• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Updated list of things to bring?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
It's not so much the boots as the insoles I'll be having made to go inside. I just want to make sure old problems don't resurrect themselves. Thanks again.
Oh. Did yours run true to size?

I tried on a few pairs before I got the ones I have. They are pretty good about sizing you properly.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
You'll be given plenty of time to size your shoes to your feet, by length and width. Secondly, you'll be given time at some point to purchase specialized insoles. Lastly, if you have customized orthotics or something, I seem to recall people bringing them in during indoc, or getting them soon after from their personal vehicles

gsd1862

I have seen a few different posts on what to bring to OCS, but they all are sparse.
What would be a good idea to bring to OCS and be able to access (not put in our seabag and get put in the lucky room) throughout the entire time we are there. ex. If I were to bring a bible would I be able to read it everyday from indoc until graduation or would it get put in my seabag? thanks for the advice!

Ezekiel

Falling, with style
None
If you bring your Bible, they will let you keep it. If you don't want to bring your own, the Chaplain will give you one.

beaverslayer

pilot
If you bring your Bible, they will let you keep it. If you don't want to bring your own, the Chaplain will give you one.

True. No one will take it away from you, but if you don't want to risk having it messed up in a hurricane, just grab one from the Chaplain. Most of the staff wouldn't mess with it intentionally if they broke into your war locker, but accidents happen. I left mine in my lucky bag and used the one I got from the Chaplain.

jtmedli

pilot
Your OCS success starter's kit: (from a previous thread I replied to)

I'm starting Candi-O when I go back after Christmas and a few things that have been clutch for me were:

1) Spray Starch: Don't bring that sta-flo shit, just bring 2 or 3 bottles of spray starch and share with the company. Yes there is probably some there, but having your own make things easier and make you popular.
2) Blue Painter's Tape: Marking gear for RLP and marking all the broken crap in your hatch...and there will be broken crap in your hatch.
3) Clear Nail-polish: For then ends of your belts and belt-loops to keep those nasty little IPs from popping up on you. Some class teams won't allow it and others will.
4) A wrist-watch with an alarm clock on it AND battery powered alarm clock: If you wake up right at 0500 (reveille) then you're already late.
5) 2 extra white towels: You'll need the issued ones for RLP and doing laundry those first 2 weeks is tough.
6) GOOD BOOT SOCKS: Fox River or Thorlo boot socks will save your feet. My boots that I was issued sucked and almost everyone's hurt their feet in one way or the other because you're on your feet for 16 hours a day (at least).
7) Toothpaste and toothbrush: You'll need the little issued tube for RLP so bring a big tube.
8) Shaving Cream: Get the "gel" shaving cream for two reasons 1) When polishing boots you'll need it to get the clear-coat off of them 2) shaving (obviously).
9) Good White T-shirts/Undies: The white t-shirts and undies they issue you aren't very good so take some good ones with you. Hanes ComfortSoft are the ones I prefer.
10) Deodorant (obviously, but bring an extra stick cause the NEX doesnt have everything and unlimited NEX runs aren't guaranteed)
11) Super/Krazy glue...a couple tubes will help the whole company out come RLP time.
12) Hair/Body wash combo stuff. (saves time in the shower)

Everything you're issued on day 1 is pretty much either too small to last you anywhere near 12 weeks or is needed for RLP so be weary of what you break out. I had enough stuff in my lucky bag that I didn't need any of that stuff and saved my self some grief when it came time for RLP.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
9) Good White T-shirts/Undies: The white t-shirts and undies they issue you aren't very good so take some good ones with you. Hanes ComfortSoft are the ones I prefer.

With the change to NWU's, do you even need to bring white t-shirts? They've been removed from the OCS website's packing list completely.

Ezekiel

Falling, with style
None
I think you still need them to wear under khakis, SDBs, etc. Just my guess.

Exactly. You won't wear a white shirt until after RLP, so you can wear the issued ones if you want, but it might be nice to have some better quality stuff. Definitely not something you need to bring in the first day.

jtmedli

pilot
With the change to NWU's, do you even need to bring white t-shirts? They've been removed from the OCS website's packing list completely.

Yes, but Just bring a 3 or 4 pack of good white t-shirts. The issued ones suck. Just a tip: buy them a size smaller than you usually wear so they don't "bacon neck" on you.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Good deal. The reason I asked was because I read a while back someone recommending bringing like 3 weeks worth since laundry time is at a premium. But if you're not wearing them until you get into Candi-O phase, it would seem awfully silly to have that many shirts.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
How often is laundry? Do you turn your nasty clothes in to have base laundry do them or are there a bank of washers/dryers somewhere in the barracks? I'd assume it gets pretty grody during those first three weeks without laundry.

beaverslayer

pilot
When I went through, the Candios had to wash one set of our PT gear every night for the first week. You wear PT gear under your poopy suit, so that's mostly what gets nasty anyways. After that your class will share about 4 barely functional washers and dryers with the rest of the regiment, so make everything last as long as possible before you wash it. NWU's basically never need to be washed, unless of course you get thrown in the SUYA.

jtmedli

pilot
How often is laundry? Do you turn your nasty clothes in to have base laundry do them or are there a bank of washers/dryers somewhere in the barracks? I'd assume it gets pretty grody during those first three weeks without laundry.

Laundry is done whenever you can find time for it..which isn't very often. There are washers/dryers in Nimitz Hall, but at least half of them are broken or disfunctional in one way or another. There is no guarantee when you'll get a chance to wash clothes so take plenty of extra undies.