• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UFOs?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...ts-from-navy-pilots-flying-off-the-east-coast
^ The important takeaway here is that the U.S. Navy continues to eclipse the U.S. Space Force in, well, space stuff. Hooyah.
But the fact that they have TS slides on the incident is interesting, to say the least.
Not uncommon at all for Secret-level sources to end up in TS-level slide decks. The sausage-making at intelligence centers like ONI is a lot less interesting than the American public thinks.

azguy

None
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...ts-from-navy-pilots-flying-off-the-east-coast
^ The important takeaway here is that the U.S. Navy continues to eclipse the U.S. Space Force in, well, space stuff. Hooyah.

Not uncommon at all for Secret-level sources to end up in TS-level slide decks. The sausage-making at intelligence centers like ONI is a lot less interesting than the American public thinks.

"These top-secret files included several "briefing slides" about the incident, provided to the ONI by an unnamed agency."

It's a little ambiguous, but that's not how I read it. This is like an episode of the X-Files...

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That's not how I read it at all. In fact, the title is misleading because it has nothing to do with UFOs. From the article: "So no, as we expected, there isn't any proof here of extremely exotic flying craft or saucers with amazing kinematic performance."

If anything, all it shows is that unexpected encounters with interlopers (other aircraft, UAVs, etc.) in training airspace are reported as a safety hazard (as they should be).

I don't know anything about the Air Force's safety reporting system, but even if they had shared their safety data (which they chose not to), the number of incidents would have likely been a lot lower. There are only two F-22 squadrons at Langley, in comparison with 18 Super Hornet/Hornet squadrons at NAS Oceana.

Besides, it's The Drive, which isn't what I would call a reliable news source.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
"These top-secret files included several "briefing slides" about the incident, provided to the ONI by an unnamed agency."

It's a little ambiguous, but that's not how I read it. This is like an episode of the X-Files...
Eh, maybe the agency is just unnamed to the news reporter, or unnamed to ONI PAO (met him, really great American).

In general, Secret-level info can go into any intelligence center or compartmented office and then get spit back out again at pretty much any classification level. But if I were forced to guess, my first guess would not be Moulder and Scully. Like I said, sausage making.

I don’t really trust The Drive as a news source either, but I posted it bc: a) they’re reporting on it, and b) I thought this thread was at least partly for humor.

I did learn something about the eastern seaboard’s ADIZ from the article. Cool maps.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Quoted from the article....

“On June 27, 2013, an F/A-18F Super Hornet from Strike Fighter Squadron 11 (VFA-11), flying out of Naval Air Station Oceana in Virginia had an encounter with an "aircraft [that] was white in color and approximately the size and shape of a drone or missile" in the W-72 warning area. The jet's crew "visually acquired" it as they saw it "pass down the right side of their aircraft with approximately 200 feet of lateral separation" while flying at an altitude of 17,000 feet. It was climbing and had a visible exhaust trail.”

Clearly it was @Pags and his unauthorized rocket attacks on freedom of the skies.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Quoted from the article....

“On June 27, 2013, an F/A-18F Super Hornet from Strike Fighter Squadron 11 (VFA-11), flying out of Naval Air Station Oceana in Virginia had an encounter with an "aircraft [that] was white in color and approximately the size and shape of a drone or missile" in the W-72 warning area. The jet's crew "visually acquired" it as they saw it "pass down the right side of their aircraft with approximately 200 feet of lateral separation" while flying at an altitude of 17,000 feet. It was climbing and had a visible exhaust trail.”

Clearly it was @Pags and his unauthorized rocket attacks on freedom of the skies.
The people have authorized the rocket attacks as an act of self defense against intruders in to the sovereign airspace of Pagsistan.

Pags

N/A
pilot
That's not how I read it at all. In fact, the title is misleading because it has nothing to do with UFOs. From the article: "So no, as we expected, there isn't any proof here of extremely exotic flying craft or saucers with amazing kinematic performance."

If anything, all it shows is that unexpected encounters with interlopers (other aircraft, UAVs, etc.) in training airspace are reported as a safety hazard (as they should be).

I don't know anything about the Air Force's safety reporting system, but even if they had shared their safety data (which they chose not to), the number of incidents would have likely been a lot lower. There are only two F-22 squadrons at Langley, in comparison with 18 Super Hornet/Hornet squadrons at NAS Oceana.

Besides, it's The Drive, which isn't what I would call a reliable news source.
Yeah, that article was dumb. Guys in some jets came across some crap in the airspace. Some guys write up HAZREPs. The Drive sees a conspiracy because maybe not all incidents make it in to HAZREPS? Yawn. I never had any UAV interactions but have dodged a few mylar balloons that we're probably let go by some kids birthday party. Nothing worth HAZREPing.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, but there were objects. They were flying. And they were unidentified. Thus, they were UFOs.

Now if you want to say the story has nothing to do with aliens, well . . . ?

taxi1

pilot
I still remember the day, heading down to Homestead from NORVA over the Atlantic, and the guys in back got a FO-boner reporting a high altitude Mach 2+ mover coming up from behind us.

Turned out it was the Concorde on its way to Rio, which was cool. I don't think it made many trips on that route.

I still remember the day, heading down to Homestead from NORVA over the Atlantic, and the guys in back got a FO-boner reporting a high altitude Mach 2+ mover coming up from behind us.

Turned out it was the Concorde on its way to Rio, which was cool. I don't think it made many trips on that route.
I saw two aircraft lead trail up in the 40s going about mach 1.9. This was probably 400 miles off the coast of San Diego. They were headed east. That's the best UFO story that I have.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Several of these HAZREPs seem familiar to an experience I had, but off the coast of Japan. Something on radar at a pretty good range. Can't see anything when I get close to it. I come back for another look and have the same radar contact again, but this time I merge with a small, kid's, metallic, helium balloon. Those things must have an RCS the size of a house.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That story is more of a disastrous abortion than most of Rogoway's drivel.
Let me get this straight . . . the NAVAIR CTO says there's a PhD who is currently working, as of 2017, on things that could hypothetically lead to tic-tac-shaped UFO things in the future that will likely be SAPed as soon as built . . . IF they work. But said CTO flat-out admitted that, as of 2017, such things are still impossible. And I'm supposed to believe that this explains something that was allegedly seen thirteen freaking years prior? Get real. The Chinese haven't even figured out how to build a CV with catapults yet, and I'm supposed to believe that they've leapfrogged our own R&D to make UFOs?