• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF cuts powerlines with an A-10

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
We always joked about using a Mav against a certain P-3F and wondered if the thing would actually lock on and have enough energy to hit something airborne moving that "fast"...oh to be the guy who tried....
Pickle

Lawman

None
We always joked about using a Mav against a certain P-3F and wondered if the thing would actually lock on and have enough energy to hit something airborne moving that "fast"...oh to be the guy who tried....
Pickle

Army tested the longbow hellfire (radar) against subsonic fixed wing to great effect. It's on of the reasons they stopped funding the software to put the stingers on. Though I'd be curious to see what they'd do now as old as all the Lima models still in service are.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Army tested the longbow hellfire (radar) against subsonic fixed wing to great effect. It's on of the reasons they stopped funding the software to put the stingers on. Though I'd be curious to see what they'd do now as old as all the Lima models still in service are.

I shot down a couple of P-3's in the 60H sim with Hellfire. I had a smile on my face for a couple of days after that!!!

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

You're joking right?

Lawman

None
You're joking right?

Totally serious. It's not gonna bring down a Fulcrum at close to the speed of sound but its not gonna have much trouble chasing down a hind or an Iranian cobra or some slow fixed wing like an AN-2.

All 64s have had the hard wear to bolt on the stinger kits (2 tubes per wingtip) but with the ATIRCMs or CMWS kits you can't mount them. even if you could, they never paid Boeing to expand the software to actually use it in the cockpit. I think Singapore and Japan have paid for it, but with the Japanese it might be a home grown system.

Lawman

None
I shot down a couple of P-3's in the 60H sim with Hellfire. I had a smile on my face for a couple of days after that!!!

Yeah ive done similar stuff, and It'll work, but for real effect against another aircraft you need to use flechettes while yelling to the other crew member how you're "gonna kill him now!"

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Totally serious. It's not gonna bring down a Fulcrum at close to the speed of sound but its not gonna have much trouble chasing down a hind or an Iranian cobra or some slow fixed wing like an AN-2.

I didn't think the Longbow and L model hellfire had the ability to track airborne targets. Cool nonetheless.

Lawman

None
I didn't think the Longbow and L model hellfire had the ability to track airborne targets. Cool nonetheless.

The system is a lot smarter than what we paid to actually use. It'll give you a B scope only view on your MPD and its currently a ground or air mode only but AESA is coming apparently. What's great is it will overlay icons into your Helmet Mounted Sight so for traffic avoidance it's a great system. It's just to heavy to fly with in most of the Afgan AO.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The system is a lot smarter than what we paid to actually use. It'll give you a B scope only view on your MPD and its currently a ground or air mode only but AESA is coming apparently. What's great is it will overlay icons into your Helmet Mounted Sight so for traffic avoidance it's a great system. It's just to heavy to fly with in most of the Afgan AO.

Is that just giving you raw data or does it also give you Mode data? Obviously a different kind of radar, but apparently ATC is not happy when Mode III/C is queried in the -60R. It supposedly messes up their system so you're only supposed to use it over the ocean. Obviously everyone complies with that, because having additional SA is over-rated.

Just curious if you had heard anything like that with your system.

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
Is that just giving you raw data or does it also give you Mode data? Obviously a different kind of radar, but apparently ATC is not happy when Mode III/C is queried in the -60R. It supposedly messes up their system so you're only supposed to use it over the ocean. Obviously everyone complies with that, because having additional SA is over-rated.

The Rhino is constantly interrogating virtually anything in our forward quarter. Haven't heard any complaints.

Lawman

None

No IFF or any kind of transponders, velocity, direction, etc.

In a way it's insultingly simple, like they went "wait... Army pilots can't possibly understand this if it involves more than 8 words in a sentence." So all it speaks is 6 words of wheeled, tracked, ADA, etc. for aircraft it's 2 types and its based on velocity. Anything moving under about 210 is gonna classify as a helicopter to it. Other than that it just has three velocity thresholds of stationary, almost stationary, and moving. It can see so much more and so much further than we've limited it too for the sake of simplicity.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......."wait... Army pilots soldiers can't possibly understand this if it involves more than 8 words in a sentence."........

I think that is pretty much how Army thinks of everyone.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Yeah we're having the same issues in P-8 land, can't turn on our interrogator, but at least now we have TCAS and L16 which are definitely good for the SA.