• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC F/A-18 from USAFA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Man, you have got to find something more meaningfull to do with your time, seriously. I am now positive that you have NO idea what youre talking about and just making crap up to take up space to add to the fact that you, like me have no REAL experience with this sort of thing. Reading brochures about a school and looking at their stats doesn't make you a friggen expert.

Integer

Banned
I was just responding to a statistics question, not about the Navy. :) I apologize for making my posts so long and annoying to read.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Integer, what you said might be true, if you assume a bunch of "facts not in evidence," to use a little "Law and Order" lingo. "Ace" said there were equal numbers of USAFA and ROTC, which was the basis of my conclusion. If you fill in your own numbers, than of course the answer is going to change! I just don't see how the overall failure rate would go to 24%, unless a vast number of OTS grads failed, which I don't buy.

And yes, I did take college stat, and hated every minute of it.

I think Towbubba said it best. "We have a 50% chance, either we win or we don't."

You may have a great point somewhere in there, but I only skim posts more than 1 screen long. I'll take my chance on missing great insights.

Math:

500 ROTC x .16 = 80
500 AFA x .08 = 40

80 + 40 = 120

120/1000 = 12%

you're right... He did say 1/4, so he probably meant that 8% of the total group of wash outs were AFA, and 16% were ROTC.

I didn't include OCS because the AF doesn't have any love for them. They fill extra ROTC slots, so AF OCS acceptance rates into UPT are pathetically low (almost minute). I don't have any specific numbers, and I'm not in the mood to go dig up that crap again, but if anyone doesn't beleive me then feel free to look it up.

from this site: http://www.edodo.org/rumormill/viewtopic.php?t=3508&highlight=upt+slots+rotc

I got this:

"Percentage-wise, ROTC gets fewer pilot slots than the academy, but if you work your ass off just the same, you'll fly. Last fiscal year, the academy got 533 pilot pickups, while of ROTC got 510 for about twice as many people. The last selection board's pickup rate was about 60% for us..... not bad, but not great either"

manny7_99

OMG! is this what you people live for? I'd rather be a grunt and go hunting snakes....Who's with me?

Pre-hunting snakes for the long weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.