• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USCG flight school questions (stupid & otherwise)

bjb83

OCS and Flight School

Just looking for a little info on Coast Guard OCS and flight training. I am waiting to submit my package for OCS. I don't know too much about the structure of OCS or flight school. Any info would be helpful. Later.....

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I don't know anything about CG OCS, but we have a few Coasties on the board who might be able to help you out.

However, I am pretty sure the Coast Guard does all of its flight training, API through winging, with the Navy. So, with minor exception, it is the same as the Navy flight training you read here on AW. Obviously the fleet platforms are different, so the CG doesn't do the TH syllabus.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Cg Ocs

Coast Guard OCS is 17 weeks and takes place at the CG Academy in New London, CT. A good place to learn all you can is www.coastguardocs.com, it will go more in depth as to what you can expect.
While at OCS you will apply for Flight School...my advice is if you are accepted into OCS that you take the AFQT prior to being at OCS. That way you can get plenty of sleep the night before and take the test, vice being sleep deprived at OCS (which is a large part of OCS, let's be honest) and hoping for the best.
Primary/intermediate flight training is with the Navy at Whiting Field, then remain there for advanced for helos, or on to Corpus Christi for fixed wing advanced. The final training is at Mobile, AL for helos or the Falcon jet or Little Rock, AR for the C-130.
If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me and I will try to answer them.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Coasties also select platform (helo or fixed wing) based off their API NSS. They get a pool going once there is enough bodies in Whiting. Top 3 get their choice while everyone else is at the mercy of the needs of CG.

sardaddy

pilot
Coasties also select platform (helo or fixed wing) based off their API NSS. They get a pool going once there is enough bodies in Whiting. Top 3 get their choice while everyone else is at the mercy of the needs of CG.

Not entirely true. It all depends on the class and the CG Liaision at the time. There have been times that the students were given what slots were available and told to figure out who was going where and report back to the Liaision with the answer.

There is nothing written anywhere that the top three get their choice. It all depends on the class.

bjb83

OCS to Flight School

Alright.... one more question. I am currently a civilian so will I be eligible to go to flight school directly from CG OCS, or will I be stationed somewhere else and then apply? Thanks for all the help.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
I'm pretty sure they are still taking people straight out of OCS and sending them to flight school.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Not entirely true. It all depends on the class and the CG Liaision at the time. There have been times that the students were given what slots were available and told to figure out who was going where and report back to the Liaision with the answer.

There is nothing written anywhere that the top three get their choice. It all depends on the class.

Lol....I would LOVE to see how that worked out for the Navy studs....."dude, fight me for jets"

coastie111

CG Rotary Wing and Fixed Wing Selection

Has anyone heard if there is still an increased need for CG fixed wing pilots. I know this was the case over the past few years; however, I have been hearing rumors that the need for fixed wing pilots has diminished and there is an increasing need for rotary wing pilots (at least more so than compared to a few years ago). Any info on the topic is much appreciated.

Brunes

pilot
Right now the mix is generally about 60-40 to rotary. HOWEVER- As the Ocean Sentry comes online we are slowly creating a deficit of pilots...on the order of 200 bodies once all the Falcons are gone and all the 144's are up.

It's not a big deal right now cause the 144 program is small- but give it a years and it'll start to show.
Numbers for helos should stay fairly consistant as we aren't adding helos to the inventory- just adjusting hours and compensating for normal force changes.

I hope that answers your question
PS: That's just the snap shot right now...The truth changes regularly.

sardaddy

pilot
actually, we added 13 H-65s this year. We are short on pilots in both rotary and fixed but fixed is still the push for now since we cannot get all of the helicopter pilots we have to their transition courses. We have three flight billets at our unit being filled by pilots who have no idea when they will get qualified in the aircraft they were hired to fly.

Brunes

pilot
Good info on the 65s coming into service.
Not good about the T Courses...I want to fly 65s...and I suck at being patient.

actually, we added 13 H-65s this year. We are short on pilots in both rotary and fixed but fixed is still the push for now since we cannot get all of the helicopter pilots we have to their transition courses. We have three flight billets at our unit being filled by pilots who have no idea when they will get qualified in the aircraft they were hired to fly.