• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN USAF Growler Pilots....

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Thin ice @Griz882 - we are on double secret probation!

But genuinely curious about AF front seaters in Growler...

Last edited:

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
This just started recently (within the last two years). First guy showed up to an operational squadron about 6 months ago I think. They are all Cat 1s fresh out of flight school.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This has been an on again, off again thing over the years going back to the Prowler days. I think the distinction here is that the USAF is sending Cat 1 pilots, which is relatively new. We're looking at getting one of these guys through the GTI course eventually, so we can retain them in the broader community.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
This has been an on again, off again thing over the years going back to the Prowler days. I think the distinction here is that the USAF is sending Cat 1 pilots, which is relatively new. We're looking at getting one of these guys through the GTI course eventually, so we can retain them in the broader community.
Did he - or will subsequent AF folks go to the boat as part of CAT 1 syllabus in the Growler?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did he - or will subsequent AF folks go to the boat as part of CAT 1 syllabus in the Growler?
There have been a couple Prowler USAF guys do day only CQ at the boat in the FRS, but all USAF Growler folks go to Exped squadrons.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they're Cat Is, do they have a follow-on community already IDed? Or is the AF punting and saying "you're a G pilot for now; we'll figure the rest out later?"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they're Cat Is, do they have a follow-on community already IDed? Or is the AF punting and saying "you're a G pilot for now; we'll figure the rest out later?"
Unknown, but I presume they go to the fighter communities.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Pilot won't go to the boat, some EWO's have been to the boat, but more of a professional development good deal, or bad deal however you want to view it, but they ultimately end up Exped. Follow on orders for the CAT1's is up in the air. but most were prior USAF fighter selects, that got the opportunity after initial selection post wings(they may be able to dream sheet it now). Prob a decent chance they could go nex gen, having gained deeper knowledge about the battle space. but I doubt anything is limited. Seems to be a vast and wide variety of experience/ communities coming as CAT others.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had this discussion with some of the USAFWS instructor cadre last time I was in Nellis. The prevailing opinion was that they'd end up flying F-35s or F-22s based on the EW experience they gained in Growlers.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The first two 'CAT I' USAF ECMO/EWO's came through the RAG about the time I was leaving Whidbey, 'promised' follow-on orders were F-15's but no guarantee. None of the USAF Prowler guys thought that was a good idea at the time but that is what big USAF had decided.

Pilot won't go to the boat, some EWO's have been to the boat, but more of a professional development good deal, or bad deal however you want to view it, but they ultimately end up Exped.

Almost all USAF Nav's went to the boat when I went through, it was seen as a good deal then.