• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USEFUL OCS BOARD INFO

nrodda90

SWOtivated
They should just send those who cant meet BCA or pass PRT home for good. There are people in line for their spots....come on. They must not want it that bad.
Don't be so quick to end someone's dream b/c they fail in one area. Everyone fails at something while at OCS. That's how character and discipline are learned. Your drive is commendable, but don't be so quick to condemn a fellow sailor struggling. Your time will come.

Chin

Don't be so quick to end someone's dream b/c they fail in one area. Everyone fails at something while at OCS. That's how character and discipline are learned. Your drive is commendable, but don't be so quick to condemn a fellow sailor struggling. Your time will come.
I concur with your statement. I should look at the whole person concept. Physical fitness doesnt dictate the ability in becoming an officer.

exNavyOffRec

I concur with your statement. I should look at the whole person concept. Physical fitness doesnt dictate the ability in becoming an officer.

Yep, I have worked with some officers who were in great physical shape, and that is all they focused on, working out, running marathons, and sometimes they would realize they were in the USN long enough to sign paperwork.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
They should just send those who cant meet BCA or pass PRT home for good. There are people in line for their spots....come on. They must not want it that bad.
Yeah send someone home for something that can be easily fixed....rather have someone that can get in shape than someone in shape that doesn't have the motivation to complete flight school.

SWOMan

What would happen if someone showed up slightly over nami flight physical weight by an lb or 2? I'm working my way back down after the holidays, but I fear i'm always gonna be struggling to make the max 235. Not because i'm fat, but because I'm 6 foot 5 and have been lifting weights since I was in middle school. Working to cut any and all remaining body fat, but i'm really not sure what my lowest possible point will be before i'm sub 6 percent bodyfat. ( at around 15 right now)

nrodda90

SWOtivated
If you are overweight when you get to OCS they will tape you. As long as you are within the BMI standards you will be fine, if not they will place you into H-Class until you meet standards. Saw several fleet guys that passed the PFA but missed the BMI standards by a few inches/pounds put in H for at least three weeks. Just drink a ton of water over the next few weeks and start dropping water weight the week before. You'll be fine bro.

SWOMan

I'm well within the navy bodyfat percentage. What i meant is for the Nami flight physical, not for OCS in general. Would i instantly be transferred over to a different selection if I can't hit that max weight?

nrodda90

SWOtivated
No, there's only one weight measurement while at OCS. Down in P-Cola, I can't speak for that, never been. But as far as flight is concerned at OCS the requirements are all the same. If you don't make weight, you go to H.

I'm 6'4, broad shoulders, wide hips. Even when running 6 minutes miles and benching 300+ I come right up against the weight limit for my height.

I don't eat pasta, potato products, fried food, bread, sweets, soda, or alcohol. And it will still be tight when I have to weigh next month.

I have friends of the same height that never work out, eat badly, and have thin frames that keep them at 160lbs max.

Don't assume one size fits all, or that weight is anything more than a number. Personally I think the navy should drop the weight standard completely, but that is neither here nor there.

Igloojam

pilot
If you are overweight when you get to OCS they will tape you. As long as you are within the BMI standards you will be fine, if not they will place you into H-Class until you meet standards. Saw several fleet guys that passed the PFA but missed the BMI standards by a few inches/pounds put in H for at least three weeks. Just drink a ton of water over the next few weeks and start dropping water weight the week before. You'll be fine bro.

The navy's, military in general, have the shittiest method to determining fat percent etc... Prior Marine here... but I would max PFTs... 18 min 3 mile, max pulls/crunches... but I would sometimes fail ht/wt... One time I failed ht/wt... got taped and failed that too... The gunny saw my pt scores and general appearance in uniform and decided it was bullshit... lets just say my recorded wait "accidentally" got put in wrong.

egiv

Fair enough, you don't have to be a PT stud to be a good officer. However, failing the in-PFA at OCS shows that you either didn't prepare properly, didn't do the research to understand the requirements, or didn't care enough to get yourself where the Navy requires you do be (and will continue to require after you commission). Whether or not you agree with it, the new policy is 2 failures within 3 years and you're out; might as well get used to it now.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Question that seems to fit best here--is it just me or did all of the PAs get moved to a CAC acess only portal?