfortunate to have been stuck with a bunch of Army folks for a while I was a little surprised when the officers who had done OCS mentioned that they had to do enlisted boot camp first. I am not sure the exact reasoning behind it but they did know OCS candidates that failed to complete OCS and served out their time as an enlisted soldier, easy way to make sure they get some use out of them I suppose.

I am definitely corrected. You know that being said I have never met an army officer that was not prior enlisted in some branch or another. One PL was prior Navy, no boot, another was former Marine, no boot, all of my COs and XOs were prior enlisted army E-6 and E-7s, and another PL was ROTC and did not go to boot camp. So my assumptions got me where they usually do. But I will say that going off the street, to boot, to OCS is not the normal route at all. Which does seem to fit what I know about the army, the majority of folks do something specific (flight, etc), leveraged service to pay for college, or went to West Point and are now in higher leadership roles (field grade). Thanks for squaring me away.

getswole0763

I just got a call from my OSO today and all the flight spots are taken up now that my flight physical has just got back. I had PRK done last June so I had to wait for the waiver process and now the only spot available is NFO. I have always wanted to fly cobras and always will. Is there a chance you can switch to Pilot spot after TBS? Or Will I just be stuck with NFO? I just can't see myself stuffed into a Prowler riding around all day. I could do an f18 but what are the chances of getting an f18 opposed to the prowler? Those are the only two airframes where an NFO is used in the USMC correct? I also read that NFO's can be a forward air controller as well, which sounds way more appealing to me than sitting in the backseat of a jet, but how often does something like that occur? Sorry I have so many questions, but it is my future I am concerned about after all.

Hey 392 Hemi. I am pretty much in your same EXACT position. I am currently 20 years old (sophomore) and have dreams of someday being a Cobra Attack pilot. Unlike you I ended up spending my first couple years until this past semester in my school's NROTC Marine Option program as a college program Mid. I failed to pick up a scholarship, unfortunately. I got out because the scholarship opportunities (required to go to Marine OCS) have been (and are) pretty bleak for this next NROTC scholarship board, so I decided to try my luck with PLC.

Ideally, my goal is to be a Marine Officer, however I particularly am interested in being a pilot. With that in mind, I planned on getting eye surgery around this time frame (early 2012) and applying for PLC combined next year for an air contract with an eye surgery waiver. Sounds good, right? Well, I heard from my OSO about a month ago that PLC Combined for the next summer (2013) is likely to be cancelled with the current state of downsizing and the economy.

With the news that PLC combined would likely be cancelled for summer 2013, my thinking changed....drastically. The options presented to me were pretty much: apply for 1st/2nd increment PLC for Summer 2012 as NFO/Ground or go OCC (with much worse selection odds). My OSO also told me that I would be able to switch over contracts to SNA from NFO/Ground if I were to pick up either of the latter two contracts(my experience from AirWarriors has taught me that switching contracts is extremely hit or miss, and switching contracts from NFO to SNA is equally random during primary if I were to get that far).

Presented with my options then, I decided I wanted to shoot for PLC for this summer. I decided on applying NFO despite previous statements to my OSO that I wanted to avoid it like the plague (before I learned PLC combined 2013 would be likely cancelled thus killing my SNA application option).

What aided me in my decision to apply for NFO for OCS this summer was talking to other individuals that selected NFO and reading gouge. I learned that being a Marine NFO is actually a pretty cool job. I have learned thus far that being an NFO is much more involved/broad than telling the pilot where to go, etc. (which I am sure is what you have in your mind now, as well). Additionally, NFO's can be FAC's which is something that I have always wanted to do, as well. In all, I have come to the conclusion that I would be perfectly content being an NFO if it came down to it.

If all goes well, I hopefully get selected for PLC 1st increment this summer as NFO and complete 1st increment. In a perfect world, I plan on then getting eye surgery immediately, applying for a waiver, then applying/switching contracts to SNA before 2nd increment/seniors. Then I can continue on my merry way with a pilot contract....
.....Of course, that's a "perfect world" scenario for me.
--- If I am NOT selected for either PLC 1st increment class this summer, and PLC Combined for 2013 IS in fact cancelled (and I can not get a ground/NFO/SNA contract), then I am seriously considering going the Army WOFT route after college (to fly AH-64's or Kiowas, hopefully) and having a shot at 160th eventually.

