• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms! Holy Cow! These puppies are expensive! (Bonus: Tax writeoff gouge)

dephyler

Contributor
When to wear the uniform?

As a reservist, I'm trying to learn how to judge when to wear or not wear a uniform.

This Friday I've been invited to take my civilian bosses to the Blue Angels rehersal as a DoD "Thanks" to supportive employers. It's a civilian event, but a uniform is optional. Any opinions on this? Should I wear it?

Is there a general rule of thumb to follow?

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I don't think there's anything that says you can't wear your uniform. See what other people in your reserve unit are doing and decide accordingly if there's no command guidance beyond "uniform optional". If you decide to wear it make sure you're in an appropriate uniform for the event and that it looks sharp.

Renegade One

None
In general, if you're attending an event "because" of your Reserve status, uniform is appropriate, unless it's a beach barbeque or something where no one would be in uniform. In this case, you being the DoD "host" for your employer(s) (in other words, your Reserve status is the reason they were invited), sounds like an appropriate occasion. Echo the suggestions in the first response as well.

bucki4lyfe

Michigan Sucks
Folks,

Feel free to counter my point of view, but my understanding is that you can wear the uniform fairly liberally...at events like the one listed above, and others including but not limited to military things like Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, or personal things like taking pictures on the National Mall in DC (as my friends have done many times)

...just don't wear it to political/religious/anit-government rallies. : )

Again, my understanding is that you are your rank at all times...and you are authorized by your commission/enlistment documents to represent that rank in uniform...just do it professionally.

Just a thought.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
As a reservist, I'm trying to learn how to judge when to wear or not wear a uniform.

This Friday I've been invited to take my civilian bosses to the Blue Angels rehersal as a DoD "Thanks" to supportive employers. It's a civilian event, but a uniform is optional. Any opinions on this? Should I wear it?

Is there a general rule of thumb to follow?

Totally appropriate to be in uniform. Enjoy.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Folks,

Feel free to counter my point of view, but my understanding is that you can wear the uniform fairly liberally...at events like the one listed above, and others including but not limited to military things like Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, or personal things like taking pictures on the National Mall in DC (as my friends have done many times)

Again, my understanding is that you are your rank at all times...and you are authorized by your commission/enlistment documents to represent that rank in uniform...just do it professionally.

Just a thought.

Correct. I guess the above would be the most succinct way of saying it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Folks,

Just a thought.

The difference is that the OP is a reservist, so he's not "in the military" at all times. He is, but you get my point. He's asking because he's trying to balance his civilian job and boss w/ his military pride.

None of this negates what has already been recommended, though. Wear of the uniform is totally appropriate.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The difference is that the OP is a reservist, so he's not "in the military" at all times.
Really, then why was I spending so many days "working" for the Navy when I wasn't drilling? It really isn't different then active duty. You have a job and responsibilities. You get them done, period. You don't check out of the Navy at the end of a drill weekend any more then you drop everything at 1700 on Friday when active duty. I flew plenty on weekends and over night on active duty, and after full days or weeks of work. In the Reserves I frequently had work to do, calls to make and even people to see, in uniform, when not getting any drill credit or pay. For the most part you wear your uniform like any active duty guy. No active duty guy wears his uniform to the grocery store or to a movie or a baseball game. You wear your uniform as a Reservist when you are representing the Navy or doing any kind of work for the Navy, drilling or not. You wear it to military funerals, military weddings, official awards presentations, career day at the local school, parades, etc. You have a commission, you are in the navy. As stated above, it is appropriate and I'd recommend, wearing the uniform for the event in question.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Really, then why was I spending so many days "working" for the Navy when I wasn't drilling? It really isn't different then active duty. You have a job and responsibilities. You get them done, period. You don't check out of the Navy at the end of a drill weekend any more then you drop everything at 1700 on Friday when active duty. I flew plenty on weekends and over night on active duty, and after full days or weeks of work. In the Reserves I frequently had work to do, calls to make and even people to see, in uniform, when not getting any drill credit or pay. For the most part you wear your uniform like any active duty guy. No active duty guy wears his uniform to the grocery store or to a movie or a baseball game. You wear your uniform as a Reservist when you are representing the Navy or doing any kind of work for the Navy, drilling or not. You wear it to military funerals, military weddings, official awards presentations, career day at the local school, parades, etc. You have a commission, you are in the navy. As stated above, it is appropriate and I'd recommend, wearing the uniform for the event in question.

