• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC F/A-18 from USAFA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manny7_99

Never thought I'd say this

Integer said:
Take the AFA prep school slot. God knows at least one Academy wants you. Stop taking it for granted ;) Your post should read:

"Hi, I was accepted to a stint of five years' worth of great education at the academy that cares most about honesty and academic integrity. If my goal is to fly, should I accept the AFA's offer to fly a jet guaranteed? Because, I would much rather try to become a Marine helicopter pilot and get some of the smallest amounts of flight time in the Navy? This is a hard decision. Thanks!"

For the amount of effort you would put into getting a helicopter slot in the Marines (assuming you got into the USNA), you could put the same amount of effort into the Air Force Academy and qualify for a jet (since jets are not rare in the AFA and since you wouldn't have to concentrate on your shape as much as you would had you been in Marine training, giving you more time/energy to study, etc.)

Those are my $0.03. To people who actually know more about the service: feel free to pipe in and comment on anything that I did not remember correctly.

I'd never thought I'd say this but I do agree with Mr. Pre-appointee 2009 on this one. However the AF has strict height/weight standards, so even if you don't get timed on a 3-mile run you still will have to maintain good fitness and control your weight. Now, if your aunt is Ally Mcbeal you may get away with just walking around the neighborhood once a week. Just my op.

~Manny :eek:
Pre-Secretary of Defense (you'll see :D )

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Where's this "Smallest amount of flt time in the Navy" coming from? By and large, when someone says they want to fly "jets," I take them to mean "strike," and not jet transports. A transport pilot will get more flt hours than me. I'd almost guarantee that most strike guys of any service are not getting more flt time than Marine helo pilots. Second, we're not in the Navy, as you implied.

The other thing is that there is no guarantee of flying in the USAF, much less getting a "jet." The Marines actually have more pilots as a percentage of officers than the USAF. There are a lot of meteorology and missile Os around. At least every Marine pilot flies a combat aircraft as a primary MOS. There are no career C-21 pilots here.

Lastly, since when was USAFA the academy that cares most about honesty and academic integrity? Last I heard they've had problems getting their people to keep their wicks dry, much less being a paradigm of virtue. Not to give the academies any grief, since I think they're fine places to go to school, but y'all got to stop thinking of these places as having a magical spell of military greatness cast on them. They're just military schools, not Superman's "Fortress of Solitude."

Lastly, I will agree with Integer that it shouldn't be a hard decision. Either you want to be a Marine or you don't. If you are really in the weeds, thinking, "How many hours of flt time will I get," "What educational benefits are there," etc, than don't join the Corps. Join another service that gives more tangible benefits, vice the intangibles that the Marines offer.

manny7_99

phrogdriver said:
Lastly, I will agree with Integer that it shouldn't be a hard decision. Either you want to be a Marine or you don't. If you are really in the weeds, thinking, "How many hours of flt time will I get," "What educational benefits are there," etc, than don't join the Corps. Join another service that gives more tangible benefits, vice the intangibles that the Marines offer.

That was my point, I agree in the same area. If you want a top notch education (FOR FREE) and somewhat of a "pedegree" go with the academy, but if you passion is to be a Marine, Well, it doesn't really matter how you get there. Now,regarding fly time I have no frigging clue -LOL- but I'd listen to mr. phrog
~Manny :eek: :eek: :eek:

Integer

Banned
Right but...

I have heard that 95% (or maybe it was all) members of the AFA graduation class of 2004 got jets (or was it a pilot slot?) , who wanted one. This guy, if he wants a path that puts him into a plane, has GOT ONE RIGHT HERE.

Sir: If flying is what you want more, then attend the AFA, and stop staring a gift horse in the mouth. If being a marine is what you want more, then take one of the many paths to comission as a marine. However, you will never again have such a 100% guarantee to be in a plane again (though you still might be a pilot somehow), if you decide to pass by this opportunity. So, you have a call from your congressman that says "Congratulations, you can fly in seven years like you wanted." A GUARANTEED way of flying.

My point has been that, regardless of the actual amounts of planes or flying slots in the Navy versus the AF versus the MC, this guy has a 100% chance of flying if he just plays the game. See, there are many people who can never fly at all, even those who are otherwise physically qualified, for whatever other reasons.. Just read the NA section for people who, although they prefer the Navy, JUST WANT TO FLY A FREAKING PLANE, but have been passed up day after day by BDCP, or join OCS but find there are NO FLYING SPOTS AVAILABLE for people graduating from OCS that week, not even for the #1 graduate. So, don't take the limited opportunity given to you for granted.

On the other hand, if being a Marine is really what you want, then try to become a Marine. You still might become a Marine pilot. I also know there are branch transfers, am I correct?

Good luck!

kevin

integer, i dont know this for sure, but i can all but guarantee that not only would it be incorrect that 95% of afa grads get jets, but im pretty sure not even close to 95% get pilot slots. i only know from when i was looking at it a long long time ago and from my buddies in the af, but true, afa guys/gals get first dibs on a lot of stuff (just like na and nrotc guys do for navy/mc). but you arent admitted to the academy based on your ability to pass a class I flight physical, and it's unlikely there would be nearly 95% who would. not to mention that not everyone who goes to the afa wants to fly. that's just my take on it. and the only thing i would think might help afa grads to better their chances at getting jets might be that they have more opportunities during the 4 years to learn flight stuff, etc, since it's geared that way to begin with.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
in summary - if you're considering joining the Air Force, you're probably not of the Marine mindset. Go be a zoomie and get on with it.

