• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF cuts powerlines with an A-10

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I've heard some pretty cool stories about the uniquely difficult art of hunting attack helicopters from a jet. Supposedly it's not as cut and dried as jet guys might like to think.
Assuming the helo crew has some level of training, it is a fun day for us. Not as one sided as you would think, and a fun way to send the pointy nose guys home with g-measels and no kill.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Its not nearly as cool as you would think it is, it's just one more thing for some dorks to nerd out on. Aim-9 knowledge in the Cobra community consists of taking a test and the dude with the highest score gets to go shoot it at a flare, dude with the lowest score gets to be the unlucky asshole to launch the flare. That happens every once in awhile.

<---- starts countdown to first blue on blue Cobra shootdown with an AIM-9 in training.

Lawman

None
Its not nearly as cool as you would think it is, it's just one more thing for some dorks to nerd out on. Aim-9 knowledge in the Cobra community consists of taking a test and the dude with the highest score gets to go shoot it at a flare, dude with the lowest score gets to be the unlucky asshole to launch the flare. That happens every once in awhile.

Given how long (or short real) a burning flare is actually a good decoy compared to an aircraft... That's terrifying

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Legend has it a CIA P-3 shot down a PRC Mig with said sidewinder.
Late breaking news, as P-8s arrive to replace the P-3s, the retiring WarPigs will be upgraded to become 'low-speed' Patrol Fighter Attack (P/F/A-3 1/2), to fill the shoes of the cancelled F-35 which could only bolter instead of full-stop landing aboard ship. The upgraded aircraft will carry 16 AIM-9s/24 MK-82s, and be known as the P/F/A-3 1/2 "Orionet"! :eek:
Please don't sink my dreams...:(
Sleep tight Boy'San, your dreams are safe... :p
BzB

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I've heard some pretty cool stories about the uniquely difficult art of hunting attack helicopters from a jet. Supposedly it's not as cut and dried as jet guys might like to think.

Pre-merge it was not fun.
Post-merge (with the helo turn rate) it was a lot of fun.
And then he dropped a bomb on me.....

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Late breaking news, as P-8s arrive to replace the P-3s, the retiring WarPigs will be upgraded to become 'low-speed' Patrol Fighter Attack (P/F/A-3 1/2), to fill the shoes of the cancelled F-35 which could only bolter instead of full-stop landing aboard ship. The upgraded aircraft will carry 16 AIM-9s/24 MK-82s, and be known as the P/F/A-3 1/2 "Orionet"! :eek:

I read a book about that concept once.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
......UK instituted crash program to add aerial refueling to many platforms during the Falklands War in 1982 as well as Sidewinder capability to its Nimrods and Shrike capability to its Vulcans........

The reason they added that capability is the Nimrods patrolling ahead of the UK task force on it's way down to the Falklands encountered Argentine 707s that were acting as MPAs several times. They wanted to be able to shoot them down if they encountered them once the shooting started so they added the ability to carry Sidewinders but didn't encounter them again after the mod.

The 'crash mod' aerial refueling kit unfortunately may have eventually contributed to the early retirement of the Nimrod fleet. One was lost over Afghanistan due to a fuel leak that probably happened after an aerial refueling. The setup was a bit primitive and apparently they didn't improve on it much after the initial mod, coupled with other mods over the years hadn't been fully tested the end result was unfortunate.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
And then he dropped a bomb on me.....

In all seriousness, I always thought that the P-3 would've been great in the Harvest Hawk role. I know it would've required digital stores and a couple other upgrades, but I think it would've been worth it in the end.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
What he described is pretty much the same way we do AIM-9 shoots, except the part about the low score.

I won't say that this method is wrong, or dangerous (because it probably isn't), but it is wildly different than the WSEP shoot where I honked off a Sparrow (and fellow JOPA hosed rammers and AIM-9's at).