• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Updated list of things to bring?

badger16

None
If anyone is really worried about adjusting to the cold...You can come to my house for about a month or so before you leave for OCS...-10(with windchill) the other morning on my way to work and we just got about 6' of snow today with more expected...we are just warming up for winter...figuratively speaking:D

nugget81

pilot
To add to what's already been said...wearing under armour is a bad idea at OCS. Our DI found not one, but two people within five minutes of each other, who had not stamped the inside collar of their PT shirt (this was during PT mind you). That earned our class another two trips bearcrawling down the hallway and back. Ahh memories!

WIDGET

I'm currently in OCS... so the gouge is pretty darn up to date.
YES - BRING UNDERARMOUR!!!! The only reason I don't wear it is because I'm not buying another $50 pair of running pants when I have a perfectly good pair at home that I was too scared to bring.
That being said, KEEP THEM IN YOUR CAR!! The candi-o's basically pack your bag for you so they won't let you take any contraband on the shuttle van anyway. You'll eventually get POV runs ... BE SMART. You can wear underarmor as long as it's not visable. As soon as it becomes visable, they'll say you're trying to be an individual. You're not going to want to wear it during PT b/c there's always a chance you'll have to strip the sweats and be in shorts and a t-shirt. (Kinda hard to hide any under clothing.) But, it is snowing right now, so if you wore it under your khaki trousers, I don't see it being a problem. Most of us wear them now, though we are in the candi-o stage and the drill instructors are much more lenient.
My advice, bring your underarmor and leave it in your car. At least then you'll have the choice to wear it or not. Most of my class had to run to the NEX and buy long johns.

Optimum11

Badger I feel ya! I'm in Maine and we are expecting a good ole fashion Nor'easter this weekend (2nd one in 2.5 weeks). RI should be getting a bit of that. Should make for an interesting Pats game this weekend in Mass.
My two cents on the UA, probably not the best idea especially since there is always that one guy with the skin tight bright colored UA shirt. Talk about a good way to stand out.......

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I'm currently in OCS... so the gouge is pretty darn up to date.
YES - BRING UNDERARMOUR!!!! ...more words...
Candios can pretty much wear anything under their sweats but as an OC I can't remember how many times I ghosted myself crab-walking or worse getting pants'd buddy bear-crawling or some other goofy exercise... point is, there is a VERY good chance of having what you're wearing being clear as day to the DIs (especially since there will be more indoor PT days over the winter).
Like anything at OCS it's an individual choice, but a group consequence. Don't be that guy or girl all nice and comfortable while your shipmates are freezing to death...and then get caught.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
.... As soon as it becomes visable, they'll say you're trying to be an individual. ..

and when they tell you what to wear for PT, wear it. Had two dudes in the class next to mine on the PT field show up one morning wearing their sweat pants/shirt... but no shorts on under. so when the DI said to strip down to shorts (it wasn`t that cold out, being FL in January)...they took of their pants and were standing their in their jock straps. Oh yeah, it was also a graduation day so all the parents were there, with cameras. The shriek of pure anger from two of the DI`s was quite comical.

Needless to say those two INDIVIDUALS had a very full PT session.

Point is - if they`d just done as they were told, and been like everybody else, they wouldn`t have invited such wrath.

Was pretty funny though.

Is there a point when Under Armour is allowed to be worn at OCS? I couldn't find this question answered anywhere in previous threads. An ensign working at my recruiter's office seemed to think that during Candio phase we might be able to. Just want to know if I should pack that stuff.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
if you're prone to chaffing while running, I would highly recommend you bring a couple of sticks of this, if possible:

BodyGlide Anti-Chafing Stick

Works wonders...

If you wanted to get really sneaky, you could always affix a real deodorant label to it :D

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Is there a point when Under Armour is allowed to be worn at OCS? I couldn't find this question answered anywhere in previous threads. An ensign working at my recruiter's office seemed to think that during Candio phase we might be able to. Just want to know if I should pack that stuff.

This has been discussed in numerous threads on the site, and I found a few with under armour in the thread title by just typing it into the search.

Short answer: I recommend against bringing expensive underwear/undershirts to OCS, particularly gear that is marked with brand labels like under armor. At best they'll sit in your drawer for 10 weeks; at worst they'll get lost or damaged during a hurricane.

This has been discussed in numerous threads on the site, and I found a few with under armour in the thread title by just typing it into the search.

Short answer: I recommend against bringing expensive underwear/undershirts to OCS, particularly gear that is marked with brand labels like under armor. At best they'll sit in your drawer for 10 weeks; at worst they'll get lost or damaged during a hurricane.

Hurricanes in Rhode Island?

That's strange, I couldn't find a damn thing even when I searched by threads and by posts.

Ok I guess I'll just leave it at home.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yep, hurricanes in RI. They occur year 'round, too.

EDIT: I also should've included the fact that your skivvies are going to be so rank and nasty by the end of OCS, you'll be buying more anyway.