• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Under Armour Fit

usmcecho4

pilot
I would go for the Old Polly Pro (you can get this in Q town). I wore it in alpha and it was way thicker, warmer, and cheaper than the issue stuff. Also keep in mind that UA will tear/scuff more easily than cotten/poly pro. From what I saw UA was more a fassion accessory than tactical necessity as far as cold weather is concerned. For warm weather they do dry out a lot more quickly than the cotten stuff. Also bear in mind that you only need one warm UA/poly pro shirt. A lot of people orderd multiple sets but never used them.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

PS If you do order UA get a group order together with your platoon. UA will give you a 50% discount for a bulk mil order.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
That thick poly-pro was gtg for my Fox company fun.
mixing that with a good waterproof windbreaker kept me pretty darn warm even when it dipped into the teens. Fun fun.

I would usually also sport loose fit under armour under it all to wick the sweat and keep dry. That is what I would reccomend.

I kept a cold-gear UA top in my but-pack in case I got really wet and needed a change that was warm. I can't remember if I ever ended up using it or not.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Not sure if anyone brought this up, but I've seen some people nailed on NATOPS checks for wearing them...100% cotton is only "approved" flight undershirt...something about fire in cockpit, blah blah blah...

~That guy...D

Crowbar

None
From what I saw UA was more a fassion accessory than tactical necessity as far as cold weather is concerned.

I think you just nailed it right there. I only wore the UA a few times until I got used to the cold weather. Poly pro and field jacket liner will usually do the trick. If you get really desperate throw a sweatshirt or two over that combo (good luck getting a blouse over that but it can be done). Like was said before, having a spare shirt (UA or otherwise) handy in case you got soaked wasn't a bad idea either.

I still have a ton of UA-shirts, socks, shorts-but I don't wear them with a uniform, I use them for running and biking. Green on green PT gear is about the most non-functional crap to wear for a real workout.

Before you go out and spend lotsa dollars on UA, just wait until you get to TBS and see what the current policy is. Like I said, when I was leaving it was "only in the field". By now it may be "only in your dreams".

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Somebody actually checked the kind of t-shirt the evaluee was wearing? Was it the turtleneck-type UA, blatantly sticking out? Otherwise, that NATOPS evaluator was either really anal, or really gay.

The cotton rule is the real deal, though. There's a safety video of an AH-64 pilot who had to egress through a fire at a FARP. Where his undershirt covered was fine--the rest of him was torched to various degrees. Hey, you want to get yourself laminated in a fire, go ahead.

KBayDog

Poly pro and field jacket liner will usually do the trick.

Dollar for dollar, the field jacket liner is the second greatest piece of gear ever created (next to the poncho liner). It's even better than sliced bread.

Another thing to consider before you become a TBS gear queer and make the UA folks richer is that once you reach Pensacola, you will pretty much have no use whatsoever for cold weather UA gear (for a year or two, at the very least). Even last week, when the temp in Milton reached 30 degrees, the green/green sweatshirt/pant combo was more than enough to keep you warm until 0800, when the temps shot up towards 65. (Also, the dead cows are finally in at NASP gear issue, so you'll have something warm to wear over your bag.) Though I've never been to Corpus, Kingsville, or Meridian, I can't imagine they are much colder than Milton.

You'll spend a month's pay at TBS to Protect This House, and all the gear that seemed so important to buy to "fit in" at TBS (and trained you to be a sea lawyer, as you tried to figure out when UA was/wasn't authorized to be worn) will sit in a box dry-rotting for months/years once you come down to FlorAla. By the time you get winged, assuming you don't get orders to California, Hawaii, or Oki, UA will have even more newer and overpriced nylons for you to wear for the short time you are actually in North Carolina...before you go play in whatever sandbox we are frequenting at the time. (Also, by that time, MCO 1020.34G will have been amended 15 times, all in a devious plot to further disrupt your sea lawyer career.)

Instead, just spend your TBS money on your All Weather Coat (which you will never wear either, but you are required to own).

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Yeah, so UA's fit guide blows. I have large pants and they fit snugly as they are supposed to, I followed their guide for a cold gear shirt and got a large as I am about 5'11, 160. The shirt is HUGE. The length is ridiculous. It is for someone that would have to be like 6'3''. Plus, its not real snug and the arms bunch up as well. Argh.

T-man

I don't know if the UA brand is "authorized" but they are now selling "Elite Issue" at the PX uniform shop in Quantico. It's the same as UA in every way except possibly a slight difference in size/fitting (I bought and have both). I think the "Elite Issue" brand has been given the USMC authorization tag. I also saw an article somewhere recently (I think it was military.com) about the "elite issue" stuff. So no, UA may not be "authorized" but I believe the "Elite Issue" stuff is.