• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ultimate Fitness Thread

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Wrote it for anyone that reads and thinks, "oh im just only gonna elliptical then". not critiquing your plan which was obviously not 100% elliptical.

Dude go look up the PFT requirements for NAVY for the standards on 1.5mi and everything else. No clue where you got your 10:30 from.

What SemiLateral said that the Out PFA has a higher standard, but I misspoke when I said 10:30 and I apologize for that. I meant 11:30 which is Good Medium for 20-24, but even there I was wrong since Good Low is taken into consideration and that is what SemiLateral said (12 min).

As for me, I'm an "old" man applying for the Reserve so things would be a bit different as I get more time. While I'm not too happy about DCOIC being what it is (2 weeks? Really?) and didn't find out it was for all Reserve officers (not just medical/legal) until I started the application process, I'm told there's one PFA, so it's do-or-die.

Also, I fully agree with you regarding elliptical. I think anyone who has ever done physical activity should have an idea that elliptical is not the same as running, and yes, shin splints are a major pain. :) The elliptical allows me to go all-out on cardio in a nice air conditioned room while sipping on a bit of water over the course of an hour. It's also been very nice for getting back into running and I'd highly suggest it as a very effective supplement for other folks who are getting back into running.

I will state clearly that nothing replaces running. To effectively get good at running, you need to run. If you can swim across the English Channel or complete 200K bike races, it's still not running. The movement and engagement are just a lot different and stress the body differently, which your body has to get accustomed to.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd love to hear about the couch potato that can run 1.5 miles in 10:30. :D Isn't that the standard for graduating from OCS? If so, you have to be a fairly good runner.
10:30 run for someone in their early 20s is a mediocre time. I usually beat that and I’m 47. If you’re a “fairly good runner,” you should be sub 10 minutes.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

10:30 run for someone in their early 20s is a mediocre time. I usually beat that and I’m 47. If you’re a “fairly good runner,” you should be sub 10 minutes.

I know, I was just poking fun at the couch potato joke. That's very impressive at 47. I could do about 9 at 22, but after not running for years, getting back into it in recent months feels like I never ran to begin with.

123spacego

I do feel like I land more on my left foot (the one with the heel issue) more than my right foot (the leg with the knee issue), but I land more in the middle than the front or back edge. I did increase my speed on Friday and Saturday which is when it started hurting so maybe that's it?

If you run on a treadmill, make sure it is a large enough treadmill. I messed up my knees by running on a treadmill that was too narrow and it messed up my stride. Also, I find it a lot better to set a slight incline for the treadmill. If you run on a track or outdoors, lean forward when you run (nose over toes) this will make you slightly "fall" into each stride propelling you forward and will naturally have you landing on the ball of your foot. If you are striking on your heel or flat footed you are robbing yourself of forward momentum and shocking you knees and shins with each stride.

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
If you run on a treadmill, make sure it is a large enough treadmill. I messed up my knees by running on a treadmill that was too narrow and it messed up my stride.

I'm chuckling imagining someone running with like a meter-width stride and doesn't fit most treadmills.

Last edited:

Rudy.30

I do feel like I land more on my left foot (the one with the heel issue) more than my right foot (the leg with the knee issue), but I land more in the middle than the front or back edge. I did increase my speed on Friday and Saturday which is when it started hurting so maybe that's it?

I would recommend going to a Chiropractor to see if your hips are out of alignment. I had some running pain a few months back and my hips were so out of wack my left leg was a bit shorter than my right. Strange but it might help. It fixed my issue, just a thought.

Meyerkord

pilot
Will your PFAs be done on an outside quarter-mile track at OCS, or is it usually weather dependent?

It is weather dependent. I know in the winter they go indoors a lot.

Yeah if the weather is bad for a PRT you run 20 laps on a tiny ass track in the gym. Otherwise if the weather is bad for regular PT, you PT in Nimitz by sprinting through the P-ways, or you go to Kay (drill hall) and PT there.

peppergunner

ɹǝqɯǝW pǝʇɹǝʌuI
Yeah if the weather is bad for a PRT you run 20 laps on a tiny ass track in the gym. Otherwise if the weather is bad for regular PT, you PT in Nimitz by sprinting through the P-ways, or you go to Kay (drill hall) and PT there.
Indoor gym sounds awful for anyone trying to go for sub-10min. Time lost cornering and trying to lap people.