• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF seems to be having a difficult week

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
First they lose a hi-tech spy drone over Iran last week without destroying it - and now the Iranians have shown it (intact) on TV - and today we learn that Dover AFB allowed remains of American KIAs to be cremated and dumped by private contractors in landfills in northern Virginia. The Navy allowed an EP-3 to fall into the hands of the PRC some 10 years ago, so we've had our own issues, but these events were totally under AF control and yet this happened. Unacceptable, IMHO.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
First they lose a hi-tech spy drone over Iran last week without destroying it - and now the Iranians have shown it (intact) on TV - and today we learn that Dover AFB allowed remains of American KIAs to be cremated and dumped by private contractors in landfills in northern Virginia. The Navy allowed an EP-3 to fall into the hands of the PRC some 10 years ago, so we've had our own issues, but these events were totally under AF control and yet this happened. Unacceptable, IMHO.

The RQ-170 issue is still being brought to light so I don't know how much fault will lie with the Air Force on this issue. (Plus was it an Air Force UAV? I wouldn't be surprised if other government agencies are not flying them.)

The fact that American service members who paid the ultimate price have been treated in this manner BY OTHER MEMBERS OF THE MILITARY is absolutely inexcusable. In addition to being illegal, personnel involved need to (at a minimum) lose a career over this issue.

If American military members are unable or unwilling to show some respect and courtesy to members of the military who died in combat, I can only conclude that the era of American exceptionalism is truly over and our culture is rotting from within.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
That UAV might not have been under USAF control......I'll stop typing now.
Thanks. You're correct. I don't know and should not have assumed USAF control. This may not be an acceptable subject for an unclas board. I apologize if I've jumped the gun here.

MPH

More importantly: Did that US flag they displayed it on have skulls instead of stars and a picture of the statue of liberty holding an M-16?

I'll be running for office on the platform that we change our flag to THAT.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
WTF? Self-destruct mechanisms have been around since I was a pup???

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
WTF? Self-destruct mechanisms have been around since I was a pup???
That also assumes that you're in contact with/control of the vehicle. Hard to press the destruct button when the thing's receiver has shit the bed.

Brett

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That also assumes that you're in contact with/control of the vehicle. Hard to press the destruct button when the thing's receiver has shit the bed.

Brett
Good point.

However a long-long-time-ago, we had self-destruct on some avionics that was G-induced, and not ever operator induced. The secret stuff screwed itself into oblivion all by itself!

Of course from the photos, crash-induced Gs were not apparent. Nevertheless, with such sensitive and high-tec stuff, there should be back-up destructs. No?

OK. Maybe next time. What a novel idea!

The below embed video will self-destruct in 5 seconds!

Flying Toaster

None
There are a lot of reasons they would say that.

I will say the drone I saw in the video looked like it was made out of cardboard... Maybe one of these days we should allow them to shoot down a mockup with everything done wrong and let the Chinese/Ruskies spend the next decade trying to figure out why tinfoil doesn't make their jets stealth.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Little known fact: the space shuttle had explosives strapped to the SRB's and fuel tank, for "self-destruct" purposes, albeit controlled by an AF RSO

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Little known fact: the space shuttle had explosives strapped to the SRB's and fuel tank, for "self-destruct" purposes, albeit controlled by an AF RSO
Used on SRBs during the Challenger mishap.

Brett