• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC F-18 Hornet Tiger Stripes

GrizzlyMike

Is this a new camo pattern? I don't recall ever seing it before on an F-18. This is one bad looking jet. I took the shots at the Cleveland Airshow on Labor Day. 2 of the Pilots departed early and there was one aircraft in the display area.

CAS5.jpg

CAS9.jpg

CAS7.jpg

CAS8.jpg

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
That is vmfa(aw)-224, the bengals. Those ar 18D's they have. Usually the CAG or CO bird has the rudders painted in orange and black bengal stripes. Not unusual for USMC though, they do a lot of unique stuff. I forget which squadron it was, but they painted a jet that looked like the 'matrix'. It was about 5 different shades of gray and it looked like the screens that the matrix appears on in the movie. If you googled "digital hornet" you could probably find pics. I'll see if I have any to post.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Yeah... Marines don't fly the Rhino... definetely an -18D... the round intakes and the long leading-edge extensions are the giveaway...

Lot of unique camo patterns out there...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Yeah... Marines don't fly the Rhino... definetely an -18D... the round intakes and the long leading-edge extensions are the giveaway...

Lot of unique camo patterns out there...

where did anyone call it a "Rhino?"

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
The one true way to distinguish a -18D from an -18B are the 3 small radomes (look like little bumps) on each side of the forward fuselage and 3 radomes on the top, trailing edge of the vertical stabilator. The -18B has 1 and 2 respectively.

nugget81

pilot
JoshDavid said:
...they painted a jet that looked like the 'matrix'. It was about 5 different shades of gray and it looked like the screens that the matrix appears on in the movie. If you googled "digital hornet" you could probably find pics.

That's a cool looking jet also. You are right about the "digital Hornet" title but the whole "Matrix" deal is a bust. I'm pretty sure that Hornet was painted to represent the newest Marine camo pattern which was developed digitally and has the Marine Corps emblem throughout. Never did see too many Marine Corps emblems in the Matrix...

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(