• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Under Armour Authorization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

usmcecho4

pilot
As a TBS student who is preparing to class up with Arctic Alpha I have heard a lot of praise for Under Armour. What type of Under Armor is authorized for wear and with what uniforms?

S/F
usmcehco4

peanut3479

pilot
Technically you can wear whatever you want in terms of Under Armor (color, style) as long as it doesn't show. If you want it to be visible it needs to be "tactical" - o.d. green. Most people I know that used it just had the short sleeve tops in green and wore them instead of skivvies in the field. They sell it at the mainside PX, but the tactical stuff is hard to find - you'll probably have to call Under Armor and order it directly.

Bevo16

pilot
I know that you can't wear it on ship or with a flight suit. OPNAV 3710.7 requires undergarments to be made of natural fibers. If you have a fire in your aircraft, you don't want have your undershirt melted to your skin. That would really ruin your day. I do know have a friend that had a green UA shirt that he used during OCS, but it may have been under his cotton shirt.

d_bossart

Hey Echo, I'm going to Alpha in a couple weeks too. I ordered a pair of the OD green, tactical, cold weather Under Armour at www.americanpublicsafety.com. I have not recieved my order yet (ordered a couple days ago) and they have not sent me a confirmation email. I'm going to call them and check on the status of my order Monday. Anyway, they say that they have the tactical stuff in stock. So give it a shot if you want, but since I have not recieved my order yet I cannot vouch for the company. See you on the 28th!

el_bastardo

I thought UA was alright, but by no means is it the holy grail of cold weather gear. Probably didn't work as well as advertised for me because we were always wearing a flak in the field. As long as you're moving just a little bit like in land nav you're fine, but when you're sitting around for what seems like forever (rifle range) you're going to want your fleece/wooly pulley and what not. You'll quickly learn what works and what doesn't.

Stick with COLD and you'll be alright. Clean, Overheat, Loose and layered, and Dry.

Alpha-2004 out, yut!

KBayDog

Keep in mind that warming layers are useless if you wear them all the time. You need to hold off on putting your layers on until you absolutely cannot stand it anymore. If they are on all the time, you body will simply adjust to its "new" temperature. To dovetail off of teufelhunde, you will be moving a LOT (read: SWEATING), and you absolutely do not want warming layers on while in movement. (As teufelhunde said, the range might be an exception.)

Another thing to consider before you make UA rich is that the Corps (finally) issues good gear. The polypro and fleece are excellent (when you use them correctly). I have been just as warm in the Corps-issue gear when used properly than the geer queers who wear their UA all the time.

Finally, and this is just me: My enlisted-types will be wearing issued gear, so I will, too.

jbelsha53

USMC NFO
None
As far as what's authorized and not, they sell the longsleeve cold gear (without the icon on the neck) at the mainside exchange now...that one's good to go. If you have one with the icon on the neck, just fold the neck under so you can't see it. That's straight from the SPCs ;

peanut3479

pilot
My SPC said the same thing as KBayDog - you don't want your enlisted Marines using the issued stuff and seeing you in UA or other non-issue snivel gear. I'll admit I wasn't in Alpha - I was Bravo - but I didn't have any UA and I never even touched my issue polypro. Your flak will be the best warming layer you have.

Buster245

I was a bravo co guy as well, but a bit further back.

Here's what I have to say. Dont be a gear queer. But dont skimp out either. When you deploy overseas you will appreciate the UA stuff.

And dont get into the mindset that if the enlisted Marines have to use issued gear that you do too. That attitude isnt advised, because:

1) Contrary to popular belief, enlisted Marines have money to burn on gear. Enlisted Marines have a card that gives them 3 square meals a day, and a barracks space rent free. Their only expense is that $1200 pickup they've had since their junior year of high school and the car insurance. They have money to burn on gear like UA, and it's worth their while. I've seen entire grunt companies where every Marine had the UA trash, and they were deployed with me in Afghanistan. The UA is easy to clean, smells less, weighs less (you wear 1 and you pack 1...no need to carry any more than that). And when you're working at 120 degree temps at 9000+ feet, you friggin want some moisture wicking technology to keep cool.

2) If you go around with that attitude that the Marines have to use issued gear, and you underline that point by your own refusal to use the highspeed gear, the Marine wont make the choice for field comfort. He will feel stymied. That's not the impression you want to give to the troops.