Crowbar

None
Cobras4Ever said:
The only for sure that I have is the Air Force Academy Prep School.

followed by:

Integer said:
this guy has a 100% chance of flying if he just plays the game

Hmm. I'm just sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out how getting accepted into the AFA Prep School=absolutely positively guaranteed spot as a jet pilot. Am I the only one? Seems like there's a lot more to it than that, right?
-complete AFA Prep
-admission to USAFA
-complete all classes and training
-graduate USAFA
-begin flight training
-complete flight training
-be good enough (and lucky enough) to get a jet slot

None of those sounds too easy in and of itself. Maybe I'm just overthinking it, though. Funny you should mention, "I have heard that 95% (or maybe it was all) members of the AFA graduation class of 2004 got jets (or was it a pilot slot?) , who wanted one". I would first look at the source and check its validity. Next, if the AF does its training system similar to the Navy's, getting a flight slot and getting a jet slot are to vastly different worlds. Couple that with "who wanted one" and let's look at this. A quote from a former AFROTC student (now a Lt) I went to college with:
"Lots of people come here wanting to be pilots. Then they see that they have to have high PFT scores, a 3.5+ GPA, and good recommendations, so they say 'To hell with it' and ask for something else."
I don't know if USAFA works that way, but if so, there may be fewer people asking for pilot slots than any of us think (thus the higher %age of people getting them). I don't know, I don't really give a care about the Air Force so I don't research them.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Integer said:
Take the AFA prep school slot. God knows at least one Academy wants you. Stop taking it for granted ;)

If you have a hard on to go to any service academy, then take it. If you're goal is to be a marine, consider other sources (ROTC/PLC/OCC), because the end result is more important than how you got there.

P.S. The fun meter rules

Integer

Banned
Kevin

The statistic quoted was that 95% (or maybe 100%) of everybody in this year's graduating AFA class who WANTED a flying spot got it. Or maybe it was the same %, but everybody who pilot qualified who wanted a jet, got a jet. I don't remember the verbal quote now. However:

Not everybody who wants to fly has the opportunity! Not everybody who wants to attend an academy has the opportunity! This guy has both of these doors open to him.

See, it doesn't matter how good you are, smart you, hardworking you are: if the military does not select you to compete for a flying spot, you won't fly a jet for the military. Sure, maybe it's because one is too old, or not a citizen, or has bad vision and doesn't qualify for laser surgery, or has bad color vision, or has ligaments of 'wrong' proportions, or has poor blood pressure, or just can't cut the stressful academics, then maybe a student won't complete the flight training. But then, in this case, IF HE FAILS AT THOSE THINGS AS A MARINE STUDENT NA, HE WOULD HAVE ALSO FAILED THEM IN AF PILOT SCHOOL. So, assuming that he can cut it, he's got a 100% chance of flying. Obviously he has to work hard, but he has a 100% chance. (As opposed to saying no to the AFA and trying another way, which will NOT BE 100% as much as an open door staring him in the face as he has right now.)

Integer

Banned
-complete AFA Prep
-admission to USAFA
-complete all classes and training
-graduate USAFA
-begin flight training
-complete flight training
-be good enough (and lucky enough) to get a jet slot

As long as he stays on top of his ****, he will do all of that and more. This is the AFA we're talking about, the whole point of the AFA is to attract pilots, though not everybody wants to be one. It doesn't matter how many pilots there are in the AF compared to the Navy. This is the Air Force Academy, which has a huge proportion of pilots in it compared to the AF in itself.

Now, obviously, if he can't cut it, he wouldn't have cut it as a marine either, pilot or no pilot slot. But it's not like if he wants to fly, that he has a really hard choice to make here.

manny7_99

Crowbar said:
By that reasoning, a blind person with a bad heart has a 100% chance of flying Hornets. All they have to do is have heart and corneal transplants (successful transplants would be gravy), get the waiver approved by BUMED/NAMI, then they're a shoe-in! It's as easy as walking onto LSU's football team. All they have to do is work hard. (Right?)

"

I tried explaining the same point some time ago but I failed. Mr Integer just called me lazy and not good enough for his navy, lol. :rolleyes:

Oh, well...life goes on
Semper FI :mean_125:

kevin

crowbar, are you saying if i have a heart transplant i can be a walk-on at free-safety for lsu's football team [my eyes are already great]? what a deal, baby, what a deal! i dont suppose this would also apply to a slightly better team- aka, usc?

manny7_99

USC, now we are talking.....Let's try out together :icon_zbee

~Manny
Pre- Football star at USC, along with...whomever wants to come( NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY, but SHH!!! Just bang your head hard enough) :banghead_

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
manny7_99 said:
I tried explaining the same point some time ago but I failed. Mr Integer just called me lazy and not good enough for his navy, lol. :rolleyes:

Oh, well...life goes on
Semper FI :mean_125:

Is this the same guy who isn't even IN the Navy, let alone out of HS?

/confused

manny7_99

squeeze said:
Is this the same guy who isn't even IN the Navy, let alone out of HS?

/confused

that's what I first thought. Although I think Mr. Integer is out of H.S.
I don't really care anyway.
S/F

~Manny :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.