• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ultimate Fitness Thread

Seniuram

OP, What pamphlet is that? It looks like something that would actually help a bit. Currently running an 11:30 1.5 but would like to get that sub 10. I know you're headed off in 10 days, so I don't expect a reply necessarily! Good luck man if you have that info that would be great.
It’s the “Pre- Officer candidate school Physical fitness training guide.” Ask your recruiter, they might have one. That where I got mine from.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

After some testing I can say for certain that returning to a regular weightlifting (bodybuilding-type regimen) workout and doing push-ups in a greasing-the-groove fashion rather than cranking out 200-300 every 2-3 days has been doing better for me. Why? Because push-ups are great for muscle memory, but don't really build much strength compared to weight lifting. To get better at push-ups, you need a combination of strength and muscle memory/endurance.

What is greasing the groove? Here's a couple primers.

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/...re-effective-way-to-prepare-for-push-up-tests
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/get-stronger-by-greasing-the-groove/

Basically you do a max rep set of push-ups. Then you do about 50% (depending what you look up, it can vary) of those reps in 1 set every hour or couple hours until you do like 6-10 in a day. So if your max is 70, you'd do 35 at every interval during the day. Then retest again in 2 weeks or some point in the future. The only days I've been skipping are my chest lifting day each week and the day after. The downside? I'm always a bit sore from weight lifting 4 days a week so I'm never 100% when doing push-ups.

After some testing I can say for certain that returning to a regular weightlifting (bodybuilding-type regimen) workout and doing push-ups in a greasing-the-groove fashion rather than cranking out 200-300 every 2-3 days has been doing better for me. Why? Because push-ups are great for muscle memory, but don't really build much strength compared to weight lifting. To get better at push-ups, you need a combination of strength and muscle memory/endurance.

What is greasing the groove? Here's a couple primers.

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/...re-effective-way-to-prepare-for-push-up-tests
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/get-stronger-by-greasing-the-groove/

Basically you do a max rep set of push-ups. Then you do about 50% (depending what you look up, it can vary) of those reps in 1 set every hour or couple hours until you do like 6-10 in a day. So if your max is 70, you'd do 35 at every interval during the day. Then retest again in 2 weeks or some point in the future. The only days I've been skipping are my chest lifting day each week and the day after. The downside? I'm always a bit sore from weight lifting 4 days a week so I'm never 100% when doing push-ups.

I appreciate this anecdote, I am going to give this a shot. I have put StrongLifts on pause, and I hate it. As the article alluded to, It seems greasing the groove will fit nicely with spontaneous "drop down and give me 20" beat downs at OCS. I feel like some bench press could assist with strength.

I have also put squats on pause, and was hoping to throw this back in once running improves, but I also feel like I could benefit from the squats for running similar to the push ups from bench press. Ideally twice a week, not enough rest to get sore, but not too much to hinder running. Doing it once a week seems like a pain.

Bocian

Is there a good treadmill workout plan? I know most people say run outside but i don't have track near me and area around me is very hilly so im either running uphill at a good angle or downhill at an angle. Also even though i have been running for awhile i still get out of breath very fast and usually after only .5 of a mile. What speed should i run at to build endurance? I still can barely run at a 12 minute pace.

AULANI

Is there a good treadmill workout plan? I know most people say run outside but i don't have track near me and area around me is very hilly so im either running uphill at a good angle or downhill at an angle. Also even though i have been running for awhile i still get out of breath very fast and usually after only .5 of a mile. What speed should i run at to build endurance? I still can barely run at a 12 minute pace.

When you say you are running a 12 min pace, is that outside in the hilly area where you live or on a treadmill? I'm confused.

Meyerkord

pilot
Shoot for whatever you need to run a "good low." If you can't hit that right away, start at a pace where you can run a full 1.5 and then slowly increase your speed. You can also incorporate cycling to improve your cardio if you're looking for something more low-impact.

abctotheabc

When I started working out at the end of June my 1.5 mile was 22 minutes. I did treadmill five days a week until August and then ran outside only. Run at comfortable speeds and run longer. 2- 3 miles non-stop if you can. I did a lot of sprints too. Run 0.25 then walk and repeat. I was able to bring it down 10 minutes doing this.

Ranch Dubois

If you're struggling with your air when running I'd try mixing in more 100yard sprints and other high-intensity cardio. It helps build VO2 max, lung strength, and leg strength, which will translate well for the 1.5-3 mile running that you have to do at OCS

AULANI

When I started working out at the end of June my 1.5 mile was 22 minutes. I did treadmill five days a week until August and then ran outside only. Run at comfortable speeds and run longer. 2- 3 miles non-stop if you can. I did a lot of sprints too. Run 0.25 then walk and repeat. I was able to bring it down 10 minutes doing this.
Holy shit dude, way to improve. Nice job!

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
I made this training plan for myself based on where I am fitness wise, but I think it may be useful for others.

Attachments

• OCS Prep plan.pptx
    4.6 MB · Views: 92