• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UC help

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
P.S. Admissions for the UCs have become that "cut and dry," for the guy who asked. You have to apply in November and admissions are only based on grades and SAT scores, with little relevance given to extra-curricular activities.

I'll buy that. The school I went to would let you in if you had a good GPA/SAT. However, the poster said his counselor told him he "couldn't apply" which is ridiculous. You can always apply.

Also, I'm willing to bet that Cal and UCLA still take in to consideration other factors besides just GPA and SATs.

the_suck

I just graduated from a UC and I can guarantee you they look at more than just your high school grades and SAT scores. Community service, personal statement, life hardships, etc. are all taken into consideration.

Honestly, it's not uncommon for someone with marginal academic stat's but a bang-up essay and a great letter of reference to wind up at UCB in the fall.

Sack up and apply. Worse case scenario is you don't get in - big deal. Have a back-up school or two and you'll live.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
The person i have been talking to is my recuiters XO. he used to be enlisted. What military schools do you suggest?

Well, the USNA for one, but it's as hard, if not harder to get into than a UC. But I meant that more as a joke, as I am going to the Virginia Military Institute. The Citadel is another one to look into.

Pags

N/A
pilot
There are plenty of other schools besides UC schools with NROTC programs...like Chunks said LOOK OUTSIDE OF CALI! Look at the NROTC website to see where other schools are...I know there are a few in the NW.

Superclub

pilot
If you're hard set on staying in cali there's san marcos and SDSU, both cal states, therefore not as stringent admission requirements as UC's.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
If you're hard set on staying in cali there's san marcos and SDSU, both cal states, therefore not as stringent admission requirements as UC's.

Yes, but SDSU and Fresno State are some of the harder CSUs to get into. I second(third? Maybe even fourth? :) ) looking outside of California.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
If you cannot get in to SDSU you should really consider how hard you tried in high school.

Oh and I think this might be the first time I have ever pimped out my school: Go Anteaters! (UC Irvine)

Yea our school mascot sucks, but we have a ton of einsteins running around that are making my diploma valuable.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
You could look at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. They have a NROTC unit and admission into the school is not that bad. I lived in SLC for a few years (wife graduated from there) and its a decent place if you dont mind snow and some wacked out politics.
You could come to Cal State Fullerton, no NROTC or Football but you can attend classes with me!! And our Baseball team is good and our mascot is an elephant named tuffy! GO TITANS!!

UCIslandgirl

Oh and I think this might be the first time I have ever pimped out my school: Go Anteaters! (UC Irvine)

Yea our school mascot sucks, but we have a ton of einsteins running around that are making my diploma valuable.

Wait... did you say "Go Anteaters"?! *zot zot* :p

UCIslandgirl

I guess it depends on what core class you got a D in. If it was one of your A-G requirement classes then that *might* be problem. But, some advice from experience: NEVER trust your academic counselor. Their word is not golden. You should just try applying anyway if you're set on going to a UC. Yes, you could always head eastward as long as you're willing to pay out of state tuition.

If you decide to go to a JC I personally don't think it would be a waste of time as long as you keep your grades up. You could finish up your undergrad UC breadth requirements there and then focus on classes for your major once you transfer to a UC.

Not to burst your bubble but, really... UC's aren't all they're cracked up to be. You're paying for a name, not necessarily a great education. Oh yeah... and you'll also be paying for parking but you'll never get a spot.