• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms @ Tbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clux4

Banned
Quick question. I am new to the forum, but this might have been covered somewhere. I have looked at some of the posts but non has really talked about this.

Has any of the prior enlisted heard of the possibility of exchanging sets of enlisted Service Alpha's and Dress blue Alpha's (blouse) at the cash sales or some place in Quantico. I heard all you have to do is walk in with a promotion warrant and a fair exhange would be made. Can anyone confirm this or otherwise advice on what to do with old set.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I haven't heard of that, but I don't think it's realistic. The officer uniforms cost A LOT more than the enlisted. I'm sure the USMC thinks you're earning enough money to afford a new set. Some priors will get the piping taken off. Don't do that. It looks like crap. Just pawn your old stuff at the base thrift shop or the "We Buy Dress Blues" places outside any base.

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
Get your enlisted Alphas converted if they're still serviceable. For Blues, you have to buy a new (officer) blouse. The blues trousers can still be used. You just exchange the NCO blood stripe for the Officer version.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Be careful on converting the enlisted alphas to officer TBS inspections are brutal. If there is even a hint of a wear mark where the rank used to be it will be unservicable. The uniforms cost a lot but make sure they leave plenty of amterial to let them out as I unfortunately am learning measured at 22 in TBS doesnt fit as well at 30 in a squadron. Just some gouge

Clux4

Banned
Really, left to me i will love to keep the Alphas and the Blues, but some Gunny was telling me that it was possible so i decided to check-up on it.

Also are we going to be required to buy the white pants to go with the blues. Really i have read so many threads and have heard people talking about getting loans to buy Uniforms. Is it really that bad, i mean we got everything free when i went through P.I in '99 or maybe things have changed.
Can anyone give me a break down as to overal cost, so i can start saving and not blow everything at the bar.

Thanks ones again

Taxman2A

War were declared.
yes, you really will have to buy white trousers as well...
You will be nickle and dimed at TBS, right down to paying for MRE's.

I was not a salty prior at TBS, so I bought everything from scratch. I think everything from corfams to "all weather coat" cost in the $2,000 range... I put it on a credit card before getting commissioned and paid it off at TBS however much it was.

Clux4

Banned
Even MRE's. Hell, i am tired of those things. I will go out to the PX and buy some nice chow. I thought food was covered at TBS as in chow. This is ridiculous. So basically, they give you that money and then turn around and ask for it. I have always been lucky to have friends at cash sales, so i used to get free stuff, but i guess i will have to pay now.

Damn, i forgot it was the Marine Corps.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
officers have to pay for all uniforms while enlisted personell get them provided. There are really low interest laons available at TBS for uniforms etc I think it was 1%apr or something not a bad deal

Jester

pilot
The PX at TBS offers no intrest 12 month loans for their uniforms. That's what I used. Finally got it payed off last month.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Taxman2A said:
I was not a salty prior at TBS....
I'm a prior and didn't feel "saltly"......the reservists were saltly enough for everyone!

Seriously though

The only thing I kept from my enlisted uniforms was the Blues trousers. I hit a growth spurt at about 22-23 right after I got out, so I couldn't have worn the blouses anyhow. But I do agree that you might as well purchase new uniforms, as stated before, 'converted' stuff can look unsat. Like Jester, I also used the PX because I was very hesitant about the Marine Shop.

I don't miss all the """"DUES"""" they have at TBS, seems like every week we had to fork over money for something.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Clux4 said:
Even MRE's. Hell, i am tired of those things. I will go out to the PX and buy some nice chow.

You can buy good chow if you want, but you will still have to pay for the MRE's... They automatically deduct them from your LES, and they aren't cheap either. They charged us $35 for a box of 12, and said we had to eat 3 per day every day we were in the field. This means that if you went to the field for a week you had to take 15 with you. (Because oh yes, our platoon staff would do spot checks to make sure we packed our entire gear list). I don't know about you, but if I'm going to eat 4500 calories a day it sure as hell isn't going to be all MRE... This reminds me, next time you are in TA-16 please water the MRE trees I planted.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
E5B said:
I don't miss all the """"DUES"""" they have at TBS, seems like every week we had to fork over money for something.

Those mother ****ing dues pissed us all off... We had to pay $40 the first week of every month. When we complained and wanted to know where the money was going the answer was always "Mess Night costs thousands and thousands of dollars". Then all of a sudden Mess Night comes around, and they collect 40 dollars for the month, and then in addition they collected another 50 dollars for mess night!!! When we asked for an explanation they wouldn't give us one...

You do the math... a 200 person company paying 40 dollars a person for 6 months, and then a 50 dollar a person kicker...

Reactions: E5B

jagges84

Semper Gumby "Always Flexible"
When they say Lts have Own ALL uniforms, does that include Mess Dress? If not, when do you buy them? I heard that costs ALOT.

Also, on the same note, I saw the boatcloak on the uniform website. Has anyone actually seen that worn?

Thanks
Jagges

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
you don't need mess dress till O-4...
well, you can wear them before, but you'll be laughed at

Clux4

Banned
I thought Marines at TBS are already Marine Corps officers. Why should you be forced to buy and then bring MRE on a FEX. What is now the difference between a private and a Lt. If a Lt. does not think he needs to bring chow for a three day FEX then i don't think the Capt. should worry too much about that.
Mess night. At least they made $60,000 from Lt. in a period of 6 months towards a mess night. This is more than enough to throw a Marine Corps ball with soo many chow an buzz for everyone. It is just ridiculous how some things just don't add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.