Whoa, easy. That's why "in the military" was in quotes. My point was that the perspective of a reservists is a little different than a full-time guy and this is proven by the fact that the OP asked the question. You don't wear your uniform to your day job (normally), so it's a legit question. I was NOT saying that as a reservist, you only play Navy on the weekends. I fear me trying explain what I meant is being defeated by my lack of writing ability this morning, but the short of it is I agree w/ everything you said. Notice I also recommended wearing the uniform.

On another note...Wink, can you come work at my squadron? Your work ethic seems a bit more pro-active than about 98% of the officer reservists I work with.

dephyler

Contributor
Thanks guys. I've only been in a year, so I'm still trying to find out how I fit into the bigger picture. And, they really give no uniform guidance to DCOs other than what bling goes with what color.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On another note...Wink, can you come work at my squadron? Your work ethic seems a bit more pro-active than about 98% of the officer reservists I work with.
Hate to say it, but that may be a generational thing. Are these guys Department Heads or hinges? I didn't know anyone that had any seniority, particularly a DH that could get everything done in one weekend. And if you are O-4 with a decent amount of years you should be putting out so you can compete for O-5 and get the retirement. At that point there is too much invested to be a clock watcher.

Thanks guys. I've only been in a year, so I'm still trying to find out how I fit into the bigger picture. And, they really give no uniform guidance to DCOs other than what bling goes with what color.
That is the Reserves fault. I always thought the DCOs were ill prepared for the real world, even if the Reserve world of Council Bluffs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hate to say it, but that may be a generational thing. Are these guys Department Heads or hinges? I didn't know anyone that had any seniority, particularly a DH that could get everything done in one weekend. And if you are O-4 with a decent amount of years you should be putting out so you can compete for O-5 and get the retirement. At that point there is too much invested to be a clock watcher.

A discussion that's probably better served over a beer, but basically I think it's a "pilot in a hardware command" thing. They're DHs, but I'll let you guess who does a majority of the DH work.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A discussion that's probably better served over a beer, but basically I think it's a "pilot in a hardware command" thing. They're DHs, but I'll let you guess who does a majority of the DH work.

I am sorry to hear that. The beer would be nice, oh yeah, the discussion too. I was always on the look out for Reservists perpetuating the half speed, half engaged, stereotype. If we couldn't readjust their attitudes, we kept them sequestered within our own ranks so as not to taint our image. In the mid to late 90s we were actually fat enough on officers we could separate SELRES to the IRR for performance and some guys got fired. These days they probably don't want to lose a soul from the Reserves, so the lame guys just hang around and breath good air and take flying time.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I am sorry to hear that. The beer would be nice, oh yeah, the discussion too. I was always on the look out for Reservists perpetuating the half speed, half engaged, stereotype. If we couldn't readjust their attitudes, we kept them sequestered within our own ranks so as not to taint our image. In the mid to late 90s we were actually fat enough on officers we could separate SELRES to the IRR for performance and some guys got fired. These days they probably don't want to lose a soul from the Reserves, so the lame guys just hang around and breath good air and take flying time.

I think it's definitely cyclicle. There's a bunch of new bodies coming in now, which is good. 6-12 months ago...not so much. As for "half-speed," it may also just be a past command history. I know there's other squadrons that don't/can't afford to experience it (like VR, for example).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it's definitely cyclicle. There's a bunch of new bodies coming in now, which is good. 6-12 months ago...not so much. As for "half-speed," it may also just be a past command history. I know there's other squadrons that don't/can't afford to experience it (like VR, for example).

Flying billets are the brass ring of NAVAIRES. Anyone that doesn't bust a gut to make the gaining command happy with Reserve performance is an idiot. Given the value and competitiveness of those billets I'd hack away at the no loads until I got guys that valued a squadron billet over an NAS augment unit billet. Sorry you aren't getting the kind of support you deserve. It sounds like a little leadership needs to be applied.