3) You wont win any points with your SNCOs by pretending to be a hard dog by refusing to let your Marines buy the gear for troop comfort.

4) You dont get the Marine Corps to fix its issue of gear by refusing to buy gear from third parties. You get the Marines Corps to issue good gear by buying it from third parties. How do you think that PolarTec fleeces, beanies, and gloves appeared in our 782 issue? Or CamelBaks for that matter (although the issued CamelBak leaves a lot to be desired). Or GoreTex? Or neck gaitors? If it weren't for Marines spending their hard earned cash we'd still be humping around with ALICE Packs and ponchos.

Lastly, folks here have talked about pilots not being able to wear synthetics. True. And I wouldnt advise it. However I would recommend that even the average pilot and NFO still pack the UA because there is plenty of time the Marine pilot spends on the deck in extreme hot/cold conditions, not to mention the inevitable tour as a FAC/Air Officer.

Just my experience.

KBayDog

Not to let this turn ugly, but as a former SNCO, "winning points" for being a "hard dog" with my SNCOs is the furthest thing from my mind. In fact, if being comfortable helps Marines do their jobs better, that's good to go.

No, enlisted Marines should not be discouraged from investing in field comforts that will make them more effective - after all, we are professional warriors. And we as leaders should push to get them issued the best gear we possibly can - on the government's dime, not theirs. The bottom line is that in order to be effective, Marines need to have confidence in their weapons and equipment.

That said, seeing an officer shunning issued gear in favor of high-speed trash has an incredible impact on the psyche (and wallet) of a young Marine. I know, I was there.

Crowbar

None
Buster245 said:
1) Contrary to popular belief, enlisted Marines have money to burn on gear.

Holy inaccurate blanket statements, Batman! Yes, there are always enlisted Marines with tons of money. But there are also those who can't afford a haircut because they spend their money on (sometimes) legitimate bills and supporting their families. And don't even start on how some money management would help them. Preach that all you want, it never has and never will solve the problem.

As far as "gear queers", I'd never heard that terminology. I do, however, know way too many "Hey, look at all my toys!" types who make me want to vomit. Like nothing the Marine Corps issues is good enough for them. If somebody buys something for a legitimate purpose and to make their life easier, more power to them. But buying something just to make yourself look cool, regardless of whether or not it's in front of subordinates is just good old fashioned stupidity. As far me, I like the polypro, I save UA for long distance running.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
i somewhat agree with Buster245 on this one

i still remember the faces of our boot 2nd LT's when they would show up for their first field evolution with our platoon doing their gear inspection and we would have Gortex black boots, Gortex gloves, and PolyPro that we bought from REI & Cabelas, while those boot LT's would be wearing issued black jungle boots, black leather gloves with inserts, and long johns ... one Lt of the Berkley persuasion even made us dump that 'highspeed gear' because it wasn't 'authorized' ... ah those fond 0311 days, before all the issued gancy gear of today

as for those enlisted fellas having $$ to blow, well, i for sure fit the description presented by Buster245, and so did most of my buds ... the ones who didn't have the $$ were the dumbasses who had brand new Mustangs or F-150's and credit cards. i can only speak for the single grunts who lived in the barracks though. and for those who might be interested, with these extended deployments going on, i have noticed a lot of Red DoD stickers on many a new Jaguars, BMWs, & Corvettes around here lately ...

S/F

Bevo16

pilot
It sure seems like I had more money when I was an E-4 than I do now as an O-2.

Probably the best advice would be to not spend a lot of cash on anything until you find out the stance that your command is going to have on it. Just as an example, the XO of my fleet squadron wears UA shirts when he goes flying, but they don't let us in the FRS. We can wear them with our flight suit on days when we just have class or a simulator, but not in the aircraft.

Test the waters first, then go to REI and go nuts. Don't be the guy who shows up with all kinds of cool toys an no regulation gear.

Buster245

Definately test out what the command will allow. My command, which is currently gearing up for 7 months in the sandbox, just said today that it was going to buy all SNCOs and Os a thigh holster and a tactical sling for the Sgts and below.

I know that the command was floating the idea of buying UA, too. I know that we're going to be getting the Wiley-X ballistic sunglasses too.

Yut.

Status
Not open for further replies.