• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USERRA 5 year limit

samwrightancientlawyer

Samuserralawyer
I have just joined this forum because I see my name mentioned occasionally in connection with the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA). I participated in the drafting of this law when I was an attorney for the Department of Labor. USERRA was enacted in 1994 as an update of a 1940 law. I am the author of 1500 articles about USERRA that are available for free at www.ROA.org/lawcenter. See Law Review 16043 (May 2016) for a detailed discussion of USERRA’s five-year limit.

Samuel F Wright
Captain, JAGC, USN (Ret)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have just joined this forum because I see my name mentioned occasionally in connection with the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA). I participated in the drafting of this law when I was an attorney for the Department of Labor. USERRA was enacted in 1994 as an update of a 1940 law. I am the author of 1500 articles about USERRA that are available for free at www.ROA.org/lawcenter. See Law Review 16043 (May 2016) for a detailed discussion of USERRA’s five-year limit.

Samuel F Wright
Captain, JAGC, USN (Ret)
Welcome aboard CAPT!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Samuel F Wright
Captain, JAGC, USN (Ret)
Definitely a great resource for the Guard/Reserve guys!

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Yes, but USERRA is not limited to Reserve and National Guard service. Please see Law Review 23001 (January 2023). Go to www.ROA.org/lawcenter
Is there any way of “resetting” one’s USERRA clock at the same employer during the same employment period? As in, could someone go on orders for a few years, come back to their civilian job, and have a fresh 5 years to take again after some period of time?

That could be bad gouge, but I remember talking to a guard guy who made it seem like it was possible.

samwrightancientlawyer

Samuserralawyer
The only way to reset the five-year clock is by starting a new job with a new employer, but there are nine exemptions from the five-year limit. That is, there are nine kinds of service that do not count toward exhausting your five-year limit. See Law Review 16043 (May 2016). That article explains, in great detail, what counts and what does not count in exhausting your five-year limit.

samwrightancientlawyer

Samuserralawyer
Here is the text of section 4312(c) of USERRA--section 4312(c) of title 38 of the United States Code:

(c) Subsection (a) shall apply to a person who is absent from a position of employment by reason of service in the uniformed services if such person’s cumulative period of service in the uniformed services, with respect to the employer relationship for which a person seeks reemployment, does not exceed five years, except that any such period of service shall not include any service—
(1) that is required, beyond five years, to complete an initial period of obligated service;
(2) during which such person was unable to obtain orders releasing such person from a period of service in the uniformed services before the expiration of such five-year period and such inability was through no fault of such person;
(3) performed as required pursuant to section 10147 of title 10 [10 USCS § 10147], under section 502(a) or 503 of title 32 [32 USCS § 502(a) or 503], or to fulfill additional training requirements determined and certified in writing by the Secretary concerned, to be necessary for professional development, or for completion of skill training or retraining; or
(4) performed by a member of a uniformed service who is—
(A) ordered to or retained on active duty under section 688, 12301(a), 12301(g), 12302, 12304, 12304a, 12304b, or 12305 of title 10 [10 USCS § 688, 12301(a), 12301(g), 12302, 12304, 12304a, 12304b, or 12305] or under section 331, 332, 359, 360, 367, or 712 of title 14 [14 USCS § 2127, 2128, 2308, 2309, 2314, or 3713];
(B) ordered to or retained on active duty (other than for training) under any provision of law because of a war or national emergency declared by the President or the Congress, as determined by the Secretary concerned;
(C) ordered to active duty (other than for training) in support, as determined by the Secretary concerned, of an operational mission for which personnel have been ordered to active duty under section 12304 of title 10 [10 USCS § 12304];
(D) ordered to active duty in support, as determined by the Secretary concerned, of a critical mission or requirement of the uniformed services;
(E) called into Federal service as a member of the National Guard under chapter 15 of title 10 [10 USCS §§ 331 et seq.] or under section 12406 of title 10 [10 USCS § 12406]; or
(F) ordered to full-time National Guard duty (other than for training) under section 502(f)(2)(A) of title 32 [32 USCS § 502(f)(2)(A)] when authorized by the President or the Secretary of Defense for the purpose of responding to a national emergency declared by the President and supported by Federal funds, as determined by the Secretary concerned.
(d)

38 USCS § 4312

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Here is a question i was considering the other day. Is there any employer guidance about how to deal with a long term reservist who has exhausted their 5 years of USERRA, but continues to drill in the reserves? I.e. the scenario for most continuing into the reserves much past 20 years (or i suppose reserve babies as well)

samwrightancientlawyer

Samuserralawyer
USERRA's five-year limit does not include drill weekends, annual training, or any involuntary service, like a mobilization. If Joe Smith has exhausted his five-year limit, he can and frequently does continue to serve in the Reserve or National Guard. Going forward, he needs to be most careful that any further service that he does is exempt from the five-year limit, under the exemptions set forth in section 4312(c). See Law Revie2 16043 (May 2016) for a detailed explanation of what counts and what does not count in exhausting an individual's five-year limit. Go to www.roa.org/lawcenter.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
USERRA's five-year limit does not include drill weekends, annual training, or any involuntary service, like a mobilization. If Joe Smith has exhausted his five-year limit, he can and frequently does continue to serve in the Reserve or National Guard. Going forward, he needs to be most careful that any further service that he does is exempt from the five-year limit, under the exemptions set forth in section 4312(c). See Law Revie2 16043 (May 2016) for a detailed explanation of what counts and what does not count in exhausting an individual's five-year limit. Go to www.roa.org/lawcenter.

So by “drill weekends”, are you referring to IDT drills specifically? In other words, Mob(ilization)s, IDTs and AT don’t count, but everything else does (i.e. AFTP/RMP/etc and ADT orders)?

samwrightancientlawyer

Samuserralawyer
Please see Law Review 16043 (May 2016). The things you mention are all exempt from the computation of the five-year limit. Most voluntary active duty counts toward the five-year limit, but even voluntary active duty can be exempted if the Service Secretary (like the SECNAV) has made the necessary determination. The "magic words" need to be in your orders or your DD-214.

Go to www.roa.org/lawcenter. You will find 1500 "Law Review" articles about USERRA and another 600 about other military-relevant laws. The articles are available for free to everyone, not just members of the Reserve Organization of America (ROA). There is no toll booth on the road to the Law Review Library.

To get to Law Review 16043, go to www.roa/org/lawcenter. Go to "numerical index" then "2016 articles." You will find the 2016 articles in numerical (chronological) order.

If you want to discuss your situation with me individually,, send me an email at samwright50@yahoo.com. I will not charge you for the consultation, but I will ask you to join ROA, if you are not already a member.

Have a great Navy weekend. Captain Samuel F. Wright, JAGC, USN (Ret.)

C

samwrightancientlawyer

Samuserralawyer
Thank you for your kind words. I have made the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (enacted in 1994) and the Veterans' Reemployment Rights Act (enacted in 1940) the focus of my military career and my legal career. I developed the interest and expertise in this law during the decade (1982-92) that I worked for the Department of Labor (DOL) as an attorney. USERRA was largely drafted by two DOL lawyers, Susan M. Webman and me. I am sometimes called the "father of USERRA" and Susan M. Webman the "mother." But let the record reflect that this was an immaculate conception. In the immortal words of the President who signed USERRA: "I did not have sex with that woman."

Samuel F. Wright
Captain, JAGC, USN (Ret.)