• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC ''guaranteed'' flight slot??

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Okay I coulda figured id catch some flack for that, but I do truly appreciate the information being given here & don't mean disrespect to anyone. Now that I have my first thread lashings out of the way. Swanee, why was your classes attrition rate so high? Does that happen often?
Good Save.

nickman730

HEY GLEASON!!!!
I'm sending this because of all the B.S. on this forum. I am an Ex-Air Force instructor pilot and combat vet who is now an international Airline Captain. I was enlisted in a gurad unit to help with college and went to Ft. Benning jump school with the Army. My 18 year old college soph just got accepted into Navy BDCP/pilot. (Navy program) Glad to see you are looking at all paths to military aviation. Those years were by far the best of my life. There is no wrong choice because any flying job is a great job, if aviation is in your blood. Apparently you have thick skin, based on what I read on the forum. It will serve you well.
USMC is a great way to get a sure flight slot. Many of my closest friends were Marine Aviators. The USMC has a flight program (PLC-aviation, I think) for college students. It used to be called AVROC or something like that. The Navy BDCP is the best program I have ever seen, because of the pay and your time in college counts toward retirement. Plus it has full military benefits. Both the Marine program and the BDCP are very competitive. The Marines places heavy emphasis on fitness score and Navy BDCP puts little emphasis on fitness but high emphasis on GPA and ASTB score.
I hear rumors that the USMC pilot pipeline is a bit sluggish at the present time, BUT that is just a rumor...apply anyway if you are interested. Never DQ yourself based on rumor. First hand experience about BDCP is that your must have 30 hrs minimum to apply, preferably from a 4yr college. GPA 2.7 minimum but 3.5 to be competitive. ASTB scores vary widely. I would study the info on AW to prepare. My son had 8/8/9 63 with a 3.5 in bio-medical engineering (33 credit hours) and got selected for Pilot/NFO/Intel.
Shoot for 7's and 50+ and prepare by using Barrons and the like by taking timed practice test-over and over to identify weak areas. Talk to an 'officer recruiter' in your area and be positive, professional, and persistent in your pursuit of this career path. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL PERSISTENCE.

81montedriver

pilot
why was your classes attrition rate so high? Does that happen often?

In addition to those things already mentioned, some people just do not have the ability to compartmentalize. In other words, at OCS you get yelled at alot. You will continue to get yelled until you prove that you get it, have a unique ability to fly under the radar, or a combination of both. Sometimes you get yelled at because a D.I. flat out doesn't like you. Or they are doing it to see if you can be rattled. Either way, they are doing their job and some people just don't have the ablity to handle that or recognize that. My COMPANY had a 42% attrition rate and I'd be willing to bet most of those attrites couldn't handle getting yelled at. Anyways good luck to you.

GLEASON_USMC

HEY GLEASON!!!!
I'm sending this because of all the B.S. on this forum. I am an Ex-Air Force instructor pilot and combat vet who is now an international Airline Captain. I was enlisted in a gurad unit to help with college and went to Ft. Benning jump school with the Army. My 18 year old college soph just got accepted into Navy BDCP/pilot. (Navy program) Glad to see you are looking at all paths to military aviation. Those years were by far the best of my life. There is no wrong choice because any flying job is a great job, if aviation is in your blood. Apparently you have thick skin, based on what I read on the forum. It will serve you well.
USMC is a great way to get a sure flight slot. Many of my closest friends were Marine Aviators. The USMC has a flight program (PLC-aviation, I think) for college students. It used to be called AVROC or something like that. The Navy BDCP is the best program I have ever seen, because of the pay and your time in college counts toward retirement. Plus it has full military benefits. Both the Marine program and the BDCP are very competitive. The Marines places heavy emphasis on fitness score and Navy BDCP puts little emphasis on fitness but high emphasis on GPA and ASTB score.
I hear rumors that the USMC pilot pipeline is a bit sluggish at the present time, BUT that is just a rumor...apply anyway if you are interested. Never DQ yourself based on rumor. First hand experience about BDCP is that your must have 30 hrs minimum to apply, preferably from a 4yr college. GPA 2.7 minimum but 3.5 to be competitive. ASTB scores vary widely. I would study the info on AW to prepare. My son had 8/8/9 63 with a 3.5 in bio-medical engineering (33 credit hours) and got selected for Pilot/NFO/Intel.
Shoot for 7's and 50+ and prepare by using Barrons and the like by taking timed practice test-over and over to identify weak areas. Talk to an 'officer recruiter' in your area and be positive, professional, and persistent in your pursuit of this career path. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL PERSISTENCE.

Hey thanks so much for your support, Ive been dreaming & researching of just how to become a military pilot since I was just a wee laddy. My uncle is also a retired AF vet & pilot, i believe he got out at the rank of Colonel and Ive always envied him for his flight status. Ive literally gone through seemingly every possible option/route of obtaining those pilot's wings & believe that the Marine Corps is my best fit. I will be consulting a Marine OSO today actually to see if I can get into the PLC with an AIR guarantee but from looking around the forum it appears as though i could be waiting awhile for an air contract or at least until october of this year. I cant thank you enough for taking the time to leave such sound advice & if there's anything else you think might help, please feel free to message me personally.