• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC F-18 Hornet Tiger Stripes

B

Blutonski816

nfo2b said:
Cool pic. Not as cool as the tiger stripes, IMHO, but cool nonetheless. I don't think they patterned it after the Matrix movie, though. It seems to mimic the new "digital" camouflage pattern on the Marine BDU's.

you are correct, sir...

and it's the Black knights of VMFA-314 that wear it...

601307.jpg

BTW: one question about Marine birds numbered "00"... does the use of the term "CAG bird" still apply (talking about the land-based guys in particular)??
Just thought I'd ask....

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
"Not sure about the x00 modex numbers for shore based squad's, if they don't call them CAG jets I would assume the CO's is who's it would be. Anybody know for sure?"

Was stashed with a USMC squadron for a bit and they called theirs "double nuts" or "nuts" for short. Never heard it referred as the CAG bird.

GrizzlyMike

Thanks for the info guys.

Thanks for sharing the site and pics Josh. That sure is a strange looking and unique camo job. At first I had to figure out what I was looking at. It looked like the images were pixelated or something when they loaded.

I will have to check out that forum. I have been looking for a place to share and discuss aviation and airshow pics. I belong to various photography forums but most are landscape or nature oriented and I usually just get flamed when I share airshow images and get lambasted for 'taking images that glorify war and destruction' etc.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
JoshDavid said:
.....Not sure about the x00 modex numbers for shore based squad's, if they don't call them CAG jets I would assume the CO's is who's it would be. Anybody know for sure?
Josh
UNLESS it's changed .... all "Double-Nuts" aircraft (that's Naval Aviator talk for "00" modex #'s for the unwashed...:) ) belong to the C.O and will probably sport the C.O.'s name. Unless, of course, the squadron is part of an Air Wing ... then it "belongs" to CAG if the C.O. is smart and desireous of being on CAG's good side. The C.O. would then, of course, "get" aircraft # x01.

It's good to be back in the world now ... time to go squeeze some limes ..... :)

B

Blutonski816

^that's a possibility, Meat...

I don't think I've ever seen pics of USN/USMC assets in Tiger Meet markings...

los5041

I had the chance to meet and hang out with the pilots of the F-18's when they where here in Cleveland. They found out that I had just gotten commisioned that day and they took me and my buddies out and got us rocked. Those guy's partied like rock stars both on Saturday and Sunday. Anyhow the NFO told me that when he was in charge of the shop he told the Gunny that he wanted them painted like a tiger since they were known as the Bengels and thats how they got the paint scheme.

phrogpilot73

When I checked into the squadron, we had the last camoflague CH-46E in the Marine Corps on the flight line. Actually got to fly it several times. It was inducted into SDLM after CAX 3/4, and SDLM requested (all the way to HQMC) to repaint it camo. Got a big "negatory" on that one, so it returned to us the same haze gray of all the other birds. But I do have pics of me with it, and that's all that matters :)

ZoomByU

Woo Woo
here is another picture of the marpat hornet

Attachments

• VMFA3140410cccccccc.JPG.66950.jpg
    VMFA3140410cccccccc.JPG.66950.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 269