• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Air Contracts still possible?

ChrisRustyDog

I've been hearing rumors about these contracts vanishing? I have a 5/6/5 on my ASTB test, PRK surgery with 20/20 in both eyes now and a PFT score thats getting closer and closer to 300.

I was planning on taking my flight physical soon and applying in a few months but I heard all of this...Am I going to be able to get a contract still? If not, what changes must I make?

hst

Are you OCC or PLC? OCC contracts are much more competitive, and there haven't been many OCC-Air contracts lately. Your OSO is probably the best source for this info.

jtmedli

pilot
There are no air contracts to be had right now. MAYBE for OCC205 but you're gonna have to run 285 or better PFT for that class.

BTW, there are two rather large threads here about this very thing. Use the SEARCH function. It's there to be your friend.

USNShadow

Round 2
No flight slots for FY2011? Is there any truth behind this?

Talked to OSO the other day and heard there is going to be no air slots for OCC classes for FY2011? Is there any truth behind this. Other threads have mentioned a little bit about this, however none have a complete or positive answer. So any help will be appreciated.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Talked to OSO the other day and heard there is going to be no air slots for OCC classes for FY2011? Is there any truth behind this. Other threads have mentioned a little bit about this, however none have a complete or positive answer. So any help will be appreciated.

And most likely no one will, until 2011... My OSO had 2 slots fall in his lap like 2 months before OCC-200 started, I walked in his door the next day. Your OSO said he didn't have any slots. Do you think he would lie to you?

mrpink

This is true, I heard the same from my OSO. So the hard question is, should we wait for air slots that may or may not be available for almost 2 years, or choose a different MOS...? I'd like to know what other people have decided to do.

pwdbyhrses

Go to OCS ground and fight for (potential) air contracts at TBS. You are a Marine first. I'll live either way, but I'll be damned if I don't go down fighting to fly.

jtmedli

pilot
Go to OCS ground and fight for (potential) air contracts at TBS. You are a Marine first. I'll live either way, but I'll be damned if I don't go down fighting to fly.

This should be accompanied by the disclaimer that there are numerous people going this route and very likely very few slots at TBS. My buddies that have grad'd recently from TBS were talking in the '2 slots per class on a good day' range.

HAWK22

pilot
That is horrible advice about taking a ground contract in an attempt to later secure an air slot. With things being what they are now, i.e. recent redstripe of FRS Hornets, 6-7 month wait times to start in the FRS (101 at least), not to mention a crazy slow journey through primary right now (have a buddy in corpus who classes up in SEP 09 and hasn't flown once yet. yes, seriously), there is little to no need to add more guys to the mix and inflame the problem. So even if you were lucky enough to even be offered to take the ASTB at TBS, you could straight up ace it and still not get a slot. Or even worse, be told you could compete for a slot only to have them not even offer the test in the first place.

If this risky path is the only possible road to an air contract these days, then it is up to the individual to make that "informed decision" on how they would like to proceed. Every Marine is a rifleman no doubt, but if you accept a ground contract thinking you might pick up an air contract, you might find that statement is in fact completely true. Ground guys are the absolute balls, but just know if your heart is set on flying and you accept this crazy offer from an OSO, stand by......

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I would agree with Hawk. What we have seen in the jet VT's lately (assuming you are a krock dude from previous posts) makes it very clear that the Marine Corps doesn't need many jet pilots right now, and I would simply ***guess*** that this isn't limited to pointy noses. In other words, the demand meter seems to be swinging back to the empty side in both services. What does that mean for an applicant? Bring your A game on your package, and be persistent. I've seen trends swing a couple of times since I have been on AD and from back in my middie days. Don't give up!

HAWK22

pilot
Yes, I am about to finish up in K-Rock. Recently at the past few AOM's, the topic of grades has been brought up fairly regularly. In my roughly 1.5 year tour here, higher has never really talked about grades at all. Now they're saying "don't be the bottom feeder" and "if your grades are really low you might get a special spotlight put on you" etc etc. Nothing that every IP and stud here doesn't know already, but i thought times are getting really tight if they have started to address grades in that fashion. So guys that are trying to wing are even starting to feel the squeeze now. Anyway, my entire point of this post is that yes, the demand meter is definitely swinging to the empty side. Have as solid an application package as possible, don't do anything stupid and get pinched by the cops, and don't give up trying to grab that air contract if that is what you are shooting for.

pwdbyhrses

As I said previously...you are a Marine first. I'm a-ok with going ground if I can't go air. It's not for everyone though. So if you can afford to wait, wait for a flight guarantee. I'm a female, getting older, and not willing to risk waiting until October only to be told there are no air slots/I don't get selected and I have to wait until next June for OCS. IOW: do what makes your little heart flutter.

I actually had a flight spot but NAMI threw a fit , told me I needed to go back for another full flight physical (I already had one) but there are no flight physicals avail. for OCC candidates at the moment.

I heard back from a buddy yesterday that told me his company (he didn't know about others) at TBS has 1 air, 2 NFO slots. There are about ten people actively campaigning for those slots per what he's telling me.

HAWK22

pilot
If you enter with a ground contract hoping to go air, you are taking a huge risk. Actually, it might even be a gamble at that point. As I said previously, each individual must decide for himself if it is worth the risk. So if ones clock is ticking and time is a factor, hey give it a shot. Worst case you are a Marine officer with a ground MOS. Still kick ass. But if you can afford to wait for calmer seas, I would STRONGLY advise one to wait and root out a guaranteed air contract.

With all due respect pwdbyhrses, you appeared to be answering the question previously posted by mrpink about going in as ground and fighting for air. Disagreed with your response, but not your personal choice.