• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Blue Angel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hendogg311

I am a USMC air contract officer candidate. I was wondering if any of you know about the Blue Angels selection process. I know they do take marine pilots in the Blues but how often and how many. I guessing only one slot for the team since they are primarily focusing on the Navy.

Ray

Blue Angel orders aren't something you ask your detailer for. You have to go to their shows and introduce yourself to them. You have to show them you are interested and willing to do it. Its not easy so they don't want people who will half ass it. Being a good pilot also helps. You have to be an outgoing individual. Its a recruiting tool so you have to fit the poster child mold.

privateer

You also need to know the secret handshake and have the special decoder ring. Oh almost forgot, go get you one of those really neato E6B watches with all the doodads you can put on it. Then they will know you are a real pilot and have to take you.

Dave Shutter

Their website actually has all the forms and information you need on applying for the team. I can't remember all of it but besides being a "career oriented Officer" you need 1200 tactical jet hours or something like that. It says you don't have to be a Hornet pilot but I don't think I've ever read a team member bio that hasn't contained a Hornet tour.

AArider

Originally posted by Dave Shutter
Their website actually has all the forms and information you need on applying for the team. I can't remember all of it but besides being a "career oriented Officer" you need 1200 tactical jet hours or something like that. It says you don't have to be a Hornet pilot but I don't think I've ever read a team member bio that hasn't contained a Hornet tour.

Historically (recently anyway) most of them have been Hornet pilots. However, a few years back they had a Harrier pilot on their team - who by the way did an outstanding job and later took command of a Harrier squadron in Cherry Point.

hendog311; my advise is don't worry about the Blues yet. Focus on getting through flight school and then on learning your MOS platform. If you don't fly Hornets or Harriers you probably won't qualify anyway. Oh, by the way the entire C130 (fat albert) crew is Marines. I think there are 3 fat albert pilots on the Blues team.

So, towards the end of your first tour start "rushing" the Blues - kind of like joining a fraternity. Keep with it. Then by the end of your second flying tour, you should have the hours, and know the people.

Good Luck,
AArider

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's the application instruction: https://cnatra.navaltx.navy.mil/cnatra/folder2/1301.4F.pdf
and here's the NAVADMIN that covers the whole process: http://www.bupers.navy.mil/navadmin/nav03/nav03045.txt

Hope this helps!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Pitz

FighterPilotManual.com
They call it Rushing the Blues because it's just like rushing a fraternity. You show up at an air show in your fighter and introduce yourself to all of the Blues. This includes everyone: the Pilots, the aircrew, the Flight Surgeon, and the Public Affairs Officer. You try to impress them with your gentlemanly qualities, and they try to figure out if they like you and would want to spend the next season with you.

You fly home and then return to another air show a couple of weeks later, whenever you can fit it into your schedule.

The Blues will invite you to attend a pre-air show brief; here you will have an opportunity to see what occurs prior to the show. Nobody except the Blue Angel Pilots is allowed into a post-air show brief.

You need to attend as many air shows as possible prior to July.

You have to be a carrier-qualed tactical jet guy. For timing purposes they like you to have only about a year into your shore-tour when you start your Blues Tour.

The flying they do is incredibly challenging. Your first year is tough as you try to keep up and not scrape paint. They always have close calls, but of course the public doesn't ever know about them. It takes an entire season to start to get comfortable and for the team to begin to jel. End of season airshows are much better than those at the beginning.

Once getting selected, some guys can't hack it. No big deal, it's understood that it is a difficult and fast paced evolution out in El Centro during Winter Training. A replacement is found soon as possible if needed.

Every guy has a rough time during his first year, no exceptions. But when they crawn out of their jets and meet the public, their smiling faces never give a hint know just how close they came to buying the farm.

So the answer to your question is, anyone can Rush the Blues after their first sea tour if they have 1250 hours tactical jet time (T-45 time counts). Must have the magic number by November, so in other words, the guys getting picked up this year needed 1250 by last month.

futrMarineBlueAngel

How many of you think it's plausible, in the next few years, to have a female Blue Angel pilot. Just wondering because when I'm up their I'd like to know what to expect from you guys on the ground.

Clux4

Banned
There is always a FIRST for everything. I don't think there is any policy that prohibits women. I think a woman on the team would do alot of good to recruitement.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Clux4 said:
There is always a FIRST for everything. I don't think there is any policy that prohibits women. I think a woman on the team would do alot of good to recruitement.

I think a woman could pull off the tight flight suit alot better than the men honestly they look pretty gay in the club and the current blues seem to grab each other's asses alot. Also not a lot of trigger time in the blues but yes they do a great job for recruiting while the real warriors are out flying gray slightly dirty birds killing America's enemies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
I think a woman could pull off the tight flight suit alot better than the men honestly they look pretty gay in the club and the current blues seem to grab each other's asses alot. Also not a lot of trigger time in the blues but yes they do a great job for recruiting while the real warriors are out flying gray slightly dirty birds killing America's enemies.

Someone have.....flight suit envy? :icon_mi_1

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nope blue skin tight not my thing but it might look hot on a chick but kinda gay on a dude

Status
Not open for further replies.