• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Law

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, just curious - are there any accredited law schools that do distance (a.k.a. online) education that you know of? How would that be perceived? My wife and I have been kicking that idea around...

You can can become a bar qualified lawyer in a few states without going to law school, I believe it is called 'reading' the law. You do it under the tutelage of a judge, apparently it can be pretty intensive study. The Washington Post had an article about some people doing it in Virginia a few years ago and I found this info on the net. Apparently this was a lot more common years ago, Thomas Jefferson and Strom Thurmond both did it.

http://calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/calbar_generic.jsp?cid=10581&id=24442#lawer6

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0603/p13s01-lecs.html

http://www.becomingalawyerwithoutlawschool.blogspot.com/

According to the CS Monitor article you can also do correspondence study but only three locales will let you take the bar.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... not the most logical path for an aviator to go. .... Plus, I heard lawyers are scum. ....
Yeah, that's true, they are ... but then again, the two paths paths often converge ....

On the airline, one standing caution line from the cranky, burned-out, post-menopausal OLD flight attendants to the fresh, dewy-eyed, voluptuous, newly-trained YOUNG flight attendants is:

OLD F/A QUESTION: "What is the ONLY thing that separates us from the scum of the earth .... ???" :icon_rage

New F/A response: Blinking, dewy-eyed, questioning, blank looks ..... :confused:

OLD F/A ANSWER: "The cockpit door." :eek:

MasterBates

Yeah, that's true, they are ... but then again, the two paths paths often converge ....

On the airline, one standing caution line from the cranky, burned-out, post-menopausal OLD flight attendants

There is another kind on US Domestic Carriers?

to the fresh, dewy-eyed, voluptuous, newly-trained YOUNG flight attendants

Where do I find these ones?

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
1st, trading in being a pilot for being a lawyer is insane.

That said, there are law programs in the Marine Corps you can apply for after doing a tour or two. They will require you to pay them back with service as a JAG, and Harm Raab to the contrary, the job seems kind of a drag, from what I've seen.

Go to usmc.mil, go to MARADMINS, and do a search for "law." It should pop up with the messages detailing the various programs. The Manpower site within usmc.mil should also have some gouge if you surf around awhile.

It might seem insane, but it's definitely been done. I knew a decent number of former aviators in law school. Try googling "Funded Legal Education Program" and "Extended Leave Program" and you should get what you're looking for on the details of those programs. If you get selected for FLEP (which is highly competitive), you can stay on active duty during law school and have it paid for. ELP just lets you take 3 years off for law school and come back as a 4402. That said, if you want to go in as an aviator first, this isn't going to be happening anytime in your near future. The USMC is going to get their money's worth out of you for your flight training before anyone would think of sending you to law school, regardless of what your LSAT score is. So, the possibility is there, but if your priority now is to fly I wouldn't even really think about it at this point. My uneducated guess is that being a 4402 is more enjoyable starting out as an O-3 than as an O-4, as well. I might come back in a few months to contradict phrogdriver's comment about being a 4402 being a drag, but as I'm studying for the bar right now my advice is to keep fantasizing about flying.

phrogpilot73

The USMC is going to get their money's worth out of you for your flight training before anyone would think of sending you to law school, regardless of what your LSAT score is.
True, but if you're a douchebag (like a guy in my squadron), you'll develop "headaches" which will make you permanently med down. Then you can apply to the Legal Education Program and become a full fledged lawyer. Amazingly, after he finished his law degree and became a JAG officer his headaches went away.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
True, but if you're a douchebag (like a guy in my squadron), you'll develop "headaches" which will make you permanently med down. Then you can apply to the Legal Education Program and become a full fledged lawyer. Amazingly, after he finished his law degree and became a JAG officer his headaches went away.

Funny how that happens.........:eek:

I am under the impression that the Marines are small enough though that word would get around about that, even to the JAG's. Though that type usually don't care......

phrogpilot73

Funny how that happens.........:eek:

I am under the impression that the Marines are small enough though that word would get around about that, even to the JAG's. Though that type usually don't care......
Yep - it's a very small world... Word got around very quickly, and as he was getting out of USMC (and even though he wasn't stationed anywhere near us anymore), we heard that he was bragging about how he found a way to get out of flying without any payback...

Amazingly enough, he asked my old XO for a letter of recommendation (right at about the time I was asking him for one as well). I told my old XO exactly what I had heard, and he wrote me a glowing one, and told him "I'll write you one, but I'm not sure you'll like what I write."

Brett1

Banned
When I started law school in the fall of 1994 I had a guy from VAQ137 in my orientation group. We ended up being good friends through school. He told me that due to a pilot glut and downsizing he was offered a severence package and was using the $$ to pay for school. He was an academy grad and got unreal grades even though he was super laid back. He ended up going back into the jag corp and is still there. He did hook me up with his prowler gouge during school!!!!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep - it's a very small world... Word got around very quickly, and as he was getting out of USMC (and even though he wasn't stationed anywhere near us anymore), we heard that he was bragging about how he found a way to get out of flying without any payback...

Amazingly enough, he asked my old XO for a letter of recommendation (right at about the time I was asking him for one as well). I told my old XO exactly what I had heard, and he wrote me a glowing one, and told him "I'll write you one, but I'm not sure you'll like what I write."

So is he still a JAG or just another slimy lawyer?

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."

That's odd- neither law school nor the practice of law are known for their headache-reducing powers.

...Thomas Jefferson and Strom Thurmond both did it.

So that's something else they have in common.