I must admit this whole response is rather long winded, however that is a basic plan of what I plan on doing regarding my future. I think it is rather helpful that you see it, as I think we are pretty much in the same boat regarding our age, job desires, and current options. If you want to discuss your situation over the phone feel free to give me a call (send me a pm/email if you want it). I have spent loads of time over the years on airwarriors and reading up on Warrant Officer gouge, too. My advice to you is #1 decide if you want to be a Marine Officer first, or a Pilot first, #2 look over info regarding being an NFO, it helped me out quite a bit, and #3 follow your dream. Nobody said you couldn't be a Marine Officer then jump ship to Army and fly Apache's, right? Good luck.

Feel free to e-mail me at csyrowik@yahoo.com if you have any questions or wanna talk.

392Hemi

Hey 392 Hemi. I am pretty much in your same EXACT position. I am currently 20 years old (sophomore) and have dreams of someday being a Cobra Attack pilot. Unlike you I ended up spending my first couple years until this past semester in my school's NROTC Marine Option program as a college program Mid. I failed to pick up a scholarship, unfortunately. I got out because the scholarship opportunities (required to go to Marine OCS) have been (and are) pretty bleak for this next NROTC scholarship board, so I decided to try my luck with PLC.

Ideally, my goal is to be a Marine Officer, however I particularly am interested in being a pilot. With that in mind, I planned on getting eye surgery around this time frame (early 2012) and applying for PLC combined next year for an air contract with an eye surgery waiver. Sounds good, right? Well, I heard from my OSO about a month ago that PLC Combined for the next summer (2013) is likely to be cancelled with the current state of downsizing and the economy.

With the news that PLC combined would likely be cancelled for summer 2013, my thinking changed....drastically. The options presented to me were pretty much: apply for 1st/2nd increment PLC for Summer 2012 as NFO/Ground or go OCC (with much worse selection odds). My OSO also told me that I would be able to switch over contracts to SNA from NFO/Ground if I were to pick up either of the latter two contracts(my experience from AirWarriors has taught me that switching contracts is extremely hit or miss, and switching contracts from NFO to SNA is equally random during primary if I were to get that far).

Presented with my options then, I decided I wanted to shoot for PLC for this summer. I decided on applying NFO despite previous statements to my OSO that I wanted to avoid it like the plague (before I learned PLC combined 2013 would be likely cancelled thus killing my SNA application option).

What aided me in my decision to apply for NFO for OCS this summer was talking to other individuals that selected NFO and reading gouge. I learned that being a Marine NFO is actually a pretty cool job. I have learned thus far that being an NFO is much more involved/broad than telling the pilot where to go, etc. (which I am sure is what you have in your mind now, as well). Additionally, NFO's can be FAC's which is something that I have always wanted to do, as well. In all, I have come to the conclusion that I would be perfectly content being an NFO if it came down to it.

If all goes well, I hopefully get selected for PLC 1st increment this summer as NFO and complete 1st increment. In a perfect world, I plan on then getting eye surgery immediately, applying for a waiver, then applying/switching contracts to SNA before 2nd increment/seniors. Then I can continue on my merry way with a pilot contract....
.....Of course, that's a "perfect world" scenario for me.
--- If I am NOT selected for either PLC 1st increment class this summer, and PLC Combined for 2013 IS in fact cancelled (and I can not get a ground/NFO/SNA contract), then I am seriously considering going the Army WOFT route after college (to fly AH-64's or Kiowas, hopefully) and having a shot at 160th eventually.

I must admit this whole response is rather long winded, however that is a basic plan of what I plan on doing regarding my future. I think it is rather helpful that you see it, as I think we are pretty much in the same boat regarding our age, job desires, and current options. If you want to discuss your situation over the phone feel free to give me a call (send me a pm/email if you want it). I have spent loads of time over the years on airwarriors and reading up on Warrant Officer gouge, too. My advice to you is #1 decide if you want to be a Marine Officer first, or a Pilot first, #2 look over info regarding being an NFO, it helped me out quite a bit, and #3 follow your dream. Nobody said you couldn't be a Marine Officer then jump ship to Army and fly Apache's, right? Good luck.

Feel free to e-mail me at csyrowik@yahoo.com if you have any questions or wanna talk.

Email Sent

Cash1234

USMC Officer Candidate (NFO, PLC Juniors Complete)
Does anyone happen to know the age waiver for marine nfo? I am about to turn 29 and have no prior service.

I'm 26 (will be 28 when I commission) with no prior military service. My age waiver came back approved and I just got selected for PLC this summer with a NFO contract. It is possible but I know it was very competitive. My OSO wouldn’t send my package up to the board unless I was at a 5/6/6 ASTB and a 275 PFT. I ended up with a 6/6/6 and a 287. Good luck.