• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USCG flight school questions (stupid & otherwise)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
When dealing with a recruiter, make sure you are speaking to an Officer recruiter. Most recruiters are only looking to enlist personnel. They have specific areas they are targetting (nuclear school, minority, NSW, etc) so if you don't fit into the area they are responsible for, they can't and probably won't do much to help you.
Since enlisted recruiters aren't looking for people to go to flight school, they can do nothing for you. When you call the recruiting station make sure you specifically ask for an Officer Programs recruiter.

sardaddy

pilot
The Coast Guard doesn't have officer recruiters. One size fits all. Heck most states only have one or two CG recruiters to cover the whole area.

kacraven

PRK in CSPI

Heck most states only have one or two CG recruiters to cover the whole area.

Yeah I'm from the midwest - we got 2 guys covering all of MN, IA, ND, SD and half of wisconsin ... It's a little hard to get ahold of them sometimes!

I already asked this question on coastguardocs.org but figured i'd ask here too -- anybody know about getting PRK during CSPI? Is it possible?

joeflyer

Question: I've read that if you are in the reserve the max age for admission can be increased. My question is two fold.

Is this true?

Does this also apply to flight school as well?

Scotty-O

Due to the government,I feel over-stimulated.
Question: I've read that if you are in the reserve the max age for admission can be increased.

As far as I've ever known, only active duty time can increase your age to apply, and that was if you were enlisted before age 26 (the cutoff age) and essentially "stopped the clock" at that point.

So, unless something has changed, reserve time will not help you. Sorry.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you're talking about the Air Force's Falcon, the F-35 will have completely replaced it by 2025.

The Navy doesn't fly it.

Uh... dude, read the thread. It's a USCG thread. He means their falcon jet.

Sorry OP. I have no idea.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you're talking about the Air Force's Falcon, the F-35 will have completely replaced it by 2025.

The Navy doesn't fly it.

The Air Force flies the F-16 Fighting Falcon, but those who fly and work on it call it the Viper. It's alternate nickname is Lawn Dart. But as Otto notes, this is a Coast Guard thread so he likely means the HU-25 Guardian, which is made by Dassault Falcon. Commercial versions are called Falcon.

hu25_guardian_top.jpg

See above, it's Guardian.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor

Brain fart, Otto. My bad.

OP, Coast Guard plans on keeping YOUR Falcon (which as heyjoe pointed out, is the militarized version of the Dassault Falcon) around until at least 2010. Most Falcons in service are only about halfway through their service life (they replaced the Albatross and the C-131 in 1982) There was a study commissioned in 1997 to determine way to maybe extend its service life, but far as I know, everything they started has since been delayed or cancelled...

Sorry I answered on reflex with that Air Force thing. I shall sit in the corner with my DUNCE hat for the interim.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brain fart, Otto. My bad.

Sorry I answered on reflex with that Air Force thing. I shall sit in the corner with my DUNCE hat for the interim.

Practice writing Guardian while you're at it:

primary_uscg_sm.jpg

Aircraft and Cutters
HU-25 "Guardian" Medium Range Surveillance Aircraft

HU-25.jpg

Characteristics:

Manufacturer: FalconJet
Wing Span: 54'
Wing Area: 450 sq. ft.
Height: 18'
Length: 56'
Max Gross Weight: 32,000 lbs
Empty Weight: 25,500 lbs
Number of engines: 2
Propulsion Type: Garrett ATF3-6-2C Turbofan
Number of Operational Aircraft: 9(A's) 3(B's) 8(C's)
Number of Storage or Support Aircraft: 16(A's) 4(B's) 1(C)
Total Aircraft: 25(A's) 7(B's) 9(